2020 CX9 cargo cover mechanics

I read this on the Mazda USA site about the optional retractable cargo cover ...RETRACTABLE CARGO COVER. .. Keep your valuables out of view from prying eyes. Our Retractable Cargo Cover is easy to install and remove. It stays mounted to the rear liftgate to allow hassle-free loading.

Can someone post pix as to how this really works, how/where its attached to both the tailgate and where exactly does it attach to the inside of the cargo cover.

Thanks

Usually it attaches in the trunk area behind the back seats (below head rest level). From there it extends out and attaches to the trunk via hooks. When you open the trunk it extends out and obviously when you close it it retracts)

Right, Mazda has a pic of it on their site but its a very poor pic, dark and without the details I'm looking for. I'm hoping someone here actually has it and can post some clear and bright pix. When I look at the cargo area on the Mazda site, I don't see where it attaches to the sides of the cargo area and really have no clue what the size of it is.

Here is a pic from the Mazda build site of the rear cargo cover, pretty poor representation of the wording that describes it when you click "Read More". In this pic it looks like any other cargo cover for any brand and there's no way to imagine how it attaches the tailgate. When clicking Read More, you only get a blown up version of the same pic with fuzzy resolution. Who has some real pix they can share?

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-16 at 8.47.57 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-12-16 at 8.47.57 AM.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 1,241
I read this on the Mazda USA site about the optional retractable cargo cover ...RETRACTABLE CARGO COVER. .. Keep your valuables out of view from prying eyes. Our Retractable Cargo Cover is easy to install and remove. It stays mounted to the rear liftgate to allow hassle-free loading.

Can someone post pix as to how this really works, how/where its attached to both the tailgate and where exactly does it attach to the inside of the cargo cover.

Thanks

If I'm understanding the description correctly, it should function and attach just like the way the CX-5 cargo cover works.

17CX5_CargoCover.jpg

Another stealth change for 2020 models. Except this is a change that I wish I had, lol.

EDIT: The pic that you just posted looks like an outdated picture that they reused from a 2019 model. Maybe they just haven't updated the website yet. I'd order it, and if it functions the same as the older ones, just return it.

Last edited:
If I'm understanding the description correctly, it should function and attach just like the way the CX-5 cargo cover works.

Another stealth change for 2020 models. Except this is a change that I wish I had, lol.

EDIT: The pic that you just posted looks like an outdated picture that they reused from a 2019 model. Maybe they just haven't updated the website yet. I'd order it, and if it functions the same as the older ones, just return it.

Thanks sm1ke! Interesting, I think I like that. I see it attaches to the hatch in what looks like a removable way in case you don't want to use it. Now, for the CX9 being a third row car, I would imagine the roller (base) mechanism attaches immediately behind the second row seats in order to have a decent cargo area in which to cover. I believe the specs are 38.2cu ft with the third row down.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-16 at 9.12.21 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-12-16 at 9.12.21 AM.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,365
This https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) says that the part numbers (TK78-V1-350) are the same for 2016 to 2020. So, I'm not sure if this is an updated implementation of the cargo cover.

Like many mfg build your own sites, they leave a lot of detail out. Here is what you see when you are building a 2020 and want the details on the cargo cover - I suppose if you don't want to hook it to the tailgate, you don't have to and in that case maybe it works like a normal cargo cover where you pull it closed and manually retract it to the open position.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-16 at 2.01.30 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-12-16 at 2.01.30 PM.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 1,293
I'd have liked that. Would let light that is placed on tailgate to illuminate whats in cargo area. For 2019,it just illuminates the top of the cargo cover. Anything under is very hard to see if at all. Wish theyd placed the light below the height of the cover.

I'd have liked that. Would let light that is placed on tailgate to illuminate whats in cargo area. For 2019,it just illuminates the top of the cargo cover. Anything under is very hard to see if at all. Wish theyd placed the light below the height of the cover.

Not quite sure I follow you but cargo covers are supposed to hide the cargo.

On 2019, tailgate up/open, the light turns on but it is on the tailgate. If i need to find my kids whatever, from deep within the cargo area, the cargo cover fully blocks the light. Need to retract it in order to let light shine and see objects. otherwise just reaching into darkness.

Other SUVs have the light for the cargo area a few inches off the floor of cargo area, along side. So when you open tailgate, the lights are fully illuminating the cargo area contents under the cargo cover.

I'm constantly back there looking for toys, pacifiers, bottles, diaper cream and other crap. So I'm constantly retracting the cover to allow light to shine.

The 2020 retracting for me automatically would be nice. From the pic, when open, the tailgate light would then illuminate the entire cargo area.

Don't get me wrong, not a huge deal. But I've not had to do that in other vehicles.

Actually, looking at the cx9 pic might be easier to understand.

if you stand where the photographer stood to take pic, basically anything further back than that silver rectangle thing is in darkness.

On 2019, tailgate up/open, the light turns on but it is on the tailgate. If i need to find my kids whatever, from deep within the cargo area, the cargo cover fully blocks the light. Need to retract it in order to let light shine and see objects. otherwise just reaching into darkness.

Other SUVs have the light for the cargo area a few inches off the floor of cargo area, along side. So when you open tailgate, the lights are fully illuminating the cargo area contents under the cargo cover.

I'm constantly back there looking for toys, pacifiers, bottles, diaper cream and other crap. So I'm constantly retracting the cover to allow light to shine.

The 2020 retracting for me automatically would be nice. From the pic, when open, the tailgate light would then illuminate the entire cargo area.

Don't get me wrong, not a huge deal. But I've not had to do that in other vehicles.

Ha ha ha, I surely did misunderstand you, ok, take a look at my earlier post with the pic of the red CX9. If the one and only light is where I see it at the bottom left of that tailgate (assuming thats a light) and you attach the cargo cover as shown in that pic, which is what the 2020 build site seems to be selling, then you will have your light. Can't believe there's no lights actually inside the cargo space! Geez.

Ha ha ha, I surely did misunderstand you, ok, take a look at my earlier post with the pic of the red CX9. If the one and only light is where I see it at the bottom left of that tailgate (assuming thats a light) and you attach the cargo cover as shown in that pic, which is what the 2020 build site seems to be selling, then you will have your light. Can't believe there's no lights actually inside the cargo space! Geez.

Agreed, there should be a light fixture that you can switch on and off (so that 3rd row occupants can shut it off when necessary).

GTA-CX9,
Have you considered buying a simple dome light, say from Amazon, buy two of them, cut holes in the left and right side of your cargo area, install them and wire them to the one that goes on automatically when you open the tailgate? Something like this

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-17 at 1.51.56 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-12-17 at 1.51.56 PM.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 1,039
GTA-CX9,
Have you considered buying a simple dome light, say from Amazon, buy two of them, cut holes in the left and right side of your cargo area, install them and wire them to the one that goes on automatically when you open the tailgate?

Was intriguing until I read "wire them". I'm just happy to not bump my head or close fingers in hatch!

I will think about that, maybe a battery powered light or something. Not as convenient,but more my level of expertise.

Retracting cargo cover does work to let light through, certainly this is not a major problem I can't deal with on occasion.

Was intriguing until I read "wire them". I'm just happy to not bump my head or close fingers in hatch!

I will think about that, maybe a battery powered light or something. Not as convenient,but more my level of expertise.

Retracting cargo cover does work to let light through, certainly this is not a major problem I can't deal with on occasion.

I don't know where you are located, but if you pop into your local home store like Lowes, Home Depot, etc, you can find battery operated LED lights, the trick will be to find one that you can mount and looks good. You would just have to switch it on and off manually.

Back