2020 CX9 cargo cover mechanics

I visited a Mazda dealer yesterday to check out the CX9 and I really wanted to understand what the cargo space was under the cargo cover. However, not one single CX9 had a cargo cover and the dealership did not even have one to demonstrate by putting it in a car. They said its an option that no one ever buys.

When I asked where it would mount, they were clueless. I pointed to the two plastic covers on each side the cargo area that looked like if you removed them, the cargo cover roller bar would mount there. They looked at me like a deer in headlights.

I asked if they had a used car that might have the cargo cover, they said no. I asked if they had a CX5 with a cargo cover, they said no. I said ...show me one anyway. Low and behold, they opened the hatch of a CX5 and there were the two little hooks mounted to the tailgate just below the window, this is where a cargo cover would attach to. They two sales guys looked at it and said...huh? what's that? Honestly, I gotta find another dealer who knows their products...geez.

Crazy, I guess I don't really know how popular they are here in Canada/Toronto area, but one trip to mall without it and I'd be worried about prying eyes. Urban areas around here, too many people around.

I did notice recently my hooks where it would attach to, they did look added on as opposed to being a molded part of the cargo area side panel. I've never looked at spot where the bar itself fits in, to see if it looks as if it was covered before install. Again, in other cars I've always seen the spot where the bar would sit is a part of the entire side panel, that would be there even if no cargo covered ordered. Interesting experience there. Seems like it would be cheaper to just mold the side panel with appropriate install points and never need to have dealer add on parts after the fact.

One small thing, you may have noticed the clips where the 3rd row seat belts store when not being used. When I retract cargo cover to unload and then pull cargo cover to hook back on, I am constantly jarring those belts loose. The belts sit right in the path of the cargo cover. Unfortunate placement.

I find dealer reps to be hit and miss. Just a job for some, they may not even have interest in vehicles in general. People on forums like this are here cause we love cars. No way average dealer sales person knows more than us when we walk in, but that's not bragging, just I feel they are transient workers often.

Well, I did not set out to get a three row car so would always have the third row laying flat, would that solve the issue of knocking the seat belts out of their holder or not?

Some dealers are just terrible.

The install does require the removal of plastic covers on each side of the cargo area, you were on the right track. You can see where they are located in the installation instructions for the cargo cover: https://ecatalog.trademotion.com/co...9 tonneau cover_installation_EN_160606pdf.pdf

That's for a 2019 though, if it changed for a 2020 I don't know, but I wouldn't expect it to sit much higher than it does on the 2019. It would been higher than the setbacks and would just look weird. I personally haven't had a cargo cover for the last 7 years in my SUVs, but I understand the need for them depending on geographical areas.

Good point about 2020, may be diff. Mine is 2019.

I also have 3rd row down all the time, doesn't change where belts are stored. I'm sure a solution could be made to just hook/attach them somewhere the cargo cover won't hit them, even just tape them out of way would look terrible but work... I'm more the procrastinator type to continue to let it annoy me for yrs😁

Martino, on your next visit to the dealership, go to the parts counter and ask for the cargo cover part number for a 2020 and a 2019-2016 to see if they're the same. If the part number is the same (as it appears to be on MazdaUSA's accessories page), it's likely a case of poor wording/misinformation on the website.

I also have 3rd row down all the time, doesn't change where belts are stored. I'm sure a solution could be made to just hook/attach them somewhere the cargo cover won't hit them, even just tape them out of way would look terrible but work... I'm more the procrastinator type to continue to let it annoy me for yrs😁

I wonder if those Command hook-and-loop strips would work? Not sure if they would stick to the seatbelt material, but you could stick one strip to an out-of-the-way area on the hard plastic panel and the other to the seatbelt, then stick the seatbelt there when not in use. I actually have a pair that I could try here at work.. I'm going to give it a shot.

Command strips is interesting. I've not really thought it through, but I suppose certain baby safety straps could work. I have some that latch and unlatch, theyre white but they might come in black. (takes me forever to have a snack at home, every darn cupboard and drawer is latched...)

