2020 CX-5 GT CarPlay USB port failure after only 4,000 miles

Davidiot

Ballistic Reentry Vehicle
:
2020 CX-5 GT PP
The non-CarPlay port connects and charges fine.

The CarPlay port is completely dead. No CarPlay, no charging. Rebooting (back+nav+mute) hasn’t helped.

Changing cables has no effect. Changing phones has no effect.

Are there any DIY solutions I can try without dealing with my dealer?

:
2019 CX-5 Signature
What's wrong with going in and having it looked at? It probably has a disconnect somewhere between the port and the head unit. Are you willing to take your console apart to check?

Davidiot

:
2020 CX-5 GT PP
Update:

During repeated rebooting of the infotainment system (back+nav+mute) ... noticed something curious:

When plugged into the CarPlay port, the phone starts charging as soon as the reboot begins. It then STOPS charging during the reboot process.

I don’t want to go to the dealer because I don’t want them ripping apart my brand new car when the problem seems to be software and not hardware.

Davidiot

:
2020 CX-5 GT PP
What's wrong with going in and having it looked at? It probably has a disconnect somewhere between the port and the head unit. Are you willing to take your console apart to check?
See above. Also, my nearest dealer is an hour away.

Davidiot

:
2020 CX-5 GT PP
Update 2:

The working USB port does exactly the opposite — during reboot, it stops charging. It stops charging at the same time as the CarPlay port starts changing; and starts charging at the same time the CarPlay port stops charging again.

:
2019 CX-5 GTR
what is your firmware level?

Davidiot

:
2020 CX-5 GT PP
what is your firmware level?

Problem fixed itself (for now) after shutting off the car and walking away till it auto-locked. When I restarted the car, both USB ports were working as they should, and CarPlay was fine.

I experienced a similar glitch once with one of the dash warnings (camera system, I think). That one hasn’t recurred.

Ghosts in the machine. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Latest posts