2020 CX-5 mysterious battery draw

:
Vancouver Canada
:
2020 GT Turbo
My thanks for posting the TSB as well. My battery has failed twice. Once in the first week of ownership and a second time 2 months later in late April just before this TSB was issued. Dealer found nothing at that time but this TSB will certainly help. Hopefully Mazda has or will come up with a permanent solution.

:
Texas
:
'20 CX-5 Signature
Here you go...

The TSB simply refers dealers to call Mazda if a 2020 CX-5 or 2019-2020 CX-9 with the power liftgate won't start due to a low battery.
TSB SA-049/20 has been updated with production dates and VIN ranges.

The following 2020 CX-5s equipped with a power liftgate are potentially affected:

VINs JM3KFxxxxxx700008-820235 produced from September 13, 2019 through March 18, 2020.

Mazda began installing the updated part after March 18, 2020. All replacements ordered will be the "new" part. The "new" part has the same part number, but will have a white paint dot.

The parasitic draw is intermittent and may not occur for months or it may occur within days. If and when it happens, there will be no warning - you'll just have a dead battery.

SA-049-20.jpg

1596199283143.png

:
'20 CX-5 Signature
Since this is not a recall will the dealer preemptively replace this part if we haven't had the issue yet? My VIN falls in that range but I haven't had any battery issues (knock on wood)

:
Texas
:
'20 CX-5 Signature
Since this is not a recall will the dealer preemptively replace this part if we haven't had the issue yet? My VIN falls in that range but I haven't had any battery issues (knock on wood)
No - a dealer won't replace this under warranty if you've never experienced the problem.

The following 2020 CX-5s equipped with a power liftgate are potentially affected:

VINs JM3KFxxxxxx700008-820235 produced from September 13, 2019 through March 18, 2020
Thank you for this. Looks like mine was made in March just before this part was upgraded, sooo ... yay. Something nice to look forward to. Guess now I have to buy an emergency jumpstarter for my brand new car. Bloody Hell.

Thank you for this. Looks like mine was made in March just before this part was upgraded, sooo ... yay. Something nice to look forward to. Guess now I have to buy an emergency jumpstarter for my brand new car. Bloody Hell.
While you’re at it also consider a 3 stage smart battery charger that has sensors to switch from the bulk charge mode to absorption and the floating modes as the battery is replenished. Car alternators are designed to maintain batteries, not recharge a dead battery. A smart battery charger prevents overcharging which can damage the battery. Typical cost is under $100. These are good things to have on hand regardless of the age of your car.