2020 CX-5 mysterious battery draw

That's how it started in the US as well before it became a quasi-recall.

If you leave turn the "ignition" to "on" without starting the engine and turn the fan speed up all the way and turn on the the heated seats/steering wheel, rear defroster, radio, and high beams, you'll "encounter a problem with your battery". :)
Haha that's one way for sure.

Is there a way for the tech to know if there was really a battery drain?

:
Texas
:
'19 MX-5, '20 CX-5
Haha that's one way for sure.

Is there a way for the tech to know if there was really a battery drain?

There's no code for "battery drain is occurring". Battery drain can be suspected if a battery dies unexpectedly. If the drain is repeatable, there are troubleshooting methods to locate the source. If it's intermittent (such as with the PLG unit), it can be difficult to impossible to find. That's probably why it took Mazda months to identify the issue then for the supplier to make enough replacement units before announcing the "recall".

Okay. So I just called my dealership here in Canada and they said they will only the part if you encounter problem with your battery. Not before that. Nonsense.

Below is the reply from Mazda Canada. I'm a bit disappointed. I just hope I don't experience the issue before receiving the SSP letter.

Dear ,

Thank you for your response. I would suggest that you wait until you receive the SSP notice in the mail before contacting your Mazda dealership.

Thank you

Sincerely,

Freedom55

2020 AWD GS Montreal Canada
Got my recall letter today from Mazda Canada. Dealer will replace module this Thursday! Good thing as being retired, I don't drive for a few days and it's getting pretty cold out here...so a fully charged battery is in order!

:
2019 CX-5 GTR
@Roshdy while little flaws like the faulty module are unfortunate.. the good news is the problem has been identified AND the fix is relatively easy/quick (free to you). Sure it would have been better had the problem been identified quicker.. but that is in the past. Get it fixed and move on to happy ownership of your vehicle.

I have the exact same problem. 2020 CX-5 Signature. I bought it 6 months ago. only 5800 km on it. This morning. the battery is dead !!! wow.. Then I came to this page and discovered that this is a known problem. I wish I knew that before buying this car. I just called the dealer .. I think I am about to spent very unpleasant time with this issue.

:
Texas
:
'19 MX-5, '20 CX-5
At least Mazda knows about and has acknowledged this issue instead of denying there is a problem, blaming it on the customer, and charging for a replacement battery.

This is an inconvenience at worst. I can spend all day long thinking of far worse things that can and do go wrong with automobiles. :)

I have an aversion to dealers because more often than not in my experience, they do shoddy work and damage or soil customers' vehicles. Fortunately, I didn't find any damage to my CX-5 when the PLG unit was replaced. I do question whether or not the dealer actually tested the battery as requested and promised, but my charger/analyzer didn't find a problem with the battery and I'm back to enjoying the vehicle. If two partial and complete battery discharges I experienced did indeed knock significant life off the battery, I'll probably never know given the frequency at which I trade vehicles. If it does die prematurely as a result, I've still got two years of warranty left. If not, then I'd accept having to pay for a replacement battery after three years.

Last edited:
:
Europe
:
2020 cx-5 GT
I have the exact same problem. 2020 CX-5 Signature. I bought it 6 months ago. only 5800 km on it. This morning. the battery is dead !!! wow.. Then I came to this page and discovered that this is a known problem. I wish I knew that before buying this car. I just called the dealer .. I think I am about to spent very unpleasant time with this issue.
I remeber I started it with checking on a VIN check website to see if my car is for recall then I emailed the dealer who luckily confirmed it. Well it shouldn't be a big hassle, in my case they set up an appointment and fixed, wish you good luck!