2020 CX5 Sig vs GT Reserve

Have not owned a Mazda yet. In looking at their website and using their comparison tool, I contrasted the Sig and GT Reserve trims, these are the only diff's I saw. Is this accurate?

Signature offers these over the GT Reserve
Ambient lighting
Mazda Connect with voice activation
Nappa leather

Have I missed anything? I didn't see a choice of interior colors anywhere - does Mazda force their selected color on us???

360 degree camera?

I also think MAZDA is making serious error with their color combinations and lack of interior color options.

Right erhayes, I went back to the comparison, didn't see the 360 cam view for the GT reserve and then built one again to see if it could be added and it didn't show up - ugh...I like that feature.

So, now this is where the diff's are.. ..

Ambient lighting
Nappa leather
360 view cam

Also 2019 Sig adds darker grey wheels,LED interior lights,frameless rear view mirror,and the Napa leather in addition to above items

You can order rear parking sensors on the GT Reserve as an option for $475 but not front sensors, so are the front ones standard?
Right, just checked, no Sat Nav. So now I am starting to understand the pricing diff between the GT Reserve and the Signature, which I think is easily justifiable especially when you start getting a discount off MSRP and that diff gets smaller.

So here's the tally so far.. ..

Ambient lighting
Nappa leather
360 view cam
Sat Nav

Yes, I'm in the US. So are you saying that if you order the 2020 GT Reserve, you will not have and cannot get front parking sensors? It would be very strange to only have rear ones on a 2020 car but I could not find front one on there site.

From the Mazda Build Your Own website:

In addition to or replaces Sport, Touring, Grand Touring, and Grand Touring Reserve features:
  • 19" aluminum-alloy wheels with Dark Silver finish and P225/55 R19 all-season tires
  • Signature badge
  • Frameless auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink®20
  • LED lighting for glovebox, cargo area and vanity mirrors
  • Unique overhead console with LED room light and down light
  • Mazda Navigation System
  • SiriusXM® 3-year Traffic and Travel Link subscription* includes current information for:
  • --- Traffic
  • --- Weather
  • --- Sports scores
  • --- Fuel prices
  • --- Nearby parking or parking by destination
  • Caturra Brown Nappa leather-trimmed seats
  • Genuine Layered wood trim
  • Leather-wrapped steering wheel with unique stitching
  • Black cloth headliner
  • 360º View Monitor26
  • Front and rear parking sensors

Thanks Avoidin Deer, that pretty much sums it up....the Signature would be the way to go for me. Just wish I had a choice of interior colors, both the seats and the trim. The dark silver finished allow wheel design is quite nice in person.

Yes, I'm in the US. So are you saying that if you order the 2020 GT Reserve, you will not have and cannot get front parking sensors? It would be very strange to only have rear ones on a 2020 car but I could not find front one on there site.
I overlooked this comment you made.

I would not go by the Mazda Build Your Own website. The Options section is hosed up. They do not show the NAV Option for the GT or the GTR, yet they show it for the lower trims. I had a back & forth email session with their customer service about this a while ago, and it is still not fixed.

Regarding parking sensors: the site only shows rear ones for any of the trims (except the Sig, which comes standard with both). I just took a look at a spreadsheet I put together with all the available options when I was pricing/shopping in 2018. Only rear parking sensors were offered as an option then. Interesting that with a backup cam, you'd want augmentation for the front, not the rear.

Maybe the site is accurate regarding this option.

Last edited:
I plan on going back to the dealer but might have to go to a diff dealer as the one that is near where I'm staying just doesn't know their product and I don't trust their answers. I too have made an Excel spreadsheet with all the features/options I would like and will take this with me. Once there, I can look at the front bumper for the sensors on the GT Reserve and the other features/options that the build site neglects. I have yet to find a car mfg build site to be accurate but its a good place to start as you sit in the comfort of your favorite chair with a beer!

... Once there, I can look at the front bumper for the sensors on the GT Reserve and the other features/options that the build site neglects. ...

The rear sensors on any trim, other than the Sig, are either port, or dealer installed. There is not an option for the fronts. That's just the way it is for now in the US.

Besides that, is there any other option you are looking for that you can't figure out if it's available?

WHAT???? no front park distance sensors without going for the Signature trim level? No way, no how?? I mean its no big deal for me as I would go with the Sig trim but am just trying to understand the Japanese way of thinking, I've never owned or even looked at a Mazda before so some of this is pretzel logic to me.
To answer your question, there are a few things I would like but Mazda doesn't offer them and I can most likely learn to live without them as I don't have them now, so I guess I'm good to go for now, would just like a more powerful engine and a choice of interior colors and that's not gonna happen with the CX5. So one more trip to the dealer and then it will either be thumbs up or down for me and Mazda.

i'm going to guess they reserved the front parking sensors for the Sg models only to work with the 360 camera. But yeah it should also be an added option for non-Sg models. I went with Sg and never looked back. The dark interior won't get dirty as quick.

They're just parking sensors for crying out loud, heck I had them on a 2005 VW Golf diesel, that was 15 years ago. It pisses me off when mfg's withhold simple cheap features like that and try to force buyers into the more expensive trim levels. It is what it is, I've decided a Mazda isn't in the near future for me anyway, it just doesn't fill the two needs I set out to fill. I liked the CX5, my wife did too and I could possibly consider it as a replacement for her GTi, though its not as quick but we still have four years left on her warranty. Glad I looked at them though, nice car that is only likely to get nicer as time marches on.

It pisses me off when mfg's withhold simple cheap features like that and try to force buyers into the more expensive trim levels.

It never ceases to amaze me to see the dollars spent on marketing to try to attract buyers, only to have those efforts negated by decisions that alienate.

Converting the The NAV system to a "Pay For" option is another example.

The rear sensors on any trim, other than the Sig, are either port, or dealer installed. There is not an option for the fronts. That's just the way it is for now in the US.

Besides that, is there any other option you are looking for that you can't figure out if it's available?
Dealership told me ‘they’ can add parking sensors to a GT. Vague quote of $750 (each) for front and back. I’m skeptical of dealer installs. Does this sound legit? Sounds high to me and I wonder how good it ends up being.

Back