2019 CX5 GT with HUD

Just had a second windshield crack in 14 months. The first replacement was a distaster ( too many details to recount,classic case of when something goes bad it keeps getting worse) I was without the vehicle for 2 months. Eventually Mazda Canada got involved. Got it back and a year later it cracked again. No Mazda glass available for weeks so I opted for Non OE. When they removed the original replacement, rust was discovered in the A pillar driver side. The paint repairs in the windshield opening from last years fiasco had proved defective, again requiring a new repair. The Glass shop replaced with Non OE. Now the HUD is off and cannot be calibrated. Will have to find a Mazda OE glass and start all over again. This car is my first Mazda and my last. The original dealer was completely incapable of correcting their mistake. The vehicle itself is quite good but this experience has been brutal. Use a good glass vendor like Speedy etc and wait for the OE glass.

Frustrated to distraction!

Just had a second windshield crack in 14 months. The first replacement was a distaster ( too many details to recount,classic case of when something goes bad it keeps getting worse) I was without the vehicle for 2 months. Eventually Mazda Canada got involved. Got it back and a year later it cracked again. No Mazda glass available for weeks so I opted for Non OE. When they removed the original replacement, rust was discovered in the A pillar driver side. The paint repairs in the windshield opening from last years fiasco had proved defective, again requiring a new repair. The Glass shop replaced with Non OE. Now the HUD is off and cannot be calibrated. Will have to find a Mazda OE glass and start all over again. This car is my first Mazda and my last. The original dealer was completely incapable of correcting their mistake. The vehicle itself is quite good but this experience has been brutal. Use a good glass vendor like Speedy etc and wait for the OE glass.

Frustrated to distraction!

Why would this cause you to avoid the brand? It sounds like the blame should fall on the dealership and the glass shop.

A competent dealership would have reinstalled the glass correctly the first time, and a competent glass shop would know beforehand that the equipment behind the windshield would need to be recalibrated, so they would be sure to install glass that would allow recalibration.

Find a new dealer and use a better glass shop, and enjoy the car. Mazda as a brand is not to blame.

Like I said the Mazda is a quite a good vehicle, I have dealt with two dealers and Mazda Canada. I take some of the responsibility myself for allowing this to get this far. The reality is that the ownership experience has been greatly tainted. I will also agree that this could happen with other brands.
If you know any good dealers in the Toronto area I would be happy to hear it.

Why would this cause you to avoid the brand? It sounds like the blame should fall on the dealership and the glass shop.

A competent dealership would have reinstalled the glass correctly the first time, and a competent glass shop would know beforehand that the equipment behind the windshield would need to be recalibrated, so they would be sure to install glass that would allow recalibration.

Find a new dealer and use a better glass shop, and enjoy the car. Mazda as a brand is not to blame.
I'd avoid the brand, too, if I were OP. The issue is systemic for OP, as OP wants a vehicle that works, and Mazda literally cannot provide this for MONTHS at a time. Screw that. I love my Mazda, but the minute something like this happens, I'll be in something else.

buy american :) and there wont be such a problem with spare parts availability like windshield, etc.

buy american :) and there wont be such a problem with spare parts availability like windshield, etc.

I guess the smile emoji covers up the fact that this ideal of an "American" car is outdated by about 30+ years...

and EVEN if your car manufacture of choice has a headquarters / PO box in America - the international investments in those companies RARELY help citizens of this country. Long story short every manufacture has repair facilities, every manufacture has replacement parts, every manufacture has lemons in their product line, every manufacture experiences parts shortages / scarcity (even more so when the world is busy trying to keep most people alive). Are the windshields on the CX-5 a "problem"? - nah road debris and lack of municipal road maintenance are the problem. -- says the FJ Cruiser owner with a near vertical windshield.

The glass delay I could live with. Parts delays happen with all makes, that is not the problem. The problem was and is the abysmal workmanship throughout this entire episode. For instance, they replaced the left roof moulding because of damage caused at the dealer. What I got was the moulding for a vehicle with a roof rack which I do not have. It was considered “good enough”. This on a 3 month old vehicle. The clips on the moulding were secured into the retainers with Urethane?
What kind of bozo thought that was a good idea. The CX5 is an above average vehicle in its class. That is why I bought it.
When I leave my car with a dealer for service or repair, I trust them to carry out the work professionally and with care for their customer. That has been a mistake On my part.

Attachments

• C36CA5F0-144C-43B4-BE0D-2B69170FA0CB.jpeg
    C36CA5F0-144C-43B4-BE0D-2B69170FA0CB.jpeg
    87 KB · Views: 153

The Mazda dealership is part of the brand!!

The Mazda dealership is part of the brand!!

Dealerships are privately owned franchises. Ideally they are supposed to provide good customer service and build brand loyalty. Obviously this is not always the case, regardless of the manufacturer. The point I'm trying to make is that the manufacturer/brand is not responsible for hiring the less-than-competent workers/salespeople in the dealership. The brand manages dealerships as a whole - they deal with dealership complaints.

Customer has issue with work done at dealership. Customer complains to dealership about the quality of work, dealership ignores the complaint. Customer complains to brand's corporate office. Corporate investigates issue with dealership and acts appropriately. Now, if the corporate office claims no fault or refuses to assist, then I would agree that experience with the brand has been soured. In this case, it sounds like all of the problems stem from the dealership you used, which is why I made the suggestion of using a different dealership instead of writing the brand off completely.

That's my rationale and opinion on the matter. I hope you're able to get a new OE windshield installed correctly so you can put this experience behind you as soon as possible.

Latest posts

Back