2019 CX-5 Signature vs. Grand Touring Reserve

dainish

:
Mazda3 s
I cannot make up my mind between the Signature in red or the Grand Touring Reserve in red with the parchment interior.

I'm currently driving a 2006 Mazda3 s. I don't really need the extras on the Signature, but I do like the brown leather and wood trim. I thought I definitely didn't need the parking assistance, but I'm not used to driving this type of car at all. Also wondering if the seats on the Signature are actually more comfortable or not. (Drove a BMW 330i today and LOVED the seats...)

Any thoughts? I know I'll likely be happy whichever I choose. Just can't make up my mind! And I kind of want to do that soon--the BMW salesman drove my car to appraise it and afterwards, my driver door wouldn't open from the inside. Sigh.

I'm torn between the same decision. I like the Red with white leather and also like the additions in the signature.

Given the lack of the red/white combination in the Signature, I'll wait it out and see what 2020 offers. Hopefully some of the extra signature bits will trickle down to the GTR or Mazda will offer the white leather on the signature.

I compared the seats in both and didn't really notice the Signature was more comfortable. I'm actually turned off from the Signature interior as I find everything is too dark (seats, headliner). I find it a sea of black and in the night, you cannot find anything readily if you drop something in the dark.

If you can't wait, I'd go with the GTR for the color combination given you're not so keen about the extras.

I bought a Signature last week, and I'm really happy I spent the extra money over the GTR. I was coming from a 2016 CX-5 GT. The 360 camera's image quality is not great, but it's still been very helpful when parking in tight parallel spots or garages - I'm also a District resident :)

The other trim upgrades on the Signature - the darker finish wheels, the LED interior lighting, black headliner - IMO do make the car feel much more luxurious. The aesthetics of this car make it feel like a big upgrade over the 2016 I had. When I drove the GTR on a test drive, I didn't get that as much.

I love, love the brown leather - both the color and the feel, but that's just preference. Comfort-wise, it's equivalent to the black/white leather.

Good luck making a decision

Don't get the Parchment (or any very light color) if you ever wear bluejeans. Ask me how I know.

I'm waiting for MAZDA to offer the Signature with a lighter headliner and a lighter Napa leather like a grey to go with the lovely blue they offer. I don't like sitting in a dark interior. ie black trim, black headliner and dark brown seats. I love my 2014 Soul red touring with sand/grey seats and a light headliner, because it feels more open ans airy. Ed

I'm waiting for MAZDA to offer the Signature with a lighter headliner and a lighter Napa leather like a grey to go with the lovely blue they offer. I don't like sitting in a dark interior. ie black trim, black headliner and dark brown seats. I love my 2014 Soul red touring with sand/grey seats and a light headliner, because it feels more open ans airy. Ed

Yeah, I got the GTR half-way for the headliner honestly.

Don't get the Parchment (or any very light color) if you ever wear bluejeans. Ask me how I know.

Was it a Mazda??? Ive already stained my dining room seat cushions (which are white but fabric) with my dark jeans.... Thanks.

Gray would be nice. Or even a beige rather than the parchment. Its so close to white. And we have a dog....and were planning to have kids. I worry the parchment would get very dirty very fast. I dont want to wait though...my Mazda3 is a 2006.

Gray would be nice. Or even a beige rather than the parchment. It*s so close to white. And we have a dog....and we*re planning to have kids. I worry the parchment would get very dirty very fast. I don*t want to wait though...my Mazda3 is a 2006.

At least wait for 2020, unless you're scared your car currently will strand you. No sense buying late in a model year, but before t he new one is out, as you lose the option to pick a "new" one, and you won't get near the incentive on "new old stock".

Was it a Mazda??? I*ve already stained my dining room seat cushions (which are white but fabric) with my dark jeans.... Thanks.

