2019 CX-5 signature first oil change - conventional or synthetic?

WRONG OIL USED FOR TURBO

I need to take in my 2019 GTR for it's 2nd oil change soon so I was checking the previous report to see what oil they used... it was Castrol GT 0W-20 for the turbo...? even though the manual AND oil cap literally say 5W-30.

Why would they use the wrong oil? Could this damage the turbo/engine? Will it affect the warranty?
No, it wouldn't damage your engine if you change it at 5K miles or less especially if it is a cold environment outside. But that was a careless mistake the tech made.

WRONG OIL USED FOR TURBO

I need to take in my 2019 GTR for it's 2nd oil change soon so I was checking the previous report to see what oil they used... it was Castrol GT 0W-20 for the turbo...? even though the manual AND oil cap literally say 5W-30.

Why would they use the wrong oil? Could this damage the turbo/engine? Will it affect the warranty?

I don't know if it would affect the warranty since it was a Mazda dealership that did it, but in any event, you have to do your due diligence and make sure they're servicing your car correctly. If you have the time, I'd take it back and get them to put the correct oil in. That's a pretty significant oversight IMO. Regardless of whether the engine would be ok or not, it's not ok for them to get away with this. If you don't speak up, they won't be able to correct the mistake with your car and any other 2.5T CX-5 that comes in. Escalate to Mazda NA if you have to.

I guess you need to watch them put in the correct oil. I suspect no damage unless you pulled a trailer or WOT frequently. I would escalate this up to the dealer top manager and not just the service writer. This would make me mad. Ed

Great, thanks for the info.. will definitely be discussing this with them in the near future.
You should be able to ask for at least a free oil change with correct oil and oil filter due to the wrong oil been used. Make sure to get right oil filter, as it’s different from the one used in 2.5L.

WRONG OIL USED FOR TURBO
Why would they use the wrong oil?

Incompetent, don't care, don't have the right stuff, wanted to charge more for the syn....pick your poison. My experiences would lean towards incompetent.

QUOTE="CL7, post: 6678550, member: 174629"]
WRONG OIL USED FOR TURBO
Could this damage the turbo/engine?
[/QUOTE]

How would you or anyone else know w/o a teardown to have a look see at the internals? If you weren't constantly hammering on the engine, I wouldn't think a one time mistake would be an issue, but, the stuff they put in is water thin. Continued use of the wrong oil however, would be a different story.

QUOTE="CL7, post: 6678550, member: 174629"]
WRONG OIL USED FOR TURBO
Will it affect the warranty?
[/QUOTE]

It certainly could give Mazda an excuse not to cover any engine lube related damage should you need the warranty in the future. Suzuki dealers would ask for all OC receipts before they did a teardown if they suspected internal issues. If you didn't produce receipts showing regular and proper OCIs, they wouldn't even go any further until you agreed that you were paying for the work. (dealers get burned all the time by the manufacturers for warranty work payment). If OCI receipts checked out, dealer would tear it down after getting approval from ASMC. They'd locate the issue and then contact ASMC again with the findings and for approval to continue at ASMC's expense. Regardless, if ASMC denied the claim, you were on your own negotiating (or fighting) w/ the dealer that did the work over who was paying for the teardown (already done), the repair, and reassembly. Now you're in to the 'how good is your relationship w/ your dealer' phase of negotiations and how forthright are they as a business. I'd certainly hold on to that receipt just in case. Depending upon how the Service Manager reacts to your asking why they used the wrong oil, you then may want to consider contacting Mazda directly and opening a case directly w/ them yourself so they are aware that one of their dealers used the wrong oil in their engine that is still under their factory warranty.

I would make certain it is entered into the MAZDA database that the wrong oil was used. I had the same thing and caught if a mile away and had them replace filter and oil. Excuse was that they don't sell alot of turbos.

I am sure that the modern 5w30 regular oil is fine for your engine if you follow Mazda's oil change recommendation. However, since a synthetic oil is not much more expensive and does give a larger safety margin, I chose Pennzoil Platinum for my MAZDA VX7 turbo. Ed

I agree that the Mazda 5W30 conventional oil is fine. The last time I had it changed, the Tech told me it was a blend, but that is not stated anywhere on the bottle (so who knows). Besides I have the oil changed every 3500 miles, so I am not too concerned.

