2018-2019 Mazda6 Cabin Noise

:
2015 Mazda 6
Hey everyone

I currently own a 2015 Mazda 6 and I am considering swapping it for a 2018 Mazda 6 Signature.

One of my 2 biggest complaints with my current car is the ridiculously loud cabin noise. I know with the new-gen 6, Mazda tried to address that a bit. It's hard to really get a gauge of how quiet/loud the car is from a few test drives because you need to own it and drive it in many conditions to really know.

Can anyone with a 2018-2019 Mazda 6 say if they've really improved on this? Is it still an issue for you? Ideally, I would love the opinion of anyone who had the last-gen Mazda 6 and now has the new one to give their insight but any opinions are appreciated.

I can only tell you that, in term of noise....

'14 Mazda3 (similar to your '15 Mazda6) < '16 Mazda6 < '17 CX5 (similar to '18 Mazda6)
"<" means *worse*/*noisier* than

The big step in noise reduction came with the 2017 model. Each since has made incremental improvements

I had a 2010 3 - brutal noise, wind and tire noise.

Went to a 2017 3 hatch. Much better on summer tires. Still noisy on winter tires (that's a given).

Had twins, traded my 3 hatch in for a minivan. Took over my wife's 2017 CX-5. Was much quieter than the 3. Way quieter than I was expecting.

Like the CX-5, but it was only a touring. And I like cars... Found a deal on a very lightly used '18 6 signature and wife let me trade in. I have no noise complaints. As noted above similar experience as the newer CX-5 in terms of cabin noise levels. Current winter tire setup is probably a hair quieter than the CX5 was, but I think I've also got a better tire on this then we had on the CX5.

That's about all the input I can provide. I'm in my car typically for 2+ hrs per day and 150-200 km mixed driving.

Thanks everyone, especially Studum - this is great first-hand insight.
Was in discussions to purchase the 18 Signature as I mentioned. Dealer in Toronto had it for 32k - dealer in Quebec had it for 29k. Quebec dealer offered me 3k less on my trade-in compared to Toronto, so the savings on the car cancel out with their low-ball offer.
Since then Toronto lowered their price down to 31k. I'm in no rush, so maybe in the next month or 2 they will become more desperate to move the car and lower the price even more. Let's be real, the chance of any dealer selling a new-gen Mazda 6 right now is so slim...

The 2019 6 signature I just bought is acceptably quiet in the cabin. Its not objectionable at all. They did a pretty good job making it a good place for a long road trip in terms of road noise and interior comfort.

I can totally relate. Cabin noise was the main problem I had with my 2015 6. A dream to drive over smooth pavement, noisy as heck over rough pavement. Infotainment was my second gripe.
Other than that, the car was rock solid. Never a mechanical problem in 116K miles I drove it.
Although the NVH issue was definitely solved on the 2018 and later models. I ended up trading up to a CX-5. Happy as can be.

I had a 2015 touring mazda 6 before I got my 2018 Grand Touring Reserve 6. The difference in noise levels is huge. The 2015 car was a great fun to drive car, but it lacked power and refinement. The 2018 is much more refined, and is still a very good handling car for that class, has excellent steering with good feedback and a compliant but firm suspension, but it is not a Lexus or BMW level in terms of the refinement. The reason in my opinion is that it still has a 4 cylinder. The 4 cylinder engine makes unrefined noises at idle and doesn't sound all that great when you are driving it hard either. It's basically a truck engine and they slapped a turbo on it. Meh...

I've just read the next generation (2023?) will have a v6 hybrid power unit with rear wheel drive and possibly a coupe version coming. If that is the case, Mazda would really have upped the ante for this model and the car will now be competing with 3 series bmws, acuras and infinitis while presumably costing a whole lot less. I can't wait to see if they actually do it.

I just saw an article last week about the possibility of the new 6 coming out in 2022.
It looks and sounds amazing.
If everything is true (RWD, 6 cyl, etc), I'll be first in line to trade in my 2017 6.

I was considering getting a used 2018 M 6 since the prices have dropped so much. But after hearing about the new 2022-2023 model that is coming out, i dont mind waiting! Figure I'll save some money in the short term and keep my 2015 for a few more years. Dont want to give up my interior just yet!

Wow...does that interior ever pop! Looks awesome.

Latest posts

Back