2020 CX-5 mysterious battery draw

Look at the post below which gives the VIN's affected. No it isn't all 2017 and up cars...

Thank you, I was too lazy to read four pages. My car doesn't have a power lift gate (although that would be cool).

Are you saying that all new style (2017+) should have the new part put in their car?

If you please, could someone give the tsb number? Thank you very much.
BB7FFB47-8F21-4552-92E0-F58762B8F9B7.jpeg

Got the same letter today. I've had no problems yet, but then again, I don't know that I've let the car sit for more than 2 days (okay, maybe once when it was new whhile I wated to drive it until I got the PPF. So, Do I subscribe to "if it aint broke...." or do it get it done?

my VIN falls in that range listed above, but when I go to mazdarecallinfo.com it shows "No recalls were found for your vehicle at this time "

Last edited:
Any update of such recall in Canada?
Posted in another conversation, but I'm in Canada, and on Friday, I took my 2020 CX-5 in for the first oil change (my VIN is in the affected range). The service advisor was aware of this and said the Mazda US usually gets the parts a bit earlier, so Mazda Canada should be following up soon as well -- I should expect to get a letter soon, then I can make an appointment. The service advisor had not seen the Mazda US letter. I showed him the letter from here, and he was not surprised. It's technically not a "Recall", but a special service program (as stated in the US letter). The difference is simplyl that a Recall has safety issues and involves more regulators. A special service program is for an non-safety related issue, but just Mazda doing the right thing to proactively correct this (instead of having owners wait for a problem to show up).

Note, I have not experienced any issues with the battery, but it's comforting to know that Mazda will replace the part so I don't have to be left wondering if I will be impacted at some unpredicable point in time.

Posted in another conversation, but I'm in Canada, and on Friday, I took my 2020 CX-5 in for the first oil change (my VIN is in the affected range). The service advisor was aware of this and said the Mazda US usually gets the parts a bit earlier, so Mazda Canada should be following up soon as well -- I should expect to get a letter soon, then I can make an appointment. The service advisor had not seen the Mazda US letter. I showed him the letter from here, and he was not surprised. It's technically not a "Recall", but a special service program (as stated in the US letter). The difference is simplyl that a Recall has safety issues and involves more regulators. A special service program is for an non-safety related issue, but just Mazda doing the right thing to proactively correct this (instead of having owners wait for a problem to show up).

Note, I have not experienced any issues with the battery, but it's comforting to know that Mazda will replace the part so I don't have to be left wondering if I will be impacted at some unpredicable point in time.
Thank you for the reply. Hope we receive the letter soon. Let me know if you hear anything.

Got the same letter today. I've had no problems yet, but then again, I don't know that I've let the car sit for more than 2 days (okay, maybe once when it was new whhile I wated to drive it until I got the PPF. So, Do I subscribe to "if it aint broke...." or do it get it done?

my VIN falls in that range listed above, but when I go to mazdarecallinfo.com it shows "No recalls were found for your vehicle at this time "

Suppose you can always wait for it to happen to you before taking it in. I wouldn't do that without having a lithium ion battery / jump starter in my car, though.

Hi. I'm in Canada. My vehicle had the battery failure happen twice long before a solution was identified. Once it was identified I contacted Mazda Canada to see if they would authorize the repair based on VIN and manufacture date. Mazda Canada forwarded my request to the dealer and the repair was authorized and done at my first service. If you haven't encountered the problem perhaps you will need to wait for the letter but definitely worth a question to the dealer.

Even in Canada?
Mazda Canada does not yet have a large supply of the replacement part. So if you are experiencing a problem, they will of course fix it (like for Jkey). But if you have not experienced a problem, you should just wait for the letter to come out (at which point Mazda Canada will have a supply of the replacement part to do a service campaign for all cars in the affected range).

Mazda US has the supply already.

Very informative thread here, and thanks to everyone who contributed all of the helpful information!

One thing that's puzzling to me is that my CX-5 service manual has no information listed for a Power Liftgate Control Unit, or the abbreviation PLG. The manual does have a description of the 'Liftgate Opener System', and mentions 2 parts called 'Liftgate Latch and Lock Actuator' , and 'Rear Body Control Module' (RBCM).

I've tried to match the picture that zroger73 posted of the actual part, however none of the part drawings in the manual and the online parts sites match up (to me anyway). The manual does show the Actuator located inside of the liftgate, and the RBCM being in the left side trunk cavity, and I'm guessing it might be the RBCM but I'm not at all certain about that. I suppose it's also possible the PLG was omitted from manual by mistake.

I'm a DIYer who doesn't normally ever take a vehicle into a shop for service, but in this case I obviously have no choice about this repair. But I'd at least like to know exactly where and what the tech is working on, so does anyone happen to know what the PLG is called in the service manual, or where it's physically located in the vehicle?

But I'd at least like to know exactly where and what the tech is working on, so does anyone happen to know what the PLG is called in the service manual, or where it's physically located in the vehicle?

I believe it's located behind the left rear interior trim - #26 in this diagram.

1602036389632.png

I believe it's located behind the left rear interior trim - #26 in this diagram.

Yes thanks for the reply, and I'd seen that diagram previously while researching this part. The only thing in the service manual that matches the left side location is the RBCM that I mentioned in my first post. However, the drawing of the RBCM in the service manual doesn't look very much like the parts in the photo that you posted. The service manual shows the RBCM being a computer with multiple connectors, but the PLGs in your pic don't appear to have that construction. But perhaps the connector ports would show up with a side view.

One other thing that reinforces the idea that RBCM and PLG are the same part is that RBCM is nowhere to be found in the Mazda online parts sites. Removing enough of the side trunk trim to get a look at what's in the vehicle doesn't appear to be much of a job, so I'll probably do that, just to satisfy my DIY curiosity. And if I do that, I'll post back with a report of what I find in there.

Yes thanks for the reply, and I'd seen that diagram previously while researching this part. The only thing in the service manual that matches the left side location is the RBCM that I mentioned in my first post. However, the drawing of the RBCM in the service manual doesn't look very much like the parts in the photo that you posted. The service manual shows the RBCM being a computer with multiple connectors, but the PLGs in your pic don't appear to have that construction. But perhaps the connector ports would show up with a side view.
I was shown a diagram that had the Power-Liftgate Control Module near the right rear wheel. They told me they had to unbolt the rear seat to access it. They also fully removed the floor from the cargo compartment.

Unfortunately I wasn’t able to press to observe the work up close due to covid restrictions ... it was a bit disconcerting.

Last edited:
I was shown a diagram that had the Power-Liftgate Control Module near the right rear wheel. They told me they had to unbolt the rear seat to access it. They also fully removed the floor from the cargo compartment.

Unfortunately I wasn’t able to press to observe the work up close due to C-19 restrictions ... it was a bit disconcerting.

Wow, that seems like a really bizarre location for this part, and it's also a completely different area than the part diagram indicates. What the heck is going on with this thing? When I made the appointment to have it swapped out, the service advisor said it would take 'around 45 minutes'. Do you know what the actual working time was for your dealership to do the job on your vehicle?

I poked around at the left side trunk trim a bit, but haven't tried to remove any of it yet because I can't find anything about it in the manual (and I'm not about to break anything on a brand new vehicle by just winging it). But now it looks like maybe your information has saved me from wasting a bunch of time doing useless work, and I appreciate you taking the time to post it!

At this point I'm probably not going to do anything on my own, and just hope to get owner-friendly service guys, who don't mind answering some questions that they don't usually get asked.

Back