2017 CX-5 - Tail Lamp Assembly - GT

:
2017 CX5 AWD Touring
Can you swap out the tail lamp assembly on the hatch from a Touring to a GT?
The GT has the LED light while the Touring does not. Is it a plug & play swap? Both versions have the LED reverse lights but only the GT has the lit lighting at night.

I found part# KB8B-51-3F0C as the LED version.

I am looking for an answer to that same question. Anything to improve the taillights!
It seems logical that since we have power to the license plate lights in the hatch, it should be feasible to run a jumper wire to hatch tail lights - even if the wiring for the GT lights isn't in place. I don't know how to take off the trim for access, but it may be the only way to see what's what. There has to be a way to improve these lights.

Yeah but $250-300 just to replace those two light modules puts it way out there for me.

I'd like to see if you can open up the current assemblies and retrofit LED strips into them. More work but far cheaper. Better still I'd like to see someone else open them up first! :D

The OEM factory LED's are really nice looking. To modify the non-GT with aftermarket LEDs would be tacky and require a lot of work.

Has to be a way to install the GT version. They power up with the headlights/taillights. Plus the reverse lights which both GT and Touring already have.

Well, I bought the GT LED lift gate reverse tail lamps and should arrive next week. Around $200 for the pair, delivered. Will have to take apart the trim on the lift gate to access the tail lamps. If the Touring doesn't have the wiring for the GT LED's, then I will just simply tap into the license plate lighting to power up the LEDs. Since the license plate lighting turns on when you rotate the stalk for nighttime. This powers up the license plate lights and will power up the tail lamp LED's.

Ideally if the wiring is already there on the Touring, then it will just be plug & play.

Last edited:
Very good! I'm anxious to see how your project goes. Were the lights from the dealer or another source?

I looked online, but never found them as cheap as $200/pair. A link would be nice, and yes, please let us know how it goes - take lots of pics.

As for the supply, the circuit diagram shows that the exact same circuit (and fuse) feeds the outer parking lights, tailgate lights and the license plate lights. So you should be golden with your plan.

I bought it through RealMazdaParts.com

The right tail lamp was $120 and the left one was $60. I figure the right one provides the power and that's why it's more while the left one feeds off the right one. Both of course are the LED w/Signature lighting.

KB8B-51-3FOC
KB8B-51-3GOC

So it's $200 just for the inner taillights. While the top trim tails look better, I think a bulb upgrade will be enough for me. Will look forward to the finished product though, should look good. I am in the process of testing a pair of plug and play, 7443 replacements, will post the best one. The first one is error-free on my CX-5 and similar intensity to the standard bulb, but with instant illumination. Also replaced both front and rear turn signals with LED. The current brake lights I am trying are a red emitter emitting through the red lens, so it's more of a deep red than the red-orange of the standard bulb. This probably affects the output a bit, though. Next is a 6000k bulb, that should be brighter because of the design and LED placement. Will try those this week.

Last edited:
So it's $200 just for the inner taillights. While the top trim tails look better, I think a bulb upgrade will be enough for me. Will look forward to the finished product though, should look good. I am in the process of testing a pair of plug and play, 7443 replacements, will post the best one. The first one is error-free on my CX-5 and similar intensity to the standard bulb, but with instant illumination. Also replaced both front and rear turn signals with LED. The current one I am trying is a red emitter emitting through a red lens, so it's more of a true red than the red-orange of the standard bulb. Next is a 6000k bulb, that should be brighter because of the design and LED placement.

Which LEDs did you use for the turn signals? Did you need resistors to prevent hyperflash?

Which LEDs did you use for the turn signals? Did you need resistors to prevent hyperflash?

This is the one I used. They have built in resistors, no error codes. I like them, instant illumination and very bright, helps other cars see you when changing lanes or signaling. I do think it is better looking both in the headlight housing (no more yellow bulb sticking out) and while lit.

Last edited:
This is the one I used. They have built in resistors, no error codes. I like them, instant illumination and very bright, helps other cars see you when changing lanes or signaling. I do think it is better looking both in the headlight housing (no more yellow bulb sticking out) and while lit.
But those are 7440 bulbs! Means you don't have parking lights any more. You need 7444 (dual 'filament') bulbs in the front turn locations.

