2017 CX5 better "overall machine" than previous generation

gen2 owners are right there flabbergasted how anyone could still like their current gen cx5 over the new one

This is just getting stupid now. Show me where someone was... and I'm quoting you here... "flabbergasted" that someone likes a previous gen over the current one.

Last edited:
'17 cx-5 owners will undoubtedly be defensive about the new purchases they made. Mango is being perfectly reasonable and presents valid arguments, but you guys just shoot him down because it's not what you want to hear.

I have a 16.5, and while I have my complaints, I still enjoy the car. My first car and Mazda was a 2004 Mazda 3S and I loved it. At this rate though, Honda > Mazda in any category. Sales, safety, tech, model vs model, options, etc. Mazda has always been trying to embrace zoom-zoom and what do they do with their most important model? Simply re-design the CX-5 and give it more creature comforts (AND make it less safe?!). Even if I got a good deal on my trade, I wouldn't upgrade to the new gen.

And since so many of you seem to be performance-oriented, just compare the new Civic with the newest Mazda3. Civic gives an awesome SI option AND Type R? Mazda is losing to Honda at its own game.

I test drove the new 2017 CX-5 GT and I must say I am very impressed and love the new interior!

'17 cx-5 owners will undoubtedly be defensive about the new purchases they made. Mango is being perfectly reasonable and presents valid arguments, but you guys just shoot him down because it's not what you want to hear.

I have a 16.5, and while I have my complaints, I still enjoy the car. My first car and Mazda was a 2004 Mazda 3S and I loved it. At this rate though, Honda > Mazda in any category. Sales, safety, tech, model vs model, options, etc. Mazda has always been trying to embrace zoom-zoom and what do they do with their most important model? Simply re-design the CX-5 and give it more creature comforts (AND make it less safe?!). Even if I got a good deal on my trade, I wouldn't upgrade to the new gen.

And since so many of you seem to be performance-oriented, just compare the new Civic with the newest Mazda3. Civic gives an awesome SI option AND Type R? Mazda is losing to Honda at its own game.
It's not that we're defensive. It's that if we went to a Samsung forum we'd be there wanting to read about Samsung, and not LG. Like you and most of us here I'm happy with my purchase. I'm biased towards Mazda I guess, and like the MT article states, it's not the numbers, it's the intangibles that Mazda excels in. So yes let's all agree that Honda is superior on paper. But on the road (where these things live) I decided that this slow car that doesn't have lit window buttons was better than an Acura that costs a lot more. *Drops mic, exits stage right*

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

I just cross shopped the CR-V and CX-5 last week and it was a very close call.
CX-5 won out because it was cheaper and insurance was cheaper by quite a bit as well (+22/6mo vs +147/6mo)

CR-V had really nice things as well but ultimately for MY criteria the CX-5 check off more boxes than the CR-V.

IF the CR-V would have been exactly same price then I actually might have swerved to the CR-V. Nothing fundamentally wrong with either car.

You are not one among us. But you are welcome if you stay in cx-9 section.

It's irrelevant that Mazda doesn't have a premium brand - the direct competition to the CX-5 is a CR-V. All of those luxury cars would have blown the doors off the CR-V. We both know it. Mazda is reaching for "aspirational" buyers - a segment that Honda has no hopes of reaching with the CR-V both on perception and merit.

Blow the doors off? LOL according to many users on this forum, it isn't even better than the previous generation CX-5. And Mazda is reaching for 'aspirational' buyers? Are they Ferrari now or something? LOL they don't care if you're a CEO of a Fortune 500 company or flip burgers at Hardees, if you have the cash they will sell you a car. They're no different than any other major auto company. How bout you guys stop sugarcoating your arguments by using words like 'aspirational' or 'emotional'? It holds no weight.

What's funny is I don't even bring up the CRV anymore, it's usually other CX-5 owners who constantly bring it up in threads. Look who brought up the CRV first in this thread. The reason people keep bringing it up, is because people are thinking of buying one, or people think it's some kind of 'threat' to the CX-5. Of course if it was an inferior vehicle like lets say the Mitsubishi Outlander, no one would care about it but people here are seeing it as the 'benchmark' in this category since it checks off lots of boxes in terms of features/practicality. When it is mentioned, I add my opinion to the conversation as I own a CRV and have driven the CX-5.

Last edited:
Anytime someone drops a CRV turd, Mango the fly shows up.

He has some good points, I'll give him that, but repeats himself ad nauseum to the point of irritability.

Not surprising a lot of folks have him on their ignore list.

I don't think the point is whether the '17 CX-5 is a better car than the previous generation. I don't think Mazda expects any loyalists to run out and trade in their 2016.5 models. The point is that Mazda is trying to cast a broader net by providing a car that looks and feels more premium and attracts buyers that may not have considered Mazda. I am one of those buyers. I didn't consider the Rav-4 or a CR-V (even though I leased an Accord for my cousin) because I don't equate those with "premium" at all. If I want to corner carve and stoplight race I can drive my A4. The '17 CX-5 is a nice, quiet, well-finished vehicle that can get out of its own way, handles well and provides cargo utility. And yes, sometimes I prefer driving it and leaving the A4 in the garage. That's what is important for me.

Let the debate rage on.

Last edited:
So, how do I go about ignoring MANGO CON MIERDA?

