2020 CX-5 mysterious battery draw

As I posted a while ago I had 2 battery failures in the first 3 months of ownership (Feb and April). I'm in Canada and Mazda Canada is not affiliated with Mazda NA which is US and Mexico. However, I copied the TSB and picture of the replacement part to Mazda Canada who then forwarded it to my dealer. They felt I was in the correct VIN and manufacturing date range and last week replaced the part. Hopefully that is the long term solution.

As I posted a while ago I had 2 battery failures in the first 3 months of ownership (Feb and April). I'm in Canada and Mazda Canada is not affiliated with Mazda NA which is US and Mexico. However, I copied the TSB and picture of the replacement part to Mazda Canada who then forwarded it to my dealer. They felt I was in the correct VIN and manufacturing date range and last week replaced the part. Hopefully that is the long term solution.
Did they replace both batteries for free?

no.. I meant that the car died twice and they replaced the module. The battery was checked each time and seems fine so far.

Anyone in Canada successfully got it replaced?

After few emails, I just got this reply few minutes ago from Mazda Canada:

Dear ,

Thank you for your response. Since our initial email, I've noticed that a brand new Special Service Program was added to your VIN - , which may be somewhat related to the battery concern you were mentioning.

SSPC2 - 2020 CX-5 and CX-9 – Power LiftGate (PLG) Control Unit Concern

I've attached this SSP Notice to this email, this will also be mailed out to customer within a month or two. If you are exhibiting the issue described in the SSP, please contact your local Mazda dealership to have this looked at free of charge.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for contacting Mazda Canada head office and have a nice day.

SSPC2 letter attached

Attachments

• SSPC2_Owner Letter_MCI.pdf
    110.6 KB · Views: 159
Okay. So I just called my dealership here in Canada and they said they will only the part if you encounter problem with your battery. Not before that. Nonsense.

Okay. So I just called my dealership here in Canada and they said they will only the part if you encounter problem with your battery. Not before that. Nonsense.

That's how it started in the US as well before it became a quasi-recall.

If you leave turn the "ignition" to "on" without starting the engine and turn the fan speed up all the way and turn on the the heated seats/steering wheel, rear defroster, radio, and high beams, you'll "encounter a problem with your battery". :)

I asked the Mazda rep if I can ask my dealership to replace the PLG module before receiving the actual letter or encountering battery drain. I'll update once I get a reply.

That's how it started in the US as well before it became a quasi-recall.

If you leave turn the "ignition" to "on" without starting the engine and turn the fan speed up all the way and turn on the the heated seats/steering wheel, rear defroster, radio, and high beams, you'll "encounter a problem with your battery". :)
Haha that's one way for sure.

Is there a way for the tech to know if there was really a battery drain?

Haha that's one way for sure.

Is there a way for the tech to know if there was really a battery drain?

There's no code for "battery drain is occurring". Battery drain can be suspected if a battery dies unexpectedly. If the drain is repeatable, there are troubleshooting methods to locate the source. If it's intermittent (such as with the PLG unit), it can be difficult to impossible to find. That's probably why it took Mazda months to identify the issue then for the supplier to make enough replacement units before announcing the "recall".

Below is the reply from Mazda Canada. I'm a bit disappointed. I just hope I don't experience the issue before receiving the SSP letter.

Dear ,

Thank you for your response. I would suggest that you wait until you receive the SSP notice in the mail before contacting your Mazda dealership.

Thank you

Sincerely,

Back