2019 CX-5 Diesel

So is anyone looking at buying a diesel?

I may be ready for a used one in a few years if it turns out they practically average 30+ MPG the way I drive. I have a 2018 GT AWD premium (2.5NA) and I'm getting about 25 or 26 MPG on average.

I noticed that the other day with diesel being cheaper than 87.

It could be a few cents more now but this is what we pay in WA state for gas tax.

2456-wmdevicewastatefederalfueldtaxratesdecal.jpg

I may be ready for a used one in a few years if it turns out they practically average 30+ MPG the way I drive. I have a 2018 GT AWD premium (2.5NA) and I'm getting about 25 or 26 MPG on average.

I'd go RAV4 hybrid way before I did a CX5 D, unless the specs we were shown are somehow not representative of actual ownership experience.

Going back to some of the earlier sentiments of CX5 D at $40K, I just cannot see this being of much interest in the US. I can see it in Europe, but not the US.
Time will tell if this combination of a premium price for a diesel will entice US buyers.

It will be interesting to see if dealerships will be skittish to keep many of them on the lot. Time will tell and maybe my skepticism will be foolish thoughts.

Maybe that's the thinking behind the PreOrder deal that Mazda is offering? They're trying to gauge the market for the "D", before they start rolling them out to dealer lots.

Time will tell if this combination of a premium price for a diesel will entice US buyers.

It will be interesting to see if dealerships will be skittish to keep many of them on the lot. Time will tell and maybe my skepticism will be foolish thoughts.

Diesel release video on YT. It seems that since 2012 the diesel share in Japan grew from 1 to 6% and Mazda had 70% of those sales.
July release date. 15% better FE than Turbo. But I heard cleaner cleaner and free revving blah blah. 27 mpg and 30 mpg. I cant believe this CX-5. 41 grand for this bad FE. Only good thing out of that is AWD Mazda6 diesel. But am not sure if this is EPA pretty much killing it with regulations or Mazda bottling it royally.

Correct me if I am wrong here.
Isn't diesel engine more likely to accumulate carbon deposit on the intake?

That is extra cost to keep cleaning it up every 50K miles or so.
I have seen horrible pics of such deposit on Mazda diesel engines (which have been on the roads of many countries).

Err, you might be. The fact is that all post 2017 models barely dilute the oil whereas all pre 2017s (KE models) did. So if consuming oil rich vapour is the primary catalyst for causing carboning of the intake and we have cured dilution then by definition we may have cured piston blow by and carbon build up. The truth is that so far, we don*t know because it only happens with engines that are high in mileage and low in duty. So the clean up is more like 75-100k miles on the older models and we wait to see what happens with these. The other thing to note is that you guys can*t go off and buy your favourite oil at the parts store or you definitely will end up with problems. They take oil classified as C3 here which produces very low soot and it is expensive. We pay around 12 per litre which is around $46 for a US gallon. You can reduce that to account for your duty levels but I don*t know by how much because it*s common here and I presume rare there so you*ll have limited resource. They don*t like dirty diesel either so if you buy it from a truckstop then you won*t do as well as higher grade stuff and of course that comes with a price.

I had a CX5 rental for three weeks last month and I can tell you that it drank fuel compared to a diesel so especially for high mileage users, there should be benefits despite what the figures say.

Last edited:
nope, when I saw the specs of the Diesel, I bought a GT-R instead.
I am curious to see real world fuel mileage figures though

well if it was a 3.0 biturbo diesel with more torque yes, but in this setup...meh...
I would prefer the 2.5 turbo petrol as well in US.

Why does the diesel have a higher rated towing capacity than the 2.5T gas engine which has as much low end torque? Is the diesel getting other changes to the drivetrain, chassis, or other elements?

If not fuel economy, not low end torque, what is rationale for demanding a premium over and above the cost of the gas turbo? It doesn't seem to show up on paper. Is the subjective feel of the diesel's low-end pull going to induce euphoria?

Why does the diesel have a higher rated towing capacity than the 2.5T gas engine which has as much low end torque? Is the diesel getting other changes to the drivetrain, chassis, or other elements?

Could be a lot of things - more cooling margins, larger brakes, stiffer springs, etc. Need to have the car get in tester's hands to know more.

If not fuel economy, not low end torque, what is rationale for demanding a premium over and above the cost of the gas turbo? It doesn't seem to show up on paper. Is the subjective feel of the diesel's low-end pull going to induce euphoria?

Turbo to diesel, the diesel does do somewhat better (28 combined vs. 24) which could add up to be significant if you drive a lot of miles. Of course, you have to factor differing fuel prices and the extra diesel injection fluid in to the equation. I think there is also the expectation that perhaps the diesel will do a lot better on the highway in the real world vs. the estimates, perhaps even pushing 40. Time will tell.

I doubt few customers will opt for the diesel for economy reasons alone. As you say, they will simply like the character of the diesel engine and want to try something different. And the towing capacity is higher. Folks need to not get too hung up on the high price...the diesel only comes in Signature trim and apples to apples the price premium is about $4K, not a huge amount and pretty par for the course with respect to the bump in price with other cars/trucks that offer both a gas and diesel version of the same car.

I'm sure in a month or three we'll start seeing back-to-back tests of both the gas and diesel CX5s. And I bet some (not all) will say that the diesel is the better overall car and worth the extra. Specs are specs and driving is driving.

- Mark

Could be a lot of things - more cooling margins, larger brakes, stiffer springs, etc. Need to have the car get in tester's hands to know more.

Turbo to diesel, the diesel does do somewhat better (28 combined vs. 24) which could add up to be significant if you drive a lot of miles. Of course, you have to factor differing fuel prices and the extra diesel injection fluid in to the equation. I think there is also the expectation that perhaps the diesel will do a lot better on the highway in the real world vs. the estimates, perhaps even pushing 40. Time will tell.

I doubt few customers will opt for the diesel for economy reasons alone. As you say, they will simply like the character of the diesel engine and want to try something different. And the towing capacity is higher. Folks need to not get too hung up on the high price...the diesel only comes in Signature trim and apples to apples the price premium is about $4K, not a huge amount and pretty par for the course with respect to the bump in price with other cars/trucks that offer both a gas and diesel version of the same car.

I'm sure in a month or three we'll start seeing back-to-back tests of both the gas and diesel CX5s. And I bet some (not all) will say that the diesel is the better overall car and worth the extra. Specs are specs and driving is driving.

- Mark

That*s a refreshingly balanced opinion.

Wouldn't doubt if real word mpg will exceed epa estimates. I have a 14 audi q5 tdi w/ 3.0 V6 rated at 24/31 and I routinely get 28/38 with light/average driving habits w/ attainable driving range 700 miles on highway trips going 65-70 mph. It does have about 20 gallon tank though. Will be interesting to see how reviews pan out.

Back