2018 CX-5 GT Ticking

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
The 2018 does have cylinder deactivation but I don't think that ticking noise is from CD.
Based on Mazda’s Service Alert and TSB, this tapping noise problem is only from 2.5L with cylinder deactivation on 2018 and newer CX-5’s. And the switchable hydraulic lash adjusters (HLA) on cylinder #1 and #4 are designed only for cylinder deactivation / activation.

9F35BE32-4D85-4BD9-AE97-8A92B15490F0.jpeg

:
2017 Mazda 6 Sport
Based on Mazda’s Service Alert and TSB, this tapping noise problem is only from 2.5L with cylinder deactivation on 2018 and newer CX-5’s. And the switchable hydraulic lash adjusters (HLA) on cylinder #1 and #4 are designed only for cylinder deactivation / activation.

View attachment 295610
But that other TSB you posted in the other thread describes the same symptoms as this one but is a year newer and applies to all 2018-2020 Mazda 6, CX5 and 2019-2020 Mazda 3s (even w/o CD)

View attachment 295610
The dealer here seems to know nothing about this. Its worse, they tried to charge me $200.00 because they could not diagnose a problem. I had the FOB in hand so I just walked.

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature
This video popped up in my YouTube feed, and I figured it would be worth sharing.

In the comments, the uploader responds to a comment from James Bottger, and states that he used to work with Mazda, and that the engineers explained to him that the 2.5L non-turbo is supposed to sound the way it does in the video. Of course, with no way to validate his credentials/experience, we have to take it at face value.

There are some 1st gen 2.5L CX-5 owners here who have racked up over 100k (and have provided UOAs to show that wear levels remain low). If those users could chime in and confirm that, upon cold start in cold temps, their engines sound just like the one in the original video posted by OP, and the video in this post, that would be really helpful. At the very least it would provide some reassurance that the engine should make it to at least XXX mileage even with the ticking described.

This video popped up in my YouTube feed, and I figured it would be worth sharing.

In the comments, the uploader responds to a comment from James Bottger, and states that he used to work with Mazda, and that the engineers explained to him that the 2.5L non-turbo is supposed to sound the way it does in the video. Of course, with no way to validate his credentials/experience, we have to take it at face value.

There are some 1st gen 2.5L CX-5 owners here who have racked up over 100k (and have provided UOAs to show that wear levels remain low). If those users could chime in and confirm that, upon cold start in cold temps, their engines sound just like the one in the original video posted by OP, and the video in this post, that would be really helpful. At the very least it would provide some reassurance that the engine should make it to at least XXX mileage even with the ticking described.
This is normal I fully agree, however the sound people are talking about is completely different and not healthy.

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature
This is normal I fully agree, however the sound people are talking about is completely different and not healthy.

I must not be hearing what you're hearing then. The cold start up in both the OP's video and the video I posted sound the same to me.

:
2018 CX5 GT, Metallic Machine Gray and 2018 MX-5 RF GT, Soul Red
I listened to both clips again. I think the OPs has a much more distinctive "tick" sound. My 2018 (21k kms) sounds like the clip sm1ke posted.

Wade

:
2018 CX5 Mach Grey
Unreal.

and that is not the same noise that i am having to deal with that is a rapid clicking noise . The metal on metal tapping noise I have is a completely different animal and is occurring on the top passenger side of the engine right under the top cover no wheres near the HP fuel pump. As I have posted , the mazda technician has already identfied it as failing Hydraulic Lash Adjusters and i am scheduled to have mine replaced. That timing retard diaspears quickly once the cats heat up but the metal on metal sound is more prominent and doesnt go away until the engine fully heats up after about 15 mins

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature
Unreal.

and that is not the same noise that i am having to deal with that is a rapid clicking noise . The metal on metal tapping noise I have is a completely different animal and is occurring on the top passenger side of the engine right under the top cover no wheres near the HP fuel pump. As I have posted , the mazda technician has already identfied it as failing Hydraulic Lash Adjusters and i am scheduled to have mine replaced. That timing retard diaspears quickly once the cats heat up but the metal on metal sound is more prominent and doesnt go away until the engine fully heats up after about 15 mins

Thanks for clarifying.

For the record, I posted the clip to provide a frame of reference, not to dismiss a potential problem that others might be having. If the sound is different to the listener's ear than what is in the video, by all means get it checked out. Again, the video is posted for reference, in case someone new comes across this thread wondering about the loud engine noise upon startup - they can compare their engine noise with the sound in the video and determine for themselves if the sound is normal, or if it is the result of an issue with the HLAs.

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
The dealer here seems to know nothing about this. Its worse, they tried to charge me $200.00 because they could not diagnose a problem. I had the FOB in hand so I just walked.
Show the Service Alert to the dealer, and contact Mazda North American Operations or Mazda Canada complaining.