I've been using Mobil 1 EP 5-30 for 35K miles, now. Vehicle does great. Zero oil usage, mpg is 26.5 avg. over those 35K miles, just works fine.
Any name brand full synthetic 5W-30 oil is fine for the 2.5T. Those are not much more expensive than Mazda OEM conventional 5W-30 oil, and provides much larger safety margin and long-term engine protection.

Just bring your own full synthetic 5W-30 oil you prefer to your dealer and make sure you want the empty oil bottles back.

Any name brand full synthetic 5W-30 oil is fine for the 2.5T. Those are not much more expensive than Mazda OEM conventional 5W-30 oil, and provides much larger safety margin and long-term engine protection.

Just bring your own full synthetic 5W-30 oil you prefer to your dealer and make sure you want the empty oil bottles back.
I prefer the M1 EP formula because it's a DI turbo engine, and that oil is exceptional in that application due to its addpack.

I bought some Valvoline Advanced engine 5w-30. It's supposed to be good for DI (direct injection) engines like Mazda's.

Difficult to believe that a MAZDA dealer would use the incorrect oil but, it happens by those not interested in providing good service. Bring it to their attention and demand that they put the correct oil in your turbo engine. In Addition; do fall for the response "we put the correct oil in but, the computer on is set up for 20 weight" Baloney. Ed

Difficult to believe that a MAZDA dealer would use the incorrect oil but, it happens by those not interested in providing good service. Bring it to their attention and demand that they put the correct oil in your turbo engine. In Addition; do fall for the response "we put the correct oil in but, the computer on is set up for 20 weight" Baloney. Ed
One of the problems on getting the oil change at a Mazda dealer for 2.5T is Mazda sells the conventional OEM 5W-30 oil. Those dealers actually are trying to use “better” and more expensive Mazda OEM 5W-30 oil instead of much cheaper any bulk oils to their customers.

Reviving this thread. I dropped my CX-5 off at dealer for a full synthetic oil change and they filled it with 5W-30 conventional (ugh!). They're making good on it, however, they use Ford OEM oil (they're a Ford/Lincoln/Mazda dealership.

They will drain and refill tomorrow for me.

The oil they will use is this one: https://www.motorcraft.com/us/en_us...oils/sae-5w-30-full-synthetic-motor-oils.html (GF5/SN). Any reason to object to this this oil?

I'll answer my own question (and should google before I post! Lesson learned..):

Apparently this oil is GF-6/SP/RC/SN PLUS, so should be pretty good stuff and perfect for my CX-5.

Last edited:
Reviving this thread. I dropped my CX-5 off at dealer for a full synthetic oil change and they filled it with 5W-30 conventional (ugh!). They're making good on it, however, they use Ford OEM oil (they're a Ford/Lincoln/Mazda dealership.

They will drain and refill tomorrow for me.

The oil they will use is this one: https://www.motorcraft.com/us/en_us...oils/sae-5w-30-full-synthetic-motor-oils.html (GF5/SN). Any reason to object to this this oil?

Should be fine, I think. What do they charge for an oil change? Depending on price, it may be worth seeing if they would be willing to let you bring your own oil in, and finding out what they would charge for filter and labour only. Then, if it makes sense, you could buy something like Pennzoil Ultra Platinum or Castrol Edge when it's on sale, and then only pay for filter and labour during the service.

Should be fine, I think. What do they charge for an oil change? Depending on price, it may be worth seeing if they would be willing to let you bring your own oil in, and finding out what they would charge for filter and labour only. Then, if it makes sense, you could buy something like Pennzoil Ultra Platinum or Castrol Edge when it's on sale, and then only pay for filter and labour during the service.

I thought about this. A full synthetic oil change is $70. I pay $60 (I have a perpetual coupon in my Mazda app that both my wife and I use) and with our 15% military/first responder/medical discount It comes down to $51 + tax. No complaints here.

Back