2020 Jan map available...

Took about an hour in the background while working on other stuff, but I have a really sucky AT&T internet

I'm thinking AD is going to use his own laptop at the library and their Wi-Fi to get the speed and bandwidth needed. What say you Mr. Deer?
Exacterly.

Although their firewall might have an issue in order to protect their servers.

I used to do volunteer work with an organization that has WiFi. I could go there and use their network.

(This--and the bear--is the downside to country living).

The North America map has only one for all the Mazda sold in both Canada and USA.
same map.jpg

Last edited:
If you are not planning on going on a trip, why not update the map at a later time? Then you will have saved an update and will have a more up to date map when you do plan on a long trip.

If you are not planning on going on a trip, why not update the map at a later time? Then you will have saved an update and will have a more up to date map when you do plan on a long trip.

The free updates are time based, not number of updates based. You aren’t “saving” anything by not updating. Once the 3 years runs out, you’re done, whether you’ve ever updated or not.

The free updates are time based, not number of updates based. You aren’t “saving” anything by not updating. Once the 3 years runs out, you’re done, whether you’ve ever updated or not.

Almost. The 3 year clock begins the date you perform your initial update. If you purchased a Mazda in 2017 and just performed your first map update today, your 3 years of updates would expire 14JAN2023. If you have never updated before, you still have 3 years available.

Almost. The 3 year clock begins the date you perform your initial update. If you purchased a Mazda in 2017 and just performed your first map update today, your 3 years of updates would expire 14JAN2023. If you have never updated before, you still have 3 years available.
That's good to know.

My experience is that the three year update clock starts when the card is bonded to the CX-5. Also the Mazda update program knows the car vin so I doubt you can get three more years by buying an ebay card as it will bond with the same vin, but you should be able to use the maps that are on the card you buy...

My wife has a 2018 CX-9. Did the Jan 2020 map update and she’s now covered through January 2023. It was the first update done on her SD Card (on her car, altogether).

No luck for me. I installed the Mazda app from the link, removed the SD Nav card from my car and plugged it into my computer to create a backup first as the instructions said. I never got the prompt to make a backup and my computer locked up for several minutes until I could eject the SD card.
My computer is a Lenovo with Windows 10, an Intel Core i3-6100 CPU with 3.7 GHz and 8 GB of Ram so I am not sure what the issue is.

follow the instructions on the link and on the screen prompts. it might a little slow due to the computer's specs. but you will get it.
good luck.
here is the link:

Last edited:
I uninstalled the Mazda program and re-installed. Something must have been corrupted the first time. I then followed all the steps. The updates downloaded 100% but when I went to the install phase, I kept getting a message that there was a problem with my SD drive and to perform a repair. I did and then the screen kept returning me to the login page and asking me if I wanted to do the backup again. I got to Backup5 and gave up.
But I think I did get the update onto my SD card. Will there be some kind of indication on the NAV display of which version I am running and what should it say ?

The three year clock on my two cards started when the cards registered to the respective cars. 10/26/2019 for my Miata and 12/30/2019 for my CX5. I performed the first update for both cards this week and the expiration is three years from the dates above.

How can I confirm that I did successfully add the update ? The NAV system is working so at least I didn't mess up the data on the SD card when I was going through the download and update gymnastics. I poked around in the menu on the display in my car to see if there was some kind of verification of which software version was running but couldn't find anything.

How can I confirm that I did successfully add the update ? The NAV system is working so at least I didn't mess up the data on the SD card when I was going through the download and update gymnastics. I poked around in the menu on the display in my car to see if there was some kind of verification of which software version was running but couldn't find anything.
Mazda Toolbox will tell you if there is a newer map version than what's on your SD card. I don't believe there's anyway to check the map version in vehicle.

I'm trying to update the map. I downloaded/installed the Mazda Toobox app on my Mac and connected the SD card. When I run the app, I repeatedly get the message "There has been an issue connecting to the Naviextras update server. Please try again."

I have a 400+ Mbps Internet connection that is functioning normally, and have successfully updated the map once before. Is anyone else experiencing the same issue and/or have any suggestions about how to correct the problem?

Back