No, it was a BMW with very light beige leather seats (facing only). I used to wear jeans to work and even after multiple washings they would leave a light blue stain on the leather. At first it wasn't that noticeable until you compared it to the passenger seat. It took lots of elbow grease to (mostly) remove. One look at the CX5 GTR w/Parchment - striking as it is, and I thought "no way"!

I usually go for black interior but that brown is really nice! Id be very tempted to go with that myself.

I'll look to 2021 or 2022 year to see if MAZDA reevaluates their color combinations. They seem to have interior designers that love dark and more dark interiors. New blood needed in that department for sure. Ed

I'll look to 2021 or 2022 year to see if MAZDA reevaluates their color combinations. They seem to have interior designers that love dark and more dark interiors. New blood needed in that department for sure. Ed

Light interiors tend to not be my cup of tea as they always look more worn faster, but I get it. Especially if I was in a predominantly hot climate.

I*m picking up my Red Soul Sig tomorrow. I personally like the interior color and headliner and feel it will not show wear as quickly as lighter colors. I feel it*s more luxurious and I prefer the darker ambiance. I strongly considered the GTR, but enjoyed the Napa in a previous Audi and wanted the sensors and 360 view. I didn*t want to wait until 2020 as my trade in has more value in summer months than fall / winter. Either model is an awesome car. I was more concerned about my exterior color choice based on comments on this Forum, but went with the red anyway. Good luck.

Most people are wise to stay away from the white due to it's ease to get dirty. I primarily wear blue jeans and don't really have an issue. Mind you I clean it at least once a month and use conditioner that renews that leather smell.

Primary reason I like the white is that in the summer, it's not as burning hot on the thighs when wearing shorts and overall the car feels cooler and brighter. So far for me, I'd say the white ages better than the black as the crease lines are not as visible.

I agree with the posts above that Grey or Tan would be a nice option to the white in a Soul Red.

Most manufactures try to reduce the options to simplify the build/ordering process and that's why some customers are left sitting on the fence waiting and hoping or move along all together.

Last edited:
My 2014 just turned 50K miles so I had no intention of trading it soon. Just wish they offered other interior options other than black and dark brown. Ed

I had every intention of buying a 2019 Signature until I compared it side by side with a GT Reserve in the same color on the dealer lot. The dark brown leather did not go well with the Machine Gray Metallic paint that I wanted, the bright silver finish on the GT-R wheels looked better with that color paint, the black headliner in the Signature made the interior feel a bit claustrophobic, and I didn't care about the parking assist feature. The difference between the GT-Reserve and Signature was about $2000 so for me I ended up with the GT-R.

I had every intention of buying a 2019 Signature until I compared it side by side with a GT Reserve in the same color on the dealer lot. The dark brown leather did not go well with the Machine Gray Metallic paint that I wanted, the bright silver finish on the GT-R wheels looked better with that color paint, the black headliner in the Signature made the interior feel a bit claustrophobic, and I didn't care about the parking assist feature. The difference between the GT-Reserve and Signature was about $2000 so for me I ended up with the GT-R.

Basically where I lean, too, since I want the same color...

Was it a Mazda??? Ive already stained my dining room seat cushions (which are white but fabric) with my dark jeans.... Thanks.

Our 2016.5 had Parchment leather and we had no issues with staining from bluejeans over our three years of ownership. Upon buying the car, we opted to purchase the Xzilon interior protection and it worked great. Actually found some blue ink marks on the rear seat and it cleaned up easily with a towel and minimal elbow grease. So, if you do go for the Parchment, def. consider some form of protection for the seats.

I am anxiously awaiting the 2020 rumored interior upgrade. I know it's personal preference but I would prefer a lighter colored interior. Currently shopping a Forester Touring with the saddle brown interior which is gorgeous and has a larger sunroof. The Tiguan has a two tone option with an awesome pano roof. Read a report that the 2020 interior would include upgrades similar to the 3, new colors , and wood trim that was intended to invoke thoughts of a Samurai sword. Wish I could find the link again so I could post it. Unsure what is meant by "invoking thoughts of a Samurai sword"

Back