2017 CX5 better "overall machine" than previous generation

bigtex

:
17 CX-5 GT 14 CX-5 GT (sold)
Holy s***. I've been out of country for a couple of weeks and thought that surely this '16 vs '17 would have gone away by now.

I owned a gen 1 CX5 and put 100,000 miles on it. I do a lot of long miles, 2-3 days a week and put about 30-35K per year on a car. I tow a trailer often. I wanted the ground clearance because I was tired of hitting crap on the highways.
I loved my previous CX-5. But I have now put about 5K on my 2017 and can tell you it is a much better "overall machine" than the gen 1.
Here are the reasons why for me based on lots of miles, not just test drives, ranked in order of importance to me, and some that are just nice to have and may be more important to you. These are just improvements. There is plenty to love about the CX5 the way that it was.

1. WAY LESS WIND AND ROAD NOISE AT SPEED. This cannot be overstated. My old CX5 would physically wear me out with the noise after several hours of driving. This is the most important improvement to me, but I spend a lot of time at 75-80 mph.
2. The HUD. Everything you need displayed. Speed limit, current speed, nav instructions. My old nav was frequently wrong on speed limits, but with traffic sign recognition, the HUD updates based on what the actual signs you are passing show.
3. Ride is much more compliant/smoother over bumps. I find myself expecting a bump/pothole to be jarring because of all the miles in my gen 1, but am pleasantly surprised when the '17 absorbs it perfectly.
4. Radar adaptive cruise to stop. Very cool. 2016 may have this I'm not sure.
5. Steering is "heavier" and I like that. Audi like, but not Audi.
6. Much more upscale interior. If you spend a lot of time in your car, nicer is better. No cheap plastics everywhere. Again, Audi like, but not Audi is best description for me.
7. Power rear hatch. Never thought I would like this, but it is nice to have.
8. Memory driver's seat. Again, just nice to have after wife drives the car.
9. Plenty of 12V power options. Front cubby, center console, 2 USB in front, 2 USB in rear. 2016 may be like this, but not my 2014.
10. Improved stereo. Not "holy s***" improvement, but definitely better.
11. Auto on/off highbeams
12. Power passenger seat.
13. Rear AC vents
14. Reclining rear seats. Gen 1 is fixed at 22 degrees. 2017 starts at 24 and reclines to 28.
15. Heated rear seats.
16. One touch close sunroof.
17. Back doors open wider.
18. Heated steering wheel.
19. Wiper deicer.

Probably more, but that is all I can think of right now.
Looks or trips to the dragstrip may be a deciding factor for some and that is understandable, but I have actually owned both and can tell you that personally, I would be more than a little depressed if I knew I had to go back to my gen 1 for the 900 miles I have in front of me next week.

My neighbor bought a new 17 CRV. He removed all the chrome and sold it for scrap - got nearly 10,000 US DOLLARS.
This week he is taking all the wood out and selling to Ikea. His resale on the CRV will be higher than his purchase price.
CRV Wins hands down.

Holy s***. I've been out of country for a couple of weeks and thought that surely this '16 vs '17 would have gone away by now.

10. Improved stereo. Not "holy s***" improvement, but definitely better.
Yeah, the debate is still going, and now the disappointing NHTSA Safety Ratings on 2017 CX-5 just came out ⋯

I'm not sure about the improvement on 2017 Bose system now. I went to my Mazda dealer on the other day to compare the Bose system in 2017 CX-5 to my 2016 CX-5's. I used the same song from memory stick in MP3 format in 2017 Bose with the same sound system setups. I would prefer to use a CD with better sound quality for comparison but couldn't. I found the high notes from 2017 Bose do improve with 2 new A-pillar real tweeters; but the bass from spare-tire sub-woofer sounded not much better and felt a little strange due to the placement at far rear IMO. The worst part is the 2017 Bose sounded different in a way that all instruments and vocals seem muddy and mixed together, it has no clarity like my 2016's from the same song. I'm a little disappointed as I didn't like the result of sound quality comparison from 2017 Bose other than the better high notes.

Of course the heated steering wheel and rear seats are not very useful in Texas ⋯ :)

My neighbor bought a new 17 CRV. He removed all the chrome and sold it for scrap - got nearly 10,000 US DOLLARS.
This week he is taking all the wood out and selling to Ikea. His resale on the CRV will be higher than his purchase price.
CRV Wins hands down.

Man, how did I not think of that! Imma have to go out and get me one this weekend...Can't wait!

Yeah, the debate is still going, and now the disappointing NHTSA Safety Ratings on 2017 CX-5 just came out ⋯

I'm not sure about the improvement on 2017 Bose system now. I went to my Mazda dealer on the other day to compare the Bose system in 2017 CX-5 to my 2016 CX-5's. I used the same song from memory stick in MP3 format in 2017 Bose with the same sound system setups. I would prefer to use a CD with better sound quality for comparison but couldn't. I found the high notes from 2017 Bose do improve with 2 new A-pillar real tweeters; but the bass from spare-tire sub-woofer sounded not much better and felt a little strange due to the placement at far rear IMO. The worst part is the 2017 Bose sounded different in a way that all instruments and vocals seem muddy and mixed together, it has no clarity like my 2016's from the same song. I'm a little disappointed as I didn't like the result of sound quality comparison from 2017 Bose other than the better high notes.

Of course the heated steering wheel and rear seats are not very useful in Texas ⋯ :)

To be fair, all speakers need time to break in. Mine definitely sound better after a month of use.

Haha, loving the snark of the thread.

The 2nd gen CX-5 is arguably a better "overall machine" than the 1st gen. The problem is, the CR-V (and some competitors) has always been a better "overall machine" than the CX-5, and still is.

The 2nd gen CX-5 is arguably a better "overall machine" than the 1st gen. The problem is, the CR-V (and some competitors) has always been a better "overall machine" than the CX-5, and still is.

I don't necessarily disagree with you. I was just comparing the CX5 to the CX5. Never owned a Honda or any other Japanese car before the CX5, which hasn't been around all that long by the way.

From someone who came from a CR-V, that is your opinion and not one that I share. Man, the people on this forum...

Last edited:

#yourtwocents

I was comparing the Audi A4, Acura TLX, Infinity Q50, and Cadillac ATS. The CX5 won. There's no way a CRV or RAV 4 could hang with the cars I was originally comparing.

Have you actually driven a pre-2017 CR-V? Or is this just the hater circlejerk again.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

From someone who came from a CR-V, that is your opinion and not one that I share. Man, the people on this forum...

Come on; don't be so sensitive. Everyone can have their own opinions.

And Lansdale! I also live in Montgomery County, PