2019 CX-5 Diesel

V
2019 Mazda CX-5 GT Reserve
Just got an email.
Local Mazda dealer has a discount of $10,000 on 2019 diesel CX5 off MSRP !!!
(4 at this price....)
Now I'm even more curious as to how quickly these will move even at these discounts and how much will the largest discount be? Looks like $10,000 is the largest posted so far.
I too am even more tempted to test drive. I came from a Golf TDI to my GTR.

Last edited:
V
Any speculation if there will even be a 2020 CX-5 Diesel & how might this effect the Mazda 6 Diesel ever showing up?

V
2017 CX5 AWD Touring
Any speculation if there will even be a 2020 CX-5 Diesel & how might this effect the Mazda 6 Diesel ever showing up?
I read that the diesel is DEAD in the USA. Will try and find the site and link.

Doesn't surprise me the diesel is being pulled from the USA. It didn't sell and nobody wants one, especially at an elevated price that brings no extra power or MPG but only brings less reliability and higher maintenance costs. Makes no sense to buy one.

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg. Plano, TX
Contributor
2019 CX-5 Diesel

Doesn't surprise me the diesel is being pulled from the USA. It didn't sell and nobody wants one, especially at an elevated price that brings no extra power or MPG but only brings less reliability and higher maintenance costs. Makes no sense to buy one.
And makes no sense to import it into the USA at the first place either!

V
13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose
Now I'm even more curious as to how quickly these will move even at these discounts and how much will the largest discount be? Looks like $10,000 is the largest posted so far.
I too am even more tempted to test drive. I came from a Golf TDI to my GTR.
Selling for $38k in my region for 2019 Diesel signatures.

Chocolate

Harpy Eagle
V
2019 Mazda CX-5 AWD
And makes no sense to import it into the USA at the first place either!
An expensive mistake for them, for sure. VW definitely ruined the diesel market in the US. To me, the Diesel CX-5 doesn't make sense in a country where gas costs (in many places) in the low 2 dollars, per gallon. At 32k, sure. 42k is just ridiculous. But there's a lot of expensive diesel hardware that has to be put in.

There is no 2020 Diesel CX-5 listed on the U.S. build and price.

https://www.mazdausa.com/shopping-tools/build-and-price

V
Closest dealer to me showing a discount on their web site has $6664 discount on a 2019 Signature diesel.

V
VW definitely ruined the diesel market in the US.
Yeah, definitely. While I can't complain about driving my VW Golf TDI for 6 years & having them buy it back for almost what I paid for it, it certainly tainted the US diesel market. I really miss my TDI but it was too good a deal to not sell it back. Bought new for around $21K for a really fun to drive car that could pull 50+ mpg on the highway (with falsified emissions of course).

I think it also gave people expectations for much higher mileage when Mazda announced the CX-5 diesel & the price just helped seal it's death.

V
'14 Mazda CX-5 GT
Haven't driven one yet, but I think my top dollar would be in the 28's for one of these. Curious to see how far they drop.

Avoidin Deer

Central Virginia
Contributor
V
2019 CX-5 Reserve
Haven't driven one yet, but I think my top dollar would be in the 28's for one of these. Curious to see how far they drop.
The problem then becomes that with so few of a single-model-year-run on the road, the availability (or lack thereof) of parts and experienced mechanics becomes a big issue.

Avoidin Deer

Central Virginia
Contributor
V
2019 CX-5 Reserve

Here's a screenshot of MazdaUSA's website:

Note that the CX-5 diesel is only listed for 2019, and the Mazda6 Signature diesel is a "Future Vehicle."

V
2017 CX5 AWD Touring
Just stopped at local Mazda dealer. They had 1 CX5 diesel on the lot and they said it has been sitting for 6+ months. Nobody wants to buy it. Eventually they will discount it by a lot or send it to another dealership. They said the diesel is DEAD and Mazda will no longer be selling them in the USA.

Most likely Mazda lost MILLIONS of dollars on the CX5 diesel with production and all. Huge loss for Mazda.

Avoidin Deer

Central Virginia
Contributor
V
2019 CX-5 Reserve
Just stopped at local Mazda dealer. They had 1 CX5 diesel on the lot and they said it has been sitting for 6+ months. Nobody wants to buy it. Eventually they will discount it by a lot or send it to another dealership. They said the diesel is DEAD and Mazda will no longer be selling them in the USA.

Most likely Mazda lost MILLIONS of dollars on the CX5 diesel with production and all. Huge loss for Mazda.
FYI:
Mazda Stock.jpg

It's always interesting to watch the stock price in the context of some of the things we discuss here. Of course, Mazda is no behemoth, and it's lightly traded.

Latest threads

Latest resources