I used these which are 7443 switchback bulbs: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000024870253.html . They also have built-in load resistors BUT the load is still not enough to prevent hyperflashing (7443 bulbs are lower wattage than the correct 7444 bulbs) - I added load resistors to compensate.

However, I love the switchback effect and the bulbs are much brighter than the OEM filament ones.

Last edited:
Well, I bought the GT LED lift gate reverse tail lamps and should arrive next week. Around $200 for the pair, delivered. Will have to take apart the trim on the lift gate to access the tail lamps. If the Touring doesn't have the wiring for the GT LED's, then I will just simply tap into the license plate lighting to power up the LEDs. Since the license plate lighting turns on when you rotate the stalk for nighttime. This powers up the license plate lights and will power up the tail lamp LED's.

Ideally if the wiring is already there on the Touring, then it will just be plug & play.

You bought the outer portion of the taillight only right? Are you planning the inside where the reverse light is?

You bought the outer portion of the taillight only right? Are you planning the inside where the reverse light is?

Only the inner portion LEDs that go on the liftgate. These lights include the LED reverse lights, which the Touring has also. Main difference is that the lift gate lights will light up at night, which the Touring version does not do. They should arrive this Friday with install happening over the weekend.

The main outer brake light assembly was left alone, with the exception of swapping out the OEM bulb for a LED bulb, which made a big difference. It would be nice to swap out the assembly for the LEDs from the GT version but they are $240 per assembly or $480 for the set. Too pricey for me.

Here is the before and after for the OEM vs LED bulb swap -

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/ind...talled-led-brakelights.123863730/post-6575245

Last edited:
I actually prefer not to have the amber parking lights up front, and the signals are much brighter than the standard bulb. I'm happy with it.

I definitely understand the strategy. I think Mazda did a good job with the styling of the headlights/taillights and the vehicle overall. Looking forward to seeing what the final product looks like.

Only the inner portion LEDs that go on the liftgate. These lights include the LED reverse lights, which the Touring has also. Main difference is that the lift gate lights will light up at night, which the Touring version does not do. They should arrive this Friday with install happening over the weekend.

The main outer brake light assembly was left alone, with the exception of swapping out the OEM bulb for a LED bulb, which made a big difference. It would be nice to swap out the assembly for the LEDs from the GT version but they are $240 per assembly or $480 for the set. Too pricey for me.

Here is the before and after for the OEM vs LED bulb swap -

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/ind...talled-led-brakelights.123863730/post-6575245

Best of luck, I can't wait to see how it turns out I'd be tempted to do it if it's plug and play

Well, the parts came in early and I knocked it out today.

The good news is the Mazda OEM LED GT lights are plug & play with the Sport/Touring versions. The Sport & Touring (non lit) have the same plug but the Touring of course only powers the reverse lights. This shows how lame Mazda was. Everything is there but Mazda chose not to add a bulb and power up the red lights on the Touring and Sport models, just the GT and higher trims. Everything is identical and it is plug and play.

One has to remove the interior liftgate molding. The good news is that is it SUPER easy to do, took me 10 minutes. You need the correct plastic fork tool they sell on Amazon to remove these hidden fastener panels. https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

See website for removal info - Mazda Lift Gate Trim Removal Diagrams

Interior Trim.jpg

Now for the bad news. In order to access the lights, the exterior outside panels must be removed. Once again, you need the right tool. In addition, one must remove the metal nuts that holds the trim. Access is found on the inside of the liftgate (molding removed). It uses a 10mm socket, and one must remove ALL the nuts you find.

Exterior Trim.jpg

Popping the exterior molding is not for the faint of heart but go slow and use the right tool. As is the case with these hidden fastener plastic clips, they can break. I ended breaking 2 of them but a little quick-set JB Weld and in 10 minutes the broken clips were fixed and reinstalled.

The end result. Remember, I still have the OEM Touring brake lights, only modification to them was removing the incandescent bulb and replacing it with an LED bulb that is way brighter than the OEM incandescent bulb.

BEFORE

Before.jpg

AFTER

After.jpg

AFTER w/brakes applied

After 2.jpg

Last edited:
EXCELLENT info. Thanks!

I didn't realise the tailgate lights were dual intensity too.

Back