2019 CX-5 stuttering wipers

:
2019 CX-5 Signature Soul Red Crystal
I've had my wiper blades replaced 3 times, with the latest being top of the line Bosch and I still get stuttering on the 'normal' speed which is either rain-sensing or 'on'. At this point I believe it's a faulty wiper motor. Please don't cite cleaning of the windshield as that never worked. Anyone else have this issue?

I had stuttering wipers on my former Jeep Renegade even with new wipers. Now that I think of it and have read a few things about rain-x washer fluid....it may have been a contributing factor.
My wifes 2018 CX5 and my 2019 CX5 just have regular washer fluid and no stuttering at all.

Have you used a rain-x type washer fluid recently?

I had the same thing when I got my CX 5. I took some rubbing alcohol and a paper towel and wiped the windshield down and it stopped the shuttering. Apparently there was a film of something, maybe wax, on the windshield that caused it. Worth a shot.

1. clean/wash your windshield
2. Clay bar your windshield
3. Wipe your windshield to remove clay bar lubricant
4. (Optional) apply Rain-X to freshly clay bared windshield

If the wipers still shutter, the issue may be with the wiper blade as there is a dragging friction/defect causing the blade to skip/jump and new blades may be necessary.

DO NOT buy those Rain-X wipers as they are junk. Yes, they apply the Rain-X solution to the windshield on the first uses of the blade in rainy weather, but after the first month, they perform no better than any other standard wiper. You are better off applying the Rain-X solution to the windshield by hand as the effects last longer.

With Rain-X on the windshield, you should not have to use your wipers unless the rain is extremely heavy and visibility is greatly reduced.

In standard or light rain, I've rarely used the wipers with a Rain-X'd windshield as the water just flies off. My experience, YMMV.

Here's a good explanation for why it chattered, and the new arm fixed it. You probably could have been able to correct it with some persuasion from pliers:

Ok, I have an update. Around December 2020, I had the service center replace the entire wiper arm and that seemed to solve the stuttering problem on the driver's side. However, it's starting to happen again, despite only 2+ month old wiper blade and just washed the car and cleaned the windshield with the Rain-X.

Questions to other 2019-2020 CX-5 owners:

* do you see stuttering at all?
* if so, is it only when there's barely any moisture?
* do you only see it in rain-sensing mode?
* do some of you get perfect smooth operation even with a dry window?

I'm almost at my wits end here. They replaced the entire wiper arm + blades and still no resolution.

no stuttering with mine , but only drove couple times
in the rain so far....
2019 sport ...
no rain-x on windshield
just wash/wax then clean glass with windex

So an update, I just had my wiper inserts replaced at the Mazda dealer. The driver's side wiper stuttering at the end during rain sensing mode. The new OEM wiper inserts are thicker than before, like Bosch. I'm beginning to think it's a design flaw with the wiper arm or the curvature of the windshield?

So an update, I just had my wiper inserts replaced at the Mazda dealer. The driver's side wiper stuttering at the end during rain sensing mode. The new OEM wiper inserts are thicker than before, like Bosch. I'm beginning to think it's a design flaw with the wiper arm or the curvature of the windshield?
Not Likely.

This caught my eye since when I got my new '24 the drivers side wiper was stuttering on about the last 4 inches of throw. It stopped after a couple of days of rain and has been fine since.

But after watching that video it makes me wonder if the inserts aren't changing their orientation so that they're being pushed instead of pulled on the backstroke, especially if the rubber is thicker and more rigid then the the previous ones. It's probably worth stopping the wipers where they're stuttering and seeing how the insert is sitting on the glass and whether it's angled towards the front or back of the wiper.

I put a glass coating on front and rear (Gyeon Quick View) when I got the car and the wipers are smooth as silk. They don't even really make a sound. You'll want to clay the windshield then clean with a surface prep, especially if the car isn't new. And clean the wiper blades as well with a towel and mild cleaner. Nothing that will harm rubber.

They didn't stutter when new, I just thought I'd add some things that can help. I chose the Quick View because it was tested to not stutter, while some others can.

Back