2019 CX-5 Diesel

Did you notice this in a comment made by the author 1 week ago today (Feb 1):

Got news from Mazda: CX-5 Diesel 2020 is currently undergoing a recertification process, as required by the CARB (California Air Resources Board) every two years. Once they have received final certification for sale, they will announce the schedule for the start of production of the 2020 CX-5 Diesel.

Interesting, huh?

The bottom line for those who don't like reading ... I bought a CX-5 Diesel for $30900 today. :)

The details .....
So, I've been lurking around here for awhile reading about the CX-5 Diesel. I've been interested in it since Mazda talked about bringing it to the USA. I've purchased 3 Mazda's ('15 3HB touring / 16.5 CX-5 touring / '18 3HB GT pp ) and think Mazda makes a great product :)

When the diesel hit my dealer (southwest Ohio) I told my salesman (great guy, awesome business relationship with him) that it'll never sell the way Mazda has delivered this (pricing, economy) and when he gets tired of it sitting on the lot, I'll buy it (He knows I'm a bargain shopper). I get $9.95 oil changes on my other Mazda's and am in the dealership frequently. Always sit and chat for a few minutes with them.

A few days before Christmas, he made an aggressive offer to me of $30900 for the Machine Grey Metallic CX-5 Diesel and $17.5k trade for my '18 3HB GT pp. I countered with $30900 and $19.5k trade. No Dice. Then the last day of January, he called up with $31400 and $18.5k trade. I thanked him but declined. So today was the day. He said they're tired of it and would do the $30900 and $19.5k trade (I only paid $20.4 for the 3HB GT pp new). So, now the diesel adventure begins :cool:

Only time will tell about reliability on the diesel (I've read the stories from other countries) but I'm familiar with diesels and the emission systems and have background in them so they don't scare me. The diesel is definitely a quiet, torque-y, refined driving experience. I have the '16 CX-5 with the NA2.5 so I know how that driving experience is and my brother has a '19 CX-5 signature with the 2.5g turbo that I've driven as well so I have that comparison also.

I have appreciated reading in the forums information on various subjects from others and I'll try to share my experience with the US diesel since some folks are interested in it.

The bottom line for those who don't like reading ... I bought a CX-5 Diesel for $30900 today. :)
First, thanks for "spilling the beans" up front! That's how you do it!!!

Second, congrats on the purchase. It sounds like one heck of a deal for the car you got.

I believe there is only one or maybe two other members here who have purchased a CX-5 diesel. I look forward to hearing your ongoing reviews. May your stories all be positive!!

Last edited:

The details .....
So, I've been lurking around here for awhile reading about the CX-5 Diesel. I've been interested in it since Mazda talked about bringing it to the USA. I've purchased 3 Mazda's ('15 3HB touring / 16.5 CX-5 touring / '18 3HB GT pp ) and think Mazda makes a great product :)

When the diesel hit my dealer (southwest Ohio) I told my salesman (great guy, awesome business relationship with him) that it'll never sell the way Mazda has delivered this (pricing, economy) and when he gets tired of it sitting on the lot, I'll buy it (He knows I'm a bargain shopper). I get $9.95 oil changes on my other Mazda's and am in the dealership frequently. Always sit and chat for a few minutes with them.

A few days before Christmas, he made an aggressive offer to me of $30900 for the Machine Grey Metallic CX-5 Diesel and $17.5k trade for my '18 3HB GT pp. I countered with $30900 and $19.5k trade. No Dice. Then the last day of January, he called up with $31400 and $18.5k trade. I thanked him but declined. So today was the day. He said they're tired of it and would do the $30900 and $19.5k trade (I only paid $20.4 for the 3HB GT pp new). So, now the diesel adventure begins :cool:

Only time will tell about reliability on the diesel (I've read the stories from other countries) but I'm familiar with diesels and the emission systems and have background in them so they don't scare me. The diesel is definitely a quiet, torque-y, refined driving experience. I have the '16 CX-5 with the NA2.5 so I know how that driving experience is and my brother has a '19 CX-5 signature with the 2.5g turbo that I've driven as well so I have that comparison also.

I have appreciated reading in the forums information on various subjects from others and I'll try to share my experience with the US diesel since some folks are interested in it.
I look forward to hearing more of your ongoing experience.

I probably would have pulled that trigger too. Can't remember what color our dealership has.

Awesome deal!
Keep us posted on your ownership experience.
I came to my 2019 Reserve off a 6 year Golf TDI ownership via the VW buyback. Really fun to drive little car.
My dealership still has the exact vehicle (same color) you bought sitting since last summer.

I wouldn’t have been able to pass on that deal either. $1000 annual rent for your last car, huge tax savings with the trade in and thousands below the gas turbo.

stick to your higher quality gas stations for diesel like Shell and you should be good to go.