Blow the doors off? LOL according to many users on this forum, it isn't even better than the previous generation CX-5. And Mazda is reaching for 'aspirational' buyers? Are they Ferrari now or something? LOL they don't care if you're a CEO of a Fortune 500 company or flip burgers at Hardees, if you have the cash they will sell you a car. They're no different than any other major auto company. How bout you guys stop sugarcoating your arguments by using words like 'aspirational' or 'emotional'? It holds no weight.

What's funny is I don't even bring up the CRV anymore, it's usually other CX-5 owners who constantly bring it up in threads. Look who brought up the CRV first in this thread. The reason people keep bringing it up, is because people are thinking of buying one, or people think it's some kind of 'threat' to the CX-5. Of course if it was an inferior vehicle like lets say the Mitsubishi Outlander, no one would care about it but people here are seeing it as the 'benchmark' in this category since it checks off lots of boxes in terms of features/practicality. When it is mentioned, I add my opinion to the conversation as I own a CRV and have driven the CX-5.

So, how do I go about ignoring MANGO CON MIERDA?

You just go into "Settings" and put him on your "Ignore" list. I've done that with him and another member (you listening, Unobtanium?) and it has made these threads a lot shorter and much more interesting.

Last edited:
You just go into "Settings" and put him on your "Ignore" list. I've done that with him and another member and it has made these threads a lot shorter... and much more interesting.

Only pitfall is when others then quote the ignored party. But I imagine it works well enuff.

You just go into "Settings" and put him on your "Ignore" list.

I didn't know this could be done. Thanks for the tip.

All I can say about the new CX-5 is that Mazda has created a product that is greater than the sum of it's improvements over the previous gen and we are absolutely pleased with our purchase.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: The last gen was so good that Mazda had to be very careful to improve upon it's strong points without ruining a good thing.

Nearly any auto review out there will say that overall it's either at or very near the top of its class and that Mazda's done good on this new model. It's mighty tough to argue with that kind of reception in the industry. That doesn't mean it isn't faultless, but no car is perfect in all ways to everyone - if that were the case there would be no competition and without competition there wouldn't be much improvement.

Better is a relative term. I can see why everything you listed will make the 2017 CX-5 a better car for most people. But for me to be better it would have to be more fun to drive, and get better mileage. I have not driven the the new CX-5, but without having a manual transmission it just would not be as fun to drive for me. And now that I moved from Texas to Oregon, its even better. I can now take advantage of the mountain twisty roads, that are actually smooth.

For the 2017 CX-5 to be better for me.
1. Get the manual transmission back
2. Get at least the same milage in a gas engine. Mine is rated at 35mpg highway, which I exceed.

Problem is that is has a whole bunch of tech now - SCBS, MRCC, etc. I don't think much of this would work well with a manual trans?

Either way I don't miss manual (almost all my cars lately have been up until now). As I get older, practicality has become more important, especially for a car that is a daily driver (coming from a 6sp MINI R53 and 5sp mx-5 NB)

Last edited:
I didn't know this could be done. Thanks for the tip.

All I can say about the new CX-5 is that Mazda has created a product that is greater than the sum of it's improvements over the previous gen and we are absolutely pleased with our purchase.

And that is the point. If you are happy with it, then no other persons comments really matters :)

I test drove the new 2017 CX-5 GT and I must say I am very impressed and love the new interior!

I was at the dealer to have new front brakes and rotors put on our 2014 and I finally got to sit in both 2017's on their floor. A previous poster mentioned passenger dash separation just below the chrome strip so that was the first thing I checked out. Both models had this issue, model one was bowed and you could see the warp between the chrome strip and the dash. Model two physically had a gap. Also the chrome strip is not mounted securely, a slight push and it flexes in easily. I hope this is just an early production problem as the interior was very nice except for the extra wide center console that intrudes on your right knee?

I was at the dealer to have new front brakes and rotors put on our 2014 and I finally got to sit in both 2017's on their floor. A previous poster mentioned passenger dash separation just below the chrome strip so that was the first thing I checked out. Both models had this issue, model one was bowed and you could see the warp between the chrome strip and the dash. Model two physically had a gap. Also the chrome strip is not mounted securely, a slight push and it flexes in easily. I hope this is just an early production problem as the interior was very nice except for the extra wide center console that intrudes on your right knee?
I paid close attention to the console touching my left knee (right hand drive here). I don't use the dead pedal since I stretch my leg all the way and I noticed that the gap between the console and my knee is less than what it is in my Mazda 6 but it is ok. I moved the seat futher back since I am 6'2 (188cm) and noticed that the further back the seat is, the further the console is away form my left knee. This is due to the console shape becoming less protruding the further back one sits.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

To clarify things, the thread title is about the 2017 CX5 compared to the old generation CX5. Sir Mango, I read your posts and you seemed objective however your topic about comparing CX5 to CRV I think deserves another thread. No disrespect sir, as others have mentioned, this is a Mazda forum so you also need to expect "bashers and haters". Here in the Philippines, we have this saying, "walang basagan ng trip". I don't know to to translate that in English however I can translate it word per word.

Walang = usually means none or in the phrase's usage, it means don't.

Basagan = the continuous act of breaking

Ng = Of

Trip = used also as trippin etc.

Sent from my ASUS_Z012D using Tapatalk

'17 cx-5 owners will undoubtedly be defensive about the new purchases they made.

If you think that, then you'll also have to believe the inverse "<'17 cx-5 owners will undoubtedly be defensive about their older model" ;)

Back