2019 Mazda CX-5 vs. 2019 Toyota RAV4 (Car&Driver)

Thanks for explanation as I personally don't know too much about hybrid and EV. One thing which is interesting to me is when markjenn mentioned above that the RAV4 Hybrid AWD is a new system in 2019 where the rear wheels are only electrically driven.
If you live in TX, is this a concern?
For a CUV I always want AWD although we only need it from time to time for winter snowing condition. But we can hardly find an AWD CX-5 here in Dallas area, and I had to special order one when I purchased our 2016 CX-5 GT AWD.

Not sure about electrically driven rear wheels on RAV4 Hybrid's AWD system, but based on my experience on driving an EV, I don't believe we can tell the difference between mechanical driven or electrical driven on any wheels.

Yeah, lots of beaches there. Sand sucks with crappy awd.
Not really. To be fair to Texas compared to the overall size of Texas... There aren't lots of beaches. There's a few on one side. And how many of those can you drive on? I'm guessing very few.

Not really. To be fair to Texas compared to the overall size of Texas... There aren't lots of beaches. There's a few on one side. And how many of those can you drive on? I'm guessing very few.

There is a 60 mile stretch in South Padre you can drive on. That is one way so 120 round trip. I think it's known as the longest beach drive in America.

920x920.jpg

And several other beaches that have shorter runs.

There is a 60 mile stretch in South Padre you can drive on. That is one way so 120 round trip. I think it's known as the longest beach drive in America.

920x920.jpg

And several other beaches that have shorter runs.

In the 4th grade our class wrote to pen pals in Texas. My penpal said his hobbies included surfing. I thought "surfing"? In Texas full of cowboys and well cows? Little did I know.

Spent plenty of time in TX. Stand by that. Compared to how big Texas is a tiny fraction is beach.
Didn't know about that long ass one though if like to drive that. [emoji23][emoji6]

Tiny fraction but 3359 miles [coastline]! And only ranked 7 in the US.

Yes, I only say that because of how in awe I am by the size of that state. Drove to Austin from Cleveland. It was like 18 hours to the Texarkana border. We were so excited. It was roughly 15 more to Austin iirc. Crazy.

Toyota sold over 43,000 Rav4*s in May for a record month. Is it that good or are people drinking Toyota Kool-Aid?

Good grief. Toyota can do no wrong. They are like the Apple of car brands. They nickel and dime buyers with limitless options and packages on all their trims. It's impossible to settle on a car that has everything you want. And the fact that most of their lineup has archaic infotainment underlines their disregard for buyers. Their name alone will get people to buy.

I can't stand them or Lexus. Of the Jap brands no one shows more arrogance. 43k Rav4s in one month?? With that noisy unrefined NA engine to boot. Wow

They nickel and dime buyers with limitless options and packages on all their trims. It's impossible to settle on a car that has everything you want.

When I was shopping last year, I had a list of options I wanted.

The Mazda vehicle configuration site was nice & simple with some basic a la carte options.
The Toyota one had a bazillion packages with nothing that could be added individually. I could not find exactly what I wanted. It was truly overwhelming and disappointing, all at the same time. I can't imagine getting in front of a salesguy and picking through all that.

The smell of gas drove me away from the CRV, and the complexity of finding what I wanted drove me away from the RAV-4.

Yes, I only say that because of how in awe I am by the size of that state. Drove to Austin from Cleveland. It was like 18 hours to the Texarkana border. We were so excited. It was roughly 15 more to Austin iirc. Crazy.

Lol wut!? I drove from McAllen (border of Mexico, southern tip) to up near Texarkana in 12 hours when I was a kid, and 59 through H town was under construction even. Austin to OK/TxArk is like 8 hours.

Last edited:
It was a long time ago. Maybe it was 8. Felt like 15. [emoji16]

Coworker just texted me. Just picked up 19 GTR. Originally was going to replace her Infiniti Q 50something (I don't know Infiniti) but after test driving both, went Mazda.

Back