2019 Signature CX-5 Battery, Parking Brake and Liftgate Gremlins

:
Phoenix
:
2020 CX5 signature
Actually based on Mazda New Vehicle Warranty booklet, the factory battery is covered in full 3-year / 36,000-mile new vehicle warranty. Which means factory battery should be replaced for free during the warranty period if it’s not up to the performance standard.
Cool, that means a free battery for everyone in Phoenix. - after 30 month all standard batteries in AZ ae down to about 25%

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
Cool, that means a free battery for everyone in Phoenix. - after 30 month all standard batteries in AZ ae down to about 25%
I was surprised by the 3-year / 36K-mile warranty on factory battery too. But it’s consistent with the 36/60 duration warranty on Mazda OEM “High-Performance” Interstate batteries sold at Mazda dealers.

:
CX5 GT
I know there's probably nothing we can do about it, but in this day and age and advanced technology, it's embarrassing that they can't come up with a battery that's at least as good as what was out there ten years ago. If new batteries fail after a year or two, then there's something wrong with the technology and needs to be fixed. This should not be the new normal. It's unacceptable.
Then there's the replacement cost today vs. ten years ago. Let's not even go there.

Its not the battery itself. The charging systems are the problem nowadays.
And there are better batteries out there but they cost 2x and most people would never buy such for normal use.
Its a big business model :) you get 1 free replacement then you gotta pay for a new battery. Almost everything is made to last the warranty period only. The old ones go for recycling and then the lead is used for a new battery and the cycle repeats.

:
2019 CX-5 Siganture
Thanks everyone - and the warranty info is very helpful. My particular car was manufactured before the TSB on the liftgate drain - I purchased in May 2019.

:
CX5 GT
doesnt hurt to try the dealer to verify. at least for the battery test and they can also check the liftgage concern.

My 2019 cx5 turbo battery was failing at high 6k miles. Mazda would replace the OEM stock batt under warranty, but I decided to get a better optima yellowtop agm d35 instead

And nope, mazda corporate told me they wouldn't reimburse/prorate for an aftermarket performance battery

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
My 2019 cx5 turbo battery was failing at high 6k miles. Mazda would replace the OEM stock batt under warranty, but I decided to get a better optima yellowtop agm d35 instead

And nope, mazda corporate told me they wouldn't reimburse/prorate for an aftermarket performance battery
Well, Mazda will give you a “High-Performance” battery too for replacement ⋯ ;) I actually bought one last October after the factory Panasonic battery was failing which had served me 5 years and 9 months in hot Texas weather.

The Group 35 OEM battery sold by US Mazda dealers for CX-5 is made by Interstate. Other than the case color, it looks exactly the same as the Interstate Group 35 battery sold at Costco for $79. The difference is OEM battery has 550 CCA with black plastic case but Costco Interstate Group 35 battery has 640 CCA with white plastic case.

OEM battery has 36/60-month replacement warranty. 1-36 months: free replacement and labor. 37-48 months: customer is responsible for 70% of the battery MSRP and labor. 49-60 months: 80% of the battery MSRP and labor.

Costco Interstate battery has simple 36-month replacement warranty.

If you consider much higher MSRP and labor charge on OEM battery, the 60-month pro-rated part of battery warranty is almost meaningless.

739FAF31-5C47-4F8F-A715-35D8A9CB9042.jpeg

7CBFCADE-C428-493E-AC20-0E760A97561A.jpeg

5E32EB9E-3235-4690-9EB4-F690E16E3B11.jpeg

00712895-38AC-4B19-BEAD-1FD62FB81B73.jpeg

Last edited: