2020 CX5 Press Release

Looks like even the new cx-30 has the 8.8 inch screen from the Mazda 3. What is Mazda doing?

Say what you like, I kindof favor the CX30. It's a nice middle ground, and the plastic cladding would do great in my neck of the woods. Put a 2.5L SA-X with 30-34 combined MPG and 275hp in it, and it would be an animal! (I made those numbers up, but it's something Mazda will need to shoot for at a minimum to maintain parity with the others in the marketplace).

Looks like even the new cx-30 has the 8.8 inch screen from the Mazda 3. What is Mazda doing?

I*d rather have an independent rear suspension than a slightly larger screen. The CX-30 and 3 have plenty of cost cutting that isn*t directly visible.

Say what you like, I kindof favor the CX30. It's a nice middle ground, and the plastic cladding would do great in my neck of the woods. Put a 2.5L SA-X with 30-34 combined MPG and 275hp in it, and it would be an animal! (I made those numbers up, but it's something Mazda will need to shoot for at a minimum to maintain parity with the others in the marketplace).
Current SkyActiv-X 2.0L produces ~175 bhp and ~165 lb-ft at 3,000 rpm. Mazda claims SkyActiv-X is as much as 20% better on fuel economy, and 10~30% more torquey depending on rpm than the old Skyactiv-G. What make you believe its possible the SkyActiv-X 2.5L when available would get 275 hp and 30~34 combined MPG with only 0.5L increase on displacement?

I*d rather have an independent rear suspension than a slightly larger screen. The CX-30 and 3 have plenty of cost cutting that isn*t directly visible.

Agreed. I would urge, try before you buy. The suspension on the back of the CX3 is one of the main reasons I came to a CX5. Now it may be seriously beefed up on the 3\CX30 platform but I would test that very carefully before buying. Ive got a pdf somewhere......

Attachments

• AIM OF DEVELOPMENT E.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 133
Back in the day, we would flip over the air cleaner cover for some "enhanced" sound. Maybe they're marketing to high school aged buyers, now. :)

Oh man, that brings back memories.
I had an old Buick Century with a 305 four barrel. I'd do the air cleaner thing just to hear the aux barrels kick in.

My 2002 Pathfinder has a ridiculous air intake system, including drawing air through a stupid maze of tubes and baffles inside the front fender.
It's supposed to reduce the noise level. What it actually does is reduce/restrict air flow.
Years ago I removed the air intake baffle from inside the fender, and then cut a hole in the top of the air box just in front of the air filter.
It gets a great intake sound now when you punch it, and the bonus is that there's no more throttle response delay.

I'm going to look at the air intake system on the 6 one of these days, and maybe see about improving air intake flow.

Those were the good old days. I often wonder if I destryed a Mickey Mantle card with my close pin.

I destroyed a Nolan Ryan rookie card that way! I also stole my brother*s Koufax and Clemente cards. I absolutely deserved that beating.

Agreed. I would urge, try before you buy. The suspension on the back of the CX3 is one of the main reasons I came to a CX5. Now it may be seriously beefed up on the 3\CX30 platform but I would test that very carefully before buying. Ive got a pdf somewhere......

It's definitely cheaper for them to build them that way. No separate control arms or anti-roll bars need to be installed, as the torsion beam accomplishes this.

The torsion beam will ride worse on the road. The rear wheels are directly connected, not good for dynamics or ride.

Back