2020 CX-5 Exploding sunroof

I would not put any film on. I have been told by a professional window tinter and read it somewhere. It will increase the risk of shattering, it was something to do with heat reflection back into the glass. Do some research.

Hmm I did some reading and some say yes it will reflect heat in the glass and many others say it works no problem. But I would be using clear security film so it shouldn't have a big effect on the heat.
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-safety/laminated-glass-reduce-risk-exploding-sunroofs/

I've heard those stories as well. My personal experience with the subject is I have tinted all of our sunroofs with 50% ceramic tint with no issues going back to 2015.

Also, my daughter had something hit her driver side window (with the same 50% ceramic tint) and shatter it while driving. The tint held the shattered window in place and prevented any tiny shards from spraying into the car. It held it all together for me to drive it home (30 min on highway) as well.

I'm a firm believer of added safety from tinting. The end. 😁

I know this is an old thread, but to add to it, My wife's 5-year-old '18 CX5 just had the sunroof shatter while driving down the road. Seemingly spontaneously. Not following any vehicle, very average temperature, cloudy day, no likelihood of rock bouncing onto it. Also, initially, there was a fist-sized hole of missing glass, but most of that glass ended up sliding on the roof behind the sunroof, evidence that it shattered with upward forces. It is tempered glass, not laminated. From online research I've done so far, it seems this is an uncommon but not unheard of phenomenon for cars of all makes with sunroofs and glass roofs. Spontaneous shattering like this could be a flaw that takes time to reveal itself (poof!), or unusual stresses (temperature or incorrect stresses from when it was assembled, etc), or other unknown causes. Ours will be covered under insurance, but still a $300 deductible.
Buzzman12, I can't blame Mazda (or all the other manufacturers) for balking at covering this under warranty. This is an insurable claim, just like a rock-busted windshield would be. The issue being that the nature of tempered glass makes it really hard to determine a definitive cause. So, I claim to Mazda that it broke spontaneously, but really, how do they (or even I) know it wasn't a rock, kid's baseball, or who knows? And considering how rampant fraud and scamming is in this society and culture, I don't blame anyone for needing proof. (Sorry for the cynicism!)
Considering the excellent reliability of this car and the other 5 Mazdas we've owned over the past 18 years, I can accept this is just freak bad luck and so it does not shake my faith in Mazda generally. But geez, what a pain!!
View attachment 323032
A further update... after about a 4-week wait for the sunroof repair, all is good again. But I had an interesting side-problem crop up. When the sunroof shattered, my wife brought it home that Sunday evening and I had to deal with it with what I could find in my garage. I found a used large, flat, heavy-gauge plastic shipping bag which I thought would be perfect as it would hopefully be sturdy enough to hold up until a repair could be done. The only good tape I could find was Tuck-Tape (that red construction tape) which is super strong sticking tape. So I cut the bag to size and taped it over the gaping hole. When picking the car up from the repair shop, the tech asked me to come look at the roof. He said they managed to get the Tuck tape removed completely, and it did not pull any paint or clearcoat off, but look what it did to the Soul-Red paint: and there I could see very plainly and painfully that the clear coat had turned a milky white color all the way around. Of course, I did not blame them as it was clearly not their fault as it was my materials used to cover the hole. But when I got home, trying to hit it with some polishing compound (to no avail), I realized the milky discoloration was not where the tape would have been. Instead, it was all around the sunroof in a mottled-looking band several inches wide right up to the sunroof opening. Thus, the problem was caused NOT by the tape, but by that plastic bag I had used! There must've been some kind of chemical reaction between the plastic and the clearcoat and it turned the clearcoat white. Washing the car a few days later, I found it very upsetting to look at but at least it was on the roof and not as obvious as had it been elsewhere. I have been pondering trying to do a mild wet-sanding to see if I can remediate this ugly problem, but hesitant to go down this road, so have been procrastinating. Then, this morning, after about 10 - 12 days, I was out blowing leaves off the car, and voila! The milky white has disappeared! I have never experienced something like this before, though I'm sure others have. But I thought it might be of interest to others in case they have this milky discoloration happen; the advice is to wait and give it some time and maybe it is temporary and could just go away on its own.

Back