That sounds like a great deal. Will be very interested in hearing what kind of mileage you get.

Just because we don't virtue signal politically circlejerking, and share the fanatical alarmism that has become prevalent, doesn't mean the US doesn't do anything like you are making it out to be. Reasonable people here all agree that we should be good stewards of the environment and curb pollution. Unreasonable people on the alarmist side say screw your jobs, livelihood, and economy. Crash the whole damn thing. Reasonable people say you need to transition smoothly and slowly with technologies that actually work while working people transition their skills into newer technologies or be left behind, at that point, it's their own choice.

EPA chart Uno posted show this to not be true. Thoughts?
It’s been a very long time coming but I’ve been working a lot. You asked a civil question and I’ll attempt to address what I find very confusing about the CX-5 diesel thing.
All of my comments are based on the fact that “our” diesels are so much cleaner and more fuel efficient than the gasoline engines. The charts that Unob produced show there to be very little difference between the gasoline and diesel engines which don’t stack up with eu experience so I had a look further at those charts and it suggest much the same for fuel consumption.
For that reason I thought I’d compare something European. We don’t have the 2.5 in England so I had to look in the German brochure where the have comparable AWD auto models. This shows a very different story. The new European standard shows a figure for a combined cycle. This shows what I expected to see for the gasoline engine fuel consumption which is 32.7 miles per US gallon and that compares reasonably well with your figures. However, the diesel is what I expected and not what your chart shows. The diesel is 42.7 which looks a lot different to your chart. As your chart gives an indication of annual consumption and annual effect on the environment, it follows that the less fuel it uses the the less impact it will have. So! Either your figures quoted by Mazda and used in your calculations are incorrect OR the European model uses a lot less fuel and has a lessor impact on the environment as a result. I don’t understand what’s going on or why if true your model uses more fuel than ours does. I’ll attach all the photographic evidence.

Attachments

• F235D254-8017-47FE-BBC3-961CAEE3F94E.png
    F235D254-8017-47FE-BBC3-961CAEE3F94E.png
    95.3 KB · Views: 169
  • A835D274-FE38-4AAF-8024-242546E34C89.png
    A835D274-FE38-4AAF-8024-242546E34C89.png
    119.6 KB · Views: 169
  • F0959481-114F-4095-9024-4CC3F3554C45.png
    F0959481-114F-4095-9024-4CC3F3554C45.png
    157 KB · Views: 168
  • F2D09736-C217-40F8-BADE-92BA7CDE904C.png
    F2D09736-C217-40F8-BADE-92BA7CDE904C.png
    127.2 KB · Views: 166
  • F24C05EC-F568-4A12-B31C-9A91A531C088.png
    F24C05EC-F568-4A12-B31C-9A91A531C088.png
    78.5 KB · Views: 158
  • F6073004-0902-426C-BBB0-9022606C7EC9.png
    F6073004-0902-426C-BBB0-9022606C7EC9.png
    74 KB · Views: 155
It’s been a very long time coming but I’ve been working a lot. You asked a civil question and I’ll attempt to address what I find very confusing about the CX-5 diesel thing.
All of my comments are based on the fact that “our” diesels are so much cleaner and more fuel efficient than the gasoline engines. The charts that Unob produced show there to be very little difference between the gasoline and diesel engines which don’t stack up with eu experience so I had a look further at those charts and it suggest much the same for fuel consumption.
For that reason I thought I’d compare something European. We don’t have the 2.5 in England so I had to look in the German brochure where the have comparable AWD auto models. This shows a very different story. The new European standard shows a figure for a combined cycle. This shows what I expected to see for the gasoline engine fuel consumption which is 32.7 miles per US gallon and that compares reasonably well with your figures. However, the diesel is what I expected and not what your chart shows. The diesel is 42.7 which looks a lot different to your chart. As your chart gives an indication of annual consumption and annual effect on the environment, it follows that the less fuel it uses the the less impact it will have. So! Either your figures quoted by Mazda and used in your calculations are incorrect OR the European model uses a lot less fuel and has a lessor impact on the environment as a result. I don’t understand what’s going on or why if true your model uses more fuel than ours does. I’ll attach all the photographic evidence.

Thanks for the post, interesting stuff for sure.

Considering the amount of time it took to come to market, I really don't think the US diesel is the same as the EU diesel. Just a speculation, but there definitely seems to be a discrepancy.

Well add me to the list of diesel owners. I'm the foreman at a mazda dealer and managed to get a very very good deal on it. Let me say that unless you get a deal on it, it's not worth it. Let me also say that I kinda like this thing. I wish they had more power in this thing for passing...but lord does it feel good when you're just cruising through traffic and cruising on the highway. The tip-in torque on this thing feels really nice (full torque at around 2000 rpm). I'm not necessarily an aggressive driver so zipping around people isnt really important to me.

I drive 2.5 and 2.5t cx5s every day and I gotta say, they're a really jerky car (especially since 2017). To me, the diesel feels all around like a more refined experience. I need to do some research on remapping the ecu and what not, I feel thatll help it out a little.

If you manage a good deal on one....give it a test drive. I thought I was gonna hate it looking at the numbers. Also note: I work on these things so the repair aspect isnt as much of a factor for me.

The details .....

Probably one of the only diesel CX5 customer that I think made a solid move.

Do we have any reports on real world mpg's yet?
Not quite a month with it yet but about 1500 miles. Pretty much as advertised so far ....

Around 28.5 mpg combined typical week of commuting and running around.

I towed a trailer (around 2000 lbs but it's tall with lots of wind resistance ) on a 500 mile round trip with furniture and turned in 17.5 mpg. That (in my opinion) is fantastic compared to the v6 gasoline powered vehicles I've towed that trailer with that turned in 9mpg & 12mpg and struggled with it. This cx5 tows a trailer like a dream with power to spare.

Diesel cost is down right now and I've been paying around 2.30/gal (gas is running 2.15-2.30)

All in all I'm pleased with my diesel experience so far.

Not quite a month with it yet but about 1500 miles. Pretty much as advertised so far ....

Around 28.5 mpg combined typical week of commuting and running around.

I towed a trailer (around 2000 lbs but it's tall with lots of wind resistance ) on a 500 mile round trip with furniture and turned in 17.5 mpg. That (in my opinion) is fantastic compared to the v6 gasoline powered vehicles I've towed that trailer with that turned in 9mpg & 12mpg and struggled with it. This cx5 tows a trailer like a dream with power to spare.

Diesel cost is down right now and I've been paying around 2.30/gal (gas is running 2.15-2.30)

All in all I'm pleased with my diesel experience so far.
That's good news!
Your mileage is better than my Reserve turbo.

These are such nice cars. I'd smile twice as big driving it with the deal you got.

2000 miles on odometer now ....

This past week my average (330mi of commute/runnin' around town) was up about 14% at 32.5 mpg. I have a very light right foot from engine start until I have coolant temps up above 120F (less then 2 min) but after that, I make good use of the diesel's torque :cool: . Feels really nice. Two things different were the ambient temperatures were up a bit this week and I know the car did a "regen" on the DPF filter the Friday before. It'll be interesting to see if the efficiency varies with DPF restriction. It has about 2000mi on the clock now so who knows what other variables are at play.

The D.E.F. (Diesel Exhaust Fluid, "AddBlue", whatever you like to call it) level has dropped to 95%.

We had our first mostly highway cruise (Southwest Ohio rolling hills) this weekend. 271 miles rural highway with some traffic lights. 65 mph with maybe 20 miles of it I would put in more of a "city" category. About 700 lbs of passengers and gear. She turned in 33.5 mpg for us.

When you put this CX-5 diesel in a situation where it has something holding it back is where you really feel that diesel "pull" i.e. exiting a tight corner or intersection turn at low speed onto an uphill grade with a good load of people / stuff. That's when I really smile big :). It just motors right up the hill with a pleasing low pitch rumble and low rpm's instead of winding out like a gas powered machine. You just don't feel it as much driving the car by yourself around on city streets or highway. It just goes through the gears so quick you don't appreciate the power like when you make it work.

With owning a 2.5NA and a 2.2 diesel and access to 2.5T I was thinking about taking all three out (loaded down with about 800-1000lbs) with 3 (or more) drivers and doing a test loop of a variety of terrain to evaluate the driving experience of each powertrain back to back. I think it would be fun :). I may do that this summer.

With owning a 2.5NA and a 2.2 diesel and access to 2.5T I was thinking about taking all three out (loaded down with about 800-1000lbs) with 3 (or more) drivers and doing a test loop of a variety of terrain to evaluate the driving experience of each powertrain back to back. I think it would be fun :). I may do that this summer.

If you recorded the experience and your commentary and uploaded it to YouTube, I'd definitely give it a watch!

I was given a CX-5 diesel as a loaner today when they serviced my Reserve (I guess they had to find some use for it), so I drove it around town for a while and took it out on the interstate.

The things I immediately noticed were the roughness of it (not quite as smooth driving as my Reserve) and the acceleration...it was fine, but it was different. You could really tell that the transmission is geared differently. But it moved on the interstate when I put my foot into it.

The computer mileage for its 1,000 miles was 27, I assume mostly around town. That's not spectacular, but my Reserve only gets 19 until it warms up, and that takes 10 miles or so. After 8,000 miles my computer mileage is under 24.

Getting back into my Reserve, I could tell how much quieter and smoother a ride it is. The difference is stark.

Back