2019 CX-5 Signature, whistling noise on highway or high speeds

I know it's been a while since this post has been active, but I just found the forum so I'll add my experience here. I have a 2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature Edition. Absolutely love it except for this noise issue coming from the roof rails. At about 90 mph airspeed (not speedometer speed) I get this noise coming from the roof rails. It's a single tone noise, it's loud and annoying. If I'm driving in non-windy conditions or with a tailwind then it's not much of an issue. But if I'm driving 80 mph into a 10 mph headwind (or 70 mph into a 20 mph headwind) then it's really a bad cabin experience. I keep forgetting to look for fixes like this and the pandemic has made road trips less frequent, but I'm about to go on a 12 hour road trip and I finally remembered to check for a fix. I will try the tape over the "cap/rail" junction and report back. My Mazda dealer admitted that it was a known issue but I'm disappointed that they haven't stepped up with what seems to be an easy fix for this. I can deal with some electrical tape for long trips. Zoom Zoom ya'll.

I have been occasionally hearing the same noise in my 2019 Mazda CX-5.
Made a few recordings with my phone, and played them for the service advisor during the most recent service trip to Oak Tree Mazda in San Jose, CA. Somewhat predictably got "Unable to duplicate problem" response from him, even though he admitted to hearing a similar noise in his personal CX-5..! He then told me he thought it was.... a tire squeal from a side wind lifting one side of his car. ***facepalm***
I guess I'll have to look into taping the cap/roof rack area.
Here's a recording of this annoying noise: https://vimeo.com/547826873

I have been occasionally hearing the same noise in my 2019 Mazda CX-5.
Made a few recordings with my phone, and played them for the service advisor during the most recent service trip to Oak Tree Mazda in San Jose, CA. Somewhat predictably got "Unable to duplicate problem" response from him, even though he admitted to hearing a similar noise in his personal CX-5..! He then told me he thought it was.... a tire squeal from a side wind lifting one side of his car. ***facepalm***
I guess I'll have to look into taping the cap/roof rack area.
Here's a recording of this annoying noise: https://vimeo.com/547826873
I have had this noise happen a few times on really windy days.
I see this high speed video of a CX5 also shows the noise, too. I don't have a roof rack/rails on my CX5, so it's not that.

I have had this noise happen a few times on really windy days.
I see this high speed video of a CX5 also shows the noise, too. I don't have a roof rack/rails on my CX5, so it's not that.

+1. No roof rack and/or rails on mine.

In that video in the comments the author says he was told it's the plastic at the bottom of the windshield which is making the noise and to fix it it requires attaching the plastic to the window with some sort of sealant. It's interesting because at times you hear the sound coming from two different places at once.

I have a 2020 Signature and have heard that noise once when I was driving about 85mph and my car got hit with a very strong crosswind. I do have the roof racks (no crossbars) for what it's worth but it sounds like that has been ruled out as the cause.

In that video in the comments the author says he was told it's the plastic at the bottom of the windshield which is making the noise and to fix it it requires attaching the plastic to the window with some sort of sealant. It's interesting because at times you hear the sound coming from two different places at once.

I have a 2020 Signature and have heard that noise once when I was driving about 85mph and my car got hit with a very strong crosswind. I do have the roof racks (no crossbars) for what it's worth but it sounds like that has been ruled out as the cause.
But the plastic trim surrounding the windshield should never be sealed or glued onto the windshield.

Yeah that part seemed sketch. In the comments he mentions he hadn't actually done it yet so who knows if that it is actually even the fix. I'm surprised Mazda hasn't figured this out yet since it's obviously not uncommon.

OMG! That YouTube video is my noise issue on my 2019 CX-5 Sig edition! Problem is that on mine the noise was starting when the airspeed got around 90 mph. Mazda engineers had my car for 2 weeks. They tried the window seal theory....no luck. They finally duck taped the exterior driver side window seam and, boom, no noise. They say that a bulletin is coming out about this. They did something to my door molding to try and fix it but it just raised the speed threshold a little bit. Still not fixed. I love my CX-5 Sig edition but that noise takes a little joy away from the Zoom-Zoom.

