2019 XC40 vs 2019 CX-5 Signature

They touched on the one thing that I dislike in touchscreens, and that's climate control. I love technology, but I just want to be able to rotate a dial and change the temp. I don't even like the arrows like the Jeeps have.

Lol, I didn't even look at the brand because of that grille!

Lol that spindle grille is the bane of many's existence. For me, the detached LED eyebrow pushed me away.

Agreed I dont think touchpads are a good idea in cars......

The knob does work fairly well once you get the hang of it. I wish they had a few more physical buttons for favorites for example. But at least they have the ones you would use a lot like Nav and Music.

Have a touchpad in my BMW and stopped using it. Also has a rotary dial like the CX-5 and I think thats the perfect interface. Car U/I should not be complicated enough to require a touchpad, and I dont understand why anyone wants to reach and poke at the screen on their dash. Mazda is spot on with the rationale for sticking with the rotary dial.

I guess I can understand the Audi thing where you can draw letters when entering an address at a stop but beyond that the knob is better for sure.

Honestly when I first saw the stuck on screens I hated it. But in the CX-5 it has grown on me as its a good location for nav. As for size the CX-5 is a little small but honestly doesnt need to be bigger than about 8 or so IMHO. HVAC, heated seats, seat adjustments ect do not need to be in a stupid touch screen. I should just be able to touch a physical button I can feel while keeping my eyes on the road.

doesn't the cx-5 also have paddle shifters?
Seems like they mentioned it on the XC-40 but failed to do so on the cx-5,

They touched on the one thing that I dislike in touchscreens, and that's climate control. I love technology, but I just want to be able to rotate a dial and change the temp. I don't even like the arrows like the Jeeps have.

I agree separate aircon controls are a must.
I won't be bothering to test a xc40 due to the dead feel steering, its unacceptable to me as it kills the driving enjoyment.

Also don't think the cx-5 turbo sounds that great either from that video, I can honestly say my diesel sounds great under full throttle as the revs climb. But it wouldn't put me off buying one.

The RDX and XC40 were both on my short list but I ended up choosing a CX5 Signature.
Same here, XC40, RDX, and CX-5 were my top 3 choices. I went with the CX-5 mostly for price, the other 2 just get really expensive when you option them up. In my case I went with the GTR so quite a bit less $ in the end.

Also liked the driving feel of the Mazda best. I knew the Acura and Volvo were also going to be more expensive to service and repair, especially the Volvo. We have a local shop here that works on only Mazdas and its great.

That said, I really did like the XC40 a lot, I think they put together a pretty nice compact crossover that is reasonably priced for a Volvo.

Yea the only one I thought drove better was the X3 but thats a lot more money and I couldnt justify it.

When making the decision on purchasing a new car, road manners & handling is the #1 priority based on the budget I've set. As the interviewers in the video mentioned, the CX-5 has the edge. Each manufacturer has their gimmicks and loyal following and not everyone has the same priorities. The XC40 is a fine car and I'm sure it's owners will absolutely love it, and they should, for $10K more than the CX-5.

Lol, I didn't even look at the brand because of that grille!

Lol that spindle grille is the bane of many's existence. For me, the detached LED eyebrow pushed me away.

3d68439fa292efaf770c478c453dd329

The Lexus grill looks like a carp to me. ;)

The Lexus CUV/SUV offerings are all very squishy and drive like an old peoples car.

The RX is pretty floaty and of course the BOF models are pretty squishy too. My 460 has adjustable dampers so I normally keep them on the firmest sport setting. The funny thing about the 460 is it has the KDSS system on the sway bars like the Land Cruiser. The LX 570 uses a different suspension from the LC. It's effectively an electronic sway bar disconnect but it doesn't really disconnect. Anyway.. it lets you corner vehicle like one it's size shouldn't but still allows for major wheel articulation off-road. The stabilizer bars are massive. I think the only other automaker that Toyota has licensed KDSS too is McLaren.

ispredatorphotochop.png

Last edited:
The RX is pretty floaty and of course the BOF models are pretty squishy too. My 460 has adjustable dampers so I normally keep them on the firmest sport setting. The funny thing about the 460 is it has the KDSS system on the sway bars like the Land Cruiser. The LX 570 uses a different suspension from the LC. It's effectively an electronic sway bar disconnect but it doesn't really disconnect. Anyway.. it lets you corner vehicle like one it's size shouldn't but still allows for major wheel articulation off-road. The stabilizer bars are massive. I think the only other automaker that Toyota has licensed KDSS too is McLaren.

ispredatorphotochop.png

LOL. I never thought of the car like that but you have something there!

I have only driven a RX and NX and came away disappointed. I don't really mind the look but that ride was just so much softer than I expected.

The numb steering would kill any consideration of the Volvo for me. Why would you design a vehicle with numb steering? Did Volvo do consumer preference tests and consumers said they liked numb steering?

The numb steering would kill any consideration of the Volvo for me. Why would you design a vehicle with numb steering? Did Volvo do consumer preference tests and consumers said they liked numb steering?

Actually this is the case. People complain about vibration and so on.

And heated seats. These should always be buttons, not something like the Jeep that I need to hunt for in menus.

Back