2017 CX5 Caliper Issue

I have a 2017 cx5 . I recently heard a rear grinding sound and the emergency parking brake light would come on intermittently. I took it to Mazda service and was told the right and left calipers were “frozen” and They had to be replaced along with the motor that operates it.

Does anyone know if this is covered under the Mazda Warranty.? I was told it was not by Mazda which doesn’t seem right to me. The car is still under warranty and has 34k miles on it and is less than 3 years old. I already replaced my front and rear brake pads and rotors. Has anyone had a similar issue? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

I have a 2017 cx5 . I recently heard a rear grinding sound and the emergency parking brake light would come on intermittently. I took it to Mazda service and was told the right and left calipers were “frozen” and They had to be replaced along with the motor that operates it.

Does anyone know if this is covered under the Mazda Warranty.? I was told it was not by Mazda which doesn’t seem right to me. The car is still under warranty and has 34k miles on it and is less than 3 years old. I already replaced my front and rear brake pads and rotors. Has anyone had a similar issue? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.
There’s a TSB for 2016 CX-5 on rear brake calipers which would cause dragging or locking-up with EPB and require replacement with revised calipers. If the manufacture date of your CX-5 is early 2017 MY, your rear disk calipers could be affected. The TSB shows a date code location on caliper which can be identified if it’s a revised version.

if your 2017 CX-5 is still having 3-year / 36,000-mile new car warranty, you have every right to get your rear disk calipers replaced under warranty for free. You can find another Mazda dealer, or contact Customer Experience Center, Mazda North American Operations complaining the problem you have.

I agree you should contact Mazda corporate customer service and submit your case. Rotors and pads would not be covered, but calipers are a grey area. The rear calipers had issues on the 2016 model year noted in the TSB. I think you have a very good chance of getting some of your repair covered by warranty especially if the rotors and pads were replaced by Mazda service. However, if rear pads and rotors were replaced by an independent shop or DIY then Mazda will push back. If the correct procedure is not followed when changing rear pads and rotors then the electronic parking brake mechanism can be damaged. Unfortunately it is possible that the rear caliper seized because they were damaged when the pads and rotors were replaced.

The car is still under warranty and has 34k miles on it and is less than 3 years old. I already replaced my front and rear brake pads and rotors.
Have to agree with davmac's comment.
Question then is, who replaced the rotors and pads?
Did you do this yourself?
If you or your mechanic did not follow the proper procedure by going into maintenance mode on the rear brakes, then you probably damaged the calipers.

Have to agree with davmac's comment.
Question then is, who replaced the rotors and pads?
Did you do this yourself?
If you or your mechanic did not follow the proper procedure by going into maintenance mode on the rear brakes, then you probably damaged the calipers.
Well, if whoever did the previous rear brake job didn’t follow the proper procedure to put the EPB in the Maintenance Mode and damaged the calipers, the EPB warning light and Brake warning light should be on or flashing right after the brake job.

Well, it would seem logical that there would/should be some sort of fault code or warning light generated in this case, but judging by everything I've read on this forum from other posters regarding bad calipers on the early gen II vehicles, that is not necessarily the case.
Maybe there are others here who have had rear caliper problems that can chime in regarding warning lights or fault codes being generated in this situation.

Back to my other question to the OP: Who did the original brake job (pads and rotors)?

Latest posts

Back