Last edited:
OMG! That YouTube video is my noise issue on my 2019 CX-5 Sig edition! Problem is that on mine the noise was starting when the airspeed got around 80 mph. Mazda engineers had my car for 2 weeks. They tried the window seal theory....no luck. They finally duck taped the exterior driver side window seam and, boom, no noise. They say that a bulletin is coming out about this. They did something to my door molding to try and fix it but it just raised the speed threshold a little bit. Still not fixed. I love my CX-5 Sig edition but that noise takes a little joy away from the Zoom-Zoom.View attachment 298434
Which state are you in, and what Mazda dealership did you go to? So far mine has been of no help; gave me their typical "Unable to duplicate problem" response.

Which state are you in, and what Mazda dealership did you go to? So far mine has been of no help; gave me their typical "Unable to duplicate problem" response.
Austin, Texas. Roger Beasley Mazda. I had to drive the shop foreman around and show them the conditions where the noise starts because they didn't want to drive at higher speeds. In my case, at 70 mph with a good headwind, the noise is pretty consistent. Crosswinds lower the speed threshold where the noise starts.

The answer here is it's the front door seals. If it happens, pull the door in at the top window bar area. Noise stops.
There is a fixit kit from the dealer:

1.PNG

2.jpg

3.jpg

I'm glad this is finally out. Though it's a little wonky that, to confirm this is your issue, while driving between 120 kph (75 mph) and 160 kph (100 mph), they want you to grab the top window bar and pull in to see if the noise stops. I guess that means you have to put your drink down? I guess you can steer with your knee ;)

This is great news! How much do you guys reckon it’ll cost for the dealer to do this repair? My 2019 GT is past it’s 36k mileage warranty and I get these loud whistle noises when I drive through the San Fernando Valley.

This is great news! How much do you guys reckon it’ll cost for the dealer to do this repair? My 2019 GT is past it’s 36k mileage warranty and I get these loud whistle noises when I drive through the San Fernando Valley.
Not sure what the cost would be. However, since this is a new bulletin on the CX-5 I would push for coverage since the noise started prior to your warranty period ending and there was no fix (or admission of a problem) until now.

Pads are as 1 package at $40 discounted, otherwise $56 end user. Add 1 hr labor ..say $50-60 or whatever your dealer charges.

The fix seem doable at home if you can buy the pads. It seems the pads just push the seal out to make better contact.

p.s. Noticed that the bulletin is showing only the EU models.

Last edited:
That YouTube vid is spot on to the noise my 2019 GTR makes. I have only heard it probably 4 times since I have had the car, but never returned it to dealer (still hasn't been to one) as would probably not be able to replicate it.
The first time I was in Colorado and there was a blizzard and as I would go through protected areas it would cease, I am looking forward to people that solve this problem without going to the dealer. If somebody orders the kit, please post pics as the service bulletin is hard to figure out (to me anyway) can't seem to picture sec A-A or B-B. Does the pad go under the seal? Do the pads have holes for attaching the seal? Do you then need longer fasteners?

Last edited:
I have a 2016 Mazda CX5 Touring that has a whistling noise that occurs only during hot/warm weather and at highway speeds. The noise seens to change with wind direction (more pronounced with a head wind. It totally disappears during the winter. I do have roof rails but have not looked at gap described in some posts. Has anyone else seen changes associated with outside temperature?

Sadly, Mazda North America continues to be denial that this issue exists. I filed a complaint with NHTSA #11429312 two days ago. Hopefully it'll get the ball moving, if slowly. 2019 MAZDA CX-5 SUV FWD | NHTSA or search by the complaint #11429312.
I have numerous in-car videos documenting the issue. As a next step I am planning to measure and record how loud the noise inside the cabin gets.

I had the same issue when my crossbars were added to the rails of my RAV4. The shape of the front and back of the crossbars are different. When I reversed them, the whine went away.

I don’t have rails on my CX-5 so I can’t confirm it would have the same result.

Back