2017 cx9 cargo carriers

Goldbug

:
Mazda CX-9 2017
Cargo carriers 2017 cx-9
I'm currently looking for a rooftop cargo carrier. For those who have them, what do you have/does it work well. Does it impede the opening of the rear hatch?
I am looking at the Thule force xl, pulse xl, and ascent 1700(old model used).
If anyone with experience can comment, thanks!

Cargo carriers 2017 cx-9
I'm currently looking for a rooftop cargo carrier. For those who have them, what do you have/does it work well. Does it impede the opening of the rear hatch?
I am looking at the Thule force xl, pulse xl, and ascent 1700(old model used).
If anyone with experience can comment, thanks!

This post may belong in the CX-9 Accessory section, but I troll both forums.....

I have a Thule Force XL for my 2016 CX-9. I had the Mazda OEM crossbars installed and I think the package is the same on the 2017. The Thule Force XL is really a large topper and can carry a lot of extra cargo. It can be installed without interference to the rear hatch, but you will need to install it in almost the most forward position that it can be installed. The attachments move easily inside the unit so this is easy to do, but the unit is heavy. Installation is a 2 person job for sure, and it would be good if both persons are tall. Attachment to the OEM crossbars are a breeze with the screw knob tighteners around the crossbars. The Force XL opens on both sides, so loading with a step stool is easy to do to balance the load. I also installed the unit as far forward as I could as the clearance of the shark fin was more of a concern for me than rear hatch interference.

Here's a con - expect that your fuel mileage will diminish significantly with this unit. You will hear some wind noise with this installation that I was able to muffle some by closing the sunroof interior cover (the sunroof opening remained closed). I can't speak for the other units you are looking at, but this one is a real parachute on the top. I lost 3 to 4 MPG with this installed at highway speed - and there was additional wind noise.

It's a good looking topper, but if I could do this over again I would have gone with a smaller size. This unit's exterior measurement is 84 inches but you won't be able to store anything 84 inches inside of it - even when storing diagonally. 7 foot fishing poles will not fit.

Be careful not to scratch your car when installing the topper or any luggage. I've found this to be better for bulky items like strollers and camping gear.

www.mazdaswag.com has a good price on this unit, but I don't know what shipping will be for you.

I hope this helps! Good luck with your selection!!! I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have about the Force XL. ZoomZoom!

I have an old BMW-branded box from my last car that I use, but it's built by Thule and appears to be the same as the Force XL. I got the new Thule Aeroblade Edge crossbars, which cost a more than OEM but are super strong and look great. I haven't noticed quite as big of an MPG drop as AreDee for some reason. Not sure if maybe the Thule bars hold it lower or something. I haven't driven with the box on too much, probably around 300 miles or so, so maybe it was just something about the driving habits on that trip. With the box fully forward I had to reprogram the rear gate to not open all the way, but it's still easily accessible. The biggest issue for me is that the box won't quite fit through my garage door when it's mounted so I can't leave it on all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back