2019 Signature - Strange noise when braking

GTEyes

2022 CX5 Signature - Machine Grey
:
NS, Canada
Howdy,

I am trying to help a buddy out with diagnosing this odd noise his CX5 is making. Dealer has lubed caliper sliding pins and checked that everything is tight, no issues found.
Any idea what could be causing this pinging noise?🤔

Thoughts and comments are appreciated!

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_9226.mov
    1.8 MB
File didn’t seem to attach properly...

I am trying to help a buddy out with diagnosing this odd noise his CX5 is making. Dealer has lubed caliper sliding pins and checked that everything is tight, no issues found.
Any idea what could be causing this pinging noise?

I have '19 Signature that's making that exact same noise.

I believe when I've heard this in my Mazda 6, they ended up having to put shims in somewhere as the pads were wearing down

I don't know if this is the same issue, but my '19 signature is doing the same thing.

Maybe the caliper piston on the rear isn't clocked properly to allow the pad to seat?

My '19 GTR has a similar sound when braking for the first time after changing forward/reverse. Please let us know if you figure it out.

I have '19 Signature that's making that exact same noise.

I believe when I've heard this in my Mazda 6, they ended up having to put shims in somewhere as the pads were wearing down

I don't know if this is the same issue, but my '19 signature is doing the same thing.

I think this is what it is. Refer to this TSB. The TSB is specific to the CX-9, but the engine and brake components may be similar enough for both the description and the solution to apply.

DESCRIPTION
Some vehicles may exhibit a click noise from the front brakes under one of the following conditions:
  • When first moving the vehicle forward or reverse from a stop.
  • When first applying the brakes while the vehicle is moving forward at slow speeds.
Due to deteriorated grease between the brake pads and the shim, the front brake pads move upward/downward along with the brake rotors during brake application. When the vehicle moves or the brakes are applied the next time, the front brake pads move to the other side, which causes a click noise.

I think this is what it is. Refer to this TSB. The TSB is specific to the CX-9, but the engine and brake components may be similar enough for both the description and the solution to apply.
Bingo! Pretty sure that is what it is. Thanks.

I wonder what sort of grease the "white grease" in the TSB is? It has a Mazda part number for it.

Ha, this TSB has become an excellent front brake replacement guide with revisions for 2.5T CX-5.

My 1998 Honda CR-V, which has similar design on front disk brakes other than dual piston setup, has the same issue for this clicking noise due to the small movement of the front pads which hit the “mounting support” with “guide plate” in between. By applying more OEM non-rubber-friendly moly brake grease in the area can only reduce the noise, but I still can hear it in the situation described in Mazda’s TSB. I feel this’s the nature of design, not much I can do other than just get used to it. Of course the Honda dealer said the same thing.

Based on the TSB, Mazda has added “protectors”, p/n L2Y7-43-782 which has 25 pieces for MSRP $55.69, between the disk pad “guide plate” and “mounting support” apparently served as a cushion to reduce the hitting noise. With new “protectors“ on each end of pads, the use of brake grease in the area is eliminated.

The Mazda OEM “white grease“ for brakes, p/n L2Y7-33-247 5g for one brake application, need 2 for the front, has the MSRP for $32.39!

Now I like the OEM disk brake pads kit from Honda better for my CR-V which has all necessary parts including new equivalent guide plates and enough OEM moly brake grease for both sides.

Back