Command strips is interesting. I've not really thought it through, but I suppose certain baby safety straps could work. I have some that latch and unlatch, theyre white but they might come in black. (takes me forever to have a snack at home, every darn cupboard and drawer is latched...)

Lol yeah those could work as well. I know your pain, I'm living it right now with a soon-to-be 2 year old running around.

I did a quick test-run with the command strips. It's pretty cold out so I may have some adhesion issues, but we'll see if it comes loose on the ride home in the fresh snow. Looks like it'll work fine though.

IMG_20200109_113844.jpg

I tried adhering directly to the seatbelt, but as expected, it didn't stick very well.

Follow-up - Yep I had adhesion issues and the adhesive backing on the hook-and-loop strip came loose from the hard plastic panel. Oh well.. this should still work provided the strips are applied in warmer temps.

Follow-up - Yep I had adhesion issues and the adhesive backing on the hook-and-loop strip came loose from the hard plastic panel. Oh well.. this should still work provided the strips are applied in warmer temps.
Thanks, good to know. I dont anticipate using the third row very often at all, so I might even try to permanently adhere a latch which could release the belt for the one in a million event where i put someone back there.

We're not too cold here, at 6 now in Toronto but wife has car, otherwise I could have tried. By time I'm home tonight, might still be warm enough to give it a go.

Stumbled across this thread and saw some confusion on how the cargo cover works in the CX9 compared to the CX5.

It does not clip to the hatch door. There are inserts that get attached on the interior of the D pillars (they replace the bag hooks). They act as catches for the cover.

B6D338F9-244E-4F66-B742-E5910DAD9367.jpeg

19A31687-D428-4CC3-AE37-69E66499FC93.jpeg

A pre covid thread, but got me thinking about covid times...

If my cargo cover raised up, I'd not be able to see anything when doing curbside pick up. Small thing, but I usually wait with tailgate up. Got tired of being ambushed at my window by a mouth breather, or having them grabbing all over the back handle of my tailgate. So now they see tailgate open and they know to just do their thing.

Also, my son has developed a nice habit of thinking once he's in the seat and dad is out of sight putting stroller in the back, dad has been eliminated from existence and the only way he shall return is if someone screams like a banshee. Which can often continue for the ride wherever. If I'm in sight, seems to happen less.

Little things and not forever things, but for now I'm glad my tailgate just hooks and stays there.

2016-2020 Mazda CX-9 Cargo Cover - Retractable OEM Black - Mazda (TK78-V1-350)
How do you like this cover? Should fit the 2021 right?

Crazy, I guess I don't really know how popular they are here in Canada/Toronto area, but one trip to mall without it and I'd be worried about prying eyes. Urban areas around here, too many people around.

I did notice recently my hooks where it would attach to, they did look added on as opposed to being a molded part of the cargo area side panel. I've never looked at spot where the bar itself fits in, to see if it looks as if it was covered before install. Again, in other cars I've always seen the spot where the bar would sit is a part of the entire side panel, that would be there even if no cargo covered ordered. Interesting experience there. Seems like it would be cheaper to just mold the side panel with appropriate install points and never need to have dealer add on parts after the fact.

One small thing, you may have noticed the clips where the 3rd row seat belts store when not being used. When I retract cargo cover to unload and then pull cargo cover to hook back on, I am constantly jarring those belts loose. The belts sit right in the path of the cargo cover. Unfortunate placement.

I find dealer reps to be hit and miss. Just a job for some, they may not even have interest in vehicles in general. People on forums like this are here cause we love cars. No way average dealer sales person knows more than us when we walk in, but that's not bragging, just I feel they are transient workers often.
I have the same problem and its annoying with the 3rd row seat belts. But I learned something! I didn't realize the seat belt clip is to "store" the seat belt. I thought it was used as a guide where the seat belt would go through when in use. I am constantly hitting those belts and getting the cargo cover stuck in the seat belt. I'll try putting the seat belt "in" the clip and see what happens. Agreed--bad placement.

Back