2019 CX5 i-Activ AWD improvment for offroad

Do you think they updated the AWD system?

• Total voters
:
CX5
I noticed Mazda changed the awd algorithm again in 2019 because in 2017, they reprogrammed the TCS off button to handle diagonal twist but the amount of wheel spin in 2019 vs in 2017 is a huge different.

2017:

2019:

Watch Dave Coleman say that the original algorithm was no good off-road and so it is changed in the CX-30, but I don't think it changed in the CX-5.
The video of the CX-5 is not really conclusive because it is dark and not very well shot. You can't clearly see there is a difference, could be just slightly different position or luck.
You really need to compare with an older model year CX-5 which will do the same trick of turning off traction control.

Last edited:
Not sure about 2019 CX5, but it is in the 2020 CX5.

"Another all-new feature on the 2020 CX-5 is off-road traction assist, which replaces the traction control button and can potentially help the driver when adventuring on uneven terrain. When the diagonal wheels lose traction, off-road traction assist will stop reducing the engine torque and increase the brake force on the wheels without traction. This transfers power to the wheels still on the ground to help allow the vehicle to regain traction and continue the drive. "

The CX-5 and CX-30 are not built with the suspension, frame rigidity or ground clearance to do any serious off-roading. It is great for what it is which is excellent in the snow and on gravel roads. Beyond that you need to be looking at another vehicle.

Back