2019 GX (Canada) - cylinder decativation

:
2019 CX-5 Signature Soul Red Crystal Metallic
Hey guys,

On the Canadian website, the GX (Base model) does not indicate that it has Cylinder Deactivation.

Is this the case? Or did they just omit it??

Thanks!

Hey guys,

On the Canadian website, the GX (Base model) does not indicate that it has Cylinder Deactivation.

Thanks!

I was under the impression that all 2.5 NA CX5's were affected, but you are right. The Canadian GX does not have cylinder deactivation according to the Canadian spec sheet.

I have seen the Mazda GX model of 2019. I want to test the drive of the Mazda GX model because it looks and Features are excellent.

Hey guys,

Thanks!
Hard to believe its true, but I wish thats the case. Theres no way to tell if the 2.5L is having the cylinder deactivation with a test drive. May be we could tell from the different MPG ratings on window sticker or specification?

Hey guys,

Thanks!

Looking at the Canadian Mazda website they do not list CD as part of the description for the 2.5 engine for the GX model. However, for the GS & GT models they fo list CD for the 2.5 engine? In fact under engine specifications this list CD as not being available. In the Mazda brochure https://cdn.mazda.ca/common/cars/brochures/2019-mazda-cx-5-brochure-en.ts.1902132028260000.pdf CD is not listed.

I would ask one of your local dealers when you do a test drive. FYI, I can't tell when driving my CX5 that the vehicle has CD.

Wade

Here's a screenshot of Mazda's Canadian Build & Configure page showing the lack of CD on the GX description and its inclusion on the GS:

Mazda%20Canada%20specs.png

Note the different mileage figures, both FWD:
GX = 7.8L/100KM (30.17 MPG)
GS = 7.6L/100KM (31.07 MPG)

Last edited:
Here's a screenshot of Mazda's Canadian Build & Configure page showing the lack of CD on the GX description and its inclusion on the GS:

Yeah, thanks to everyone who pointed it out - I had looked at the PDF brochure online and noticed the difference.

This is for a co-worker's Dad, so I wanted to be sure.

I'm very surprised.

Musta had a bunch of 2.5L non-CD engines left over from the previous year and decided to bundle them and sell them all in Canada. lol.

2019 GX (Canada) - cylinder deactivation

Based on estimated gas mileage alone I believe 2019 Canadian CX-5 GX DOES NOT have cylinder deactivation! Kudos to Mazda Canada at least keeps one CX-5 model without cylinder deactivation on the 2.5L!

Yeah, thanks to everyone who pointed it out - I had looked at the PDF brochure online and noticed the difference.

This is for a co-worker's Dad, so I wanted to be sure.

I'm very surprised.

Musta had a bunch of 2.5L non-CD engines left over from the previous year and decided to bundle them and sell them all in Canada. lol.
This definitely is a good thing for Canadians who like the CX-5. Go suggest your co-worker's father getting 2019 GX without cylinder deactivation!

This definitely is a good thing for Canadians who like the CX-5. Go suggest your co-worker's father getting 2019 GX without cylinder deactivation!

But then he's stuck with the lower-end trim, if that's an issue for him.

But then he's stuck with the lower-end trim, if that's an issue for him.
Considering potential problems even after a safety recall, and long-term reliability issue from cylinder deactivation, lower trim CX-5 GX is a better choice if he really wants a CX-5.

I pulled out the old 2018 CX5 brochure I have filed away and it notes that in 2018 the CX5 GX automatic (2.5 l) or GX manual (2.0 l) transmission also doesn*t have CD. Only the GS and GT models have CD.

Wade

Or maybe Mazda has realized the error of their ways, and have stopped producing CD engines, will sell the rest of the CDs as 19s, and go back to the 17 version for 20.

Oh well, that was a nice dream.

I would get the one without CD. Without the complication of CD or turbo, it is probably a rock solid car and will run good for many, many years. Does Canada get their CX-5s from Japan?

Or maybe Mazda has realized the error of their ways, and have stopped producing CD engines, will sell the rest of the CDs as 19s, and go back to the 17 version for 20.

Oh well, that was a nice dream.

But look at what Zig613 said.

I pulled out the old 2018 CX5 brochure I have filed away and it notes that in 2018 the CX5 GX automatic (2.5 l) or GX manual (2.0 l) transmission also doesn't have CD. Only the GS and GT models have CD.

So in Canada, there has never been a gap in non-CD availability. I wonder why they didn't transition everything over to CD globally? Or maybe the US CAFE standards drove the development of the CD version in the first place.

It's weird, isn't it?

My Canadian 2019 CX5 GX was made in Japan and I purposely purchased a GX because I didn't want all the joy that goes with CD and I didn't like the power lift-gate which I found to be too slow and awkward for me. Other than not wanting these two features I would have got a GT model. Too bad you can't get options la carte like days of old.

Back