2018 CX-9 fuel tank capacity question

maynoc

:
2018 Mazda CX-9 GT
Just got my CX-9 GT (FWD) about a week ago, Mazda's site says 19 gallons (FWD) and 19.5 for AWD. the miles left with amount of fuel said i had 6 more miles until empty (I was on the highway too driving conservatively). when i exited off the highway and went to the nearest gas station, it said 5 miles left.

when i filled up my tank, it pumped 13.9 gallons and couldn't add anymore. i find it very hard to believe that there's a 5 gallon reserve tank, that would be beyond ridiculous. anyone know what the size of the reserve tank is?

Yes, I just did my first fill up and had similar results. 10 miles left showing and needle almost on empty. Only took 15 gallons. From a previous car I am used having around two gallons once I hit the E. This will take some adjusting too.

Mine seemed spot on last night with 450 miles. I filled up with 15 miles remaining and it took 17.8 gallons. Although the this was my first fill from empty, I topped it off from halfway at around 150 miles.

Perhaps the car adjusts after the first fill.

hey all,
I have had the same kind of situation although I already have 9k kilometers on the odometer.
In my experience the fill up rate depends on how u drive. Example.
if I have been driving in highway and my avg consumption is around 22mpg the fill up when the system says I have 10 kms remaining, will be around 16 gallons
If I have been driving in the city with heavy traffic and my avg is around 12mpg ( no kidding the traffic can be a nightmare in my city here and 12mpg is much better than the 9mpg my old santa fe did ) the fill up will be of around 14 gallons.

so I guess the safety calculation of how many kilometers are remaining has a lot to do with the driving habits. perhaps to safe?

I recently completed an 890mi trip from SoCal to the SF bay area and back. The most I was able to get into the tank at one filling was 16.9 gallons, and the distance to empty was showing somewhere around 5 miles (from memory). The fuel gauge had been replaced with a "Refuel Now" indicator on the dash.

Real quickly.

The final Distance to Empty calculation the CX-9 makes is based on fuel consumption trends leading to the initial refill indication. However, once you add enough fuel to take the CX-9 out of final Distance to Empty calculation, estimated distance is based on the average between specified city and highway mpg until a new fuel consumption trend is established. Ergo, your last Distance to Empty value for a fixed/specified quantity of fuel on-board may not be exactly the same each time.

Fuel capacity of the AWD CX-9 is 19.5 US gallons. However, I've tested my actual tank capacity and have pumped 21+ US gallons without overflowing the tank, which is something you never want to do because you could damage an important part of the EVAP Systems which is the charcoal canister. Typically, I refuel until the pump's auto shut-off engages. Wait 30 seconds and then continue refueling until auto shut-off engages a second (final) time. This ensures I don't ever overflow the tank and never have a charcoal canister (EVAP) problem that comes from routine overfills.

Ever wonder why your older vehicle simply won't take a full tank of fuel at the pump because the pump keeps shutting off? You might have a Charcoal Canister problem where the charcoal pellets themselves have escaped into other parts of your EVAP System causing blockages in airflow within that system. As you refuel, liquid replaces air in the tank. If air cannot escape properly, the pump may shut off prematurely as it 'senses' a full tank (it does not know or care that the tank is not full). Certain Hyundai models are notorious for this because of poorly designed Canister components in the EVAP System and owners who routinely overflow at the pump. Combine those two things together and you get people who can't seem to fill-up their car at the pump.

I recently completed an 890mi trip from SoCal to the SF bay area and back.

Getting ready to make that same trip (Newport Area). I'm hoping to reach the Grapevine on a single tank. How much do you want to bet I don't make it, LOL! I'm gonna try, though. Not sure - the Grapevine from the Bay Area might be a real stretch. If I can make that Denny's next to the Valero just before the north side of the Grapevine, I'd be happy. That's 272 miles straight line. Though Hwy 5 is not straight line, it should come out to something over 300 miles. I should be on fumes by the time I reach the Vine.

Last edited:
Depending on how you drive (and how fast), I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t make the grapevine. I filled up in San Rafael, and then filled up again in Kettleman City so that I can make it to my house with a fairly good amount of fuel still in the tank. I also used cruise most of the way, and was averaging +\-25 miles per gallon, so things should work out for you. This was taken on I-5 somewhere in the middle of nowhere...

2cf32e2ace0d7cda1c3d02a7715c694c.jpg

Aaaaaaaand, your doing 80 to boot - nice. That MPG trend looks really good, too. I've never seen MPG like that, but I'm heavy on the foot and light on the brakes locally. Of course, when doing a long-drive like that, no doubt that I'll have radar cruise actively engaged as much as practical. I typically make the Kettleman City stop in the Corvette and then have to refuel again just before the Vine. But, that's because triple digit MPH was no doubt routinely seen somewhere between KC and Vine. Won't be doing that in the CX-9, however. So, I hope to see good fuel burn numbers like yours.

Hopefully, there won't be too much traffic on 5. That highway has become congested over the past few decades. I remember back when 5 between LA and SF was nothing more than a slingshot run - wide open and free for the taking.

Has anyone ever seen more than 400 miles to empty on their display?

my computer is pretty consistent that I am getting 25 MPG. So how is it we have a 19 gallon fuel tank but I have never seen 400 miles or more to empty. The math doesn’t add up. Either I’m getting much less per gallon, the tank is smaller or there is a 100 mile reserve.

So, what do all of you see when you fill the tank. Miles to empty. I usually get 360 and that’s almost all highly driving. I have drive 36 miles to work each way, it’s all highway with two traffic lights.

24 mpg x 19 = 456 minus 50 mile reserve is still 406 miles

25 mpg x 18 = 450

23 mpg x 17 = 391 ???

I see about 410 miles on the display about every time I fill up but I average about 22mpg. I've never actually gone 400 miles on a tankful

I consistently go over 420 miles before I fill up, when not towing. My miles to empty are often in the 440 range.
The most I have put into my tank was 18.8 gallons, and I normally fill up before the miles to empty hit 0.

Thanks. So maybe there is something wrong with my car. 2018 CX9 GT and I top it off and only see around 360 miles to empty on the display. But my driving report says I’m averaging 25 mpg.

How come every time I fill up, I only see 353 miles to empty? I had my battery replaced a month ago and when I filled up my car after that situation, I saw 393 miles to empty once, but now I’m constantly seeing 353 miles. I would constantly see 350-353 miles to empty before my battery was replaced.

How come every time I fill up, I only see 353 miles to empty? I had my battery replaced a month ago and when I filled up my car after that situation, I saw 393 miles to empty once, but now I’m constantly seeing 353 miles. I would constantly see 350-353 miles to empty before my battery was replaced.
Your driving habits are decreasing your total range

Back