2017 Spare Tire Mod for U.S.

:
2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature
Just bought a 2012 CX-7 spare (18x4) for $50 shipped off ebay. So at least I'll have the wheel. I doubt the tire will have much useful life.

:
I can't remember ever getting a flat or puncture on the fronts. I always seem to pick-up nails in the right rear. So for me (2019 Sig) it is more an issue of protecting the AWD gearing.

Last edited:
:
2014 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech
I'm sure Mazda's response will be to eliminate the spare and just supply a can of fix-a-flat in the spare tire area!

brillo54

Resident Curmudgeon
Contributor
:
NE Indiana
:
'16 CX-5 GT FWD
They wouldn't be the first to do that. That's all my sister-in law's '16 Jeep has.

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature
Ideally you would do as the manual says:

"Do not install the temporary spare tire on the front wheels (driving wheels): Driving with the temporary spare tire on one of the front driving wheels is dangerous. Handling will be affected. You could lose control of the vehicle, especially on ice or snow bound roads, and have an accident. Move a regular tire to the front wheel and install the temporary spare tire to the rear."

That said, I can appreciate wanting to get out of that situation quickly. In that case, having a spare that also fits on the front would have been ideal. I suspect that Mazda simply chose not to spend the extra money on a spare that accommodates the front brakes, and intends to fall back on the statement above when questioned.

:
2018 AWD GT Premium Red/Black
Ideally you would do as the manual says:

"Do not install the temporary spare tire on the front wheels (driving wheels): Driving with the temporary spare tire on one of the front driving wheels is dangerous. Handling will be affected. You could lose control of the vehicle, especially on ice or snow bound roads, and have an accident. Move a regular tire to the front wheel and install the temporary spare tire to the rear."

That said, I can appreciate wanting to get out of that situation quickly. In that case, having a spare that also fits on the front would have been ideal. I suspect that Mazda simply chose not to spend the extra money on a spare that accommodates the front brakes, and intends to fall back on the statement above when questioned.
In AWD all wheels are driving wheels.

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg. Plano, TX
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
Calculation aside, here's the spec of overall diameter from all OE tires used on Mazda CX-5 and supposed T155/90D18 spare for CX-5 AWD. Dunlop Space Miser T155/90D18 113M tire is the spare found in CX-7 AWD and 1st-gen CX-9 AWD. They're all within reasonable 0.4" tolerance on overall tire diameter.

Mazda CX-5 OE TiresSizeOverall Tire Diameter
Yokohama Geolandar G91A225/65R17 100H28.5"
Toyo A23225/55R19 99V28.9"
Yokohama Y870BT145/90D16 106MN/A (26.3" estimated)
Dunlop Space MiserT155/90D18 113M28.5"
I noticed by accident a 18X4 compact spare steel wheel which is supposed to have Dunlop Space Miser MKIII T155/90D18 103M tire from a 2015 Mazda CX-9 is available on LKQ North Texas website. I immediately located and verified the spare tire and model year, and placed an order. It costs $78 but I have to go and get it by myself. It’s at LKQ Kennedale which is 50 miles away from my house. But I’ve been wanting to have a correct-sized compact spare for my 2016 CX-5 AWD, so that I have no worries damaging my AWD system when I actually have to use it. Hence I decided to drive about 3 hours to get a spare from a newest possible Mazda vehicles for the size. I was a little disappointed when I picked it up as the spare had been used for unknown miles instead of “never been used” claimed by the salesman. It’s dirty apparently it’s been exposed to the elements for a while. The date code is “KATP2715” so it’s newer than the date code “ADT4614” on my current Yokohama Y870B T145/90D16 106M compact spare. Like tomcat1446 said earlier, the size difference is huge. And the 18X4 steel wheel with T155/90D18 103M compact tire is a perfect fit in the trunk for our CX-5.

2A3C47FA-3CA1-4272-BD84-2EEA46500D5D.jpeg

2690726D-F428-4D32-9B77-70B6A1699763.jpeg

EF3112A5-1B3B-4B58-91BC-4C703CDD2198.jpeg

32D1C7ED-E29E-41C9-8E2B-DB829C506FB7.jpeg

BC44D6C9-64F6-4E4F-8D1F-A76525FB22BB.jpeg

Last edited:
:
I thought my old CX9 (1st gen) had the spare mounted under the cargo area floor pan. So it would of been exposed to some dirt and road grime. Not sure if 2015 was different. Sorry, I no longer remember how it was hung (only needed it once in 11 yrs). The rust and cosmetic blems I see on your 18" might be caused by the hanger's friction. So it is entirely possible it has never been driven on.

:
2014 & 2019 CX-5 Touring(s)
Yeah - from your pic in the trunk, it looks like the tire mold sprues are still there. They'd be worn off pretty quickly if the tire was used on the road.

yrwei52

Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
I thought my old CX9 (1st gen) had the spare mounted under the cargo area floor pan. So it would of been exposed to some dirt and road grime. Not sure if 2015 was different. Sorry, I no longer remember how it was hung (only needed it once in 11 yrs). The rust and cosmetic blems I see on your 18" might be caused by the hanger's friction. So it is entirely possible it has never been driven on.
Good to know that the spare tire on gen-1 CX-9 is mounted under the floor pan. That explains why it’s so dirty. I washed it and waxed it and that’s how it looks right now in the pictures.

yrwei52

Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
Yeah - from your pic in the trunk, it looks like the tire mold sprues are still there. They'd be worn off pretty quickly if the tire was used on the road.
Yes the mold sprues are on the tread surface, but mostly are on the side tread, not on the center tread. Of course there’re scratches and rusts developed around 5 bolt holes of the steel wheel, that’s the hard evidence that this spare had been mounted and used as a road tire.

Nevertheless I’m very happy to get this correct-sized compact spare, and the tire itself is even newer than my original spare. Especially the current price for a new Dunlop Space Miser MKIII T155/90D18 113M is pretty high for $147.47 at the Tire Rack.