2017 GT - New Rear Brakes Soon

clownshoes2

2017 CX-5 GT No Tech - 2023 CX-30 GT NA
:
CX-5
So, the rear brakes are making noise and from the looks of the rotors I'm due for new rotors and pads. It's going in this Friday. I'm up in Canada so I had a few questions. What can I expect as a price for the rear brakes? It's going to the dealer so it will be more, but we have pretty good mechanics up here. Second, is there anything I should be telling them such as TSB's that are available or other things the mechanic might want to look for?

Thanks in advance.

How many miles/kms?
I'd be interested to follow your progress on this, as my car is also a 2017, in Canada, and my rear brakes look like crap already.
I'm only at 19,500 kms (about 12,000 miles), so I'm very disappointed in the condition of the rear brakes.
Keep us posted.
Thanks.

Well, it's going in Friday at 1:30PM so I will let you know.

I'll give you a bit of background. I have 51k kms on my truck right now. I had the 24k brake service done at 23kms. My brakes were making a terrible noise and they did the service under "warranty" or goodwill or whatever. No way I was paying when the car was just a baby. My rear brakes look like garbage. I think these vehicles need a brake service every year to maximize the life out of the brakes.

P.S. I'm in Ottawa too. It's going to Kanata Mazda.

I just rolled over 60,000 miles and the original pads are doing just fine. I don't abuse my brakes but and a daily driver just going with the traffic flow. Ed

Mazda.jpg

So, here is what I paid for new rear pads and rotors and an front brake service. Please save the comments about how I could have ordered the parts on rock auto and brought them to my local garage. Ain't nobody got time for that, I got bronchitis.

*edit note* My buddy who I've known for 23 years and literally work miracles did the job for me so I know the quality of work is good.

68k km here on Original rear brake pads and rotors in Canada,. Not to much life left 3-5mm at best,.Will need changing in the fall im going to assume.

What is the thickness when the pad is new? I thought it was only about 8mm.
No need to replace unless it is below 3mm, at which point it starts to make noises due to metal fragments in the pad start to grind against the rotors. That is my understanding. Dealers would always fool you into replacing the pads and rotors too early than necessary.

BTW, at SF Bay Area, replacing pads (rotors not included) per axle can cost from $221 to $500 depending on which dealers (Mazda) one goes to. It varies a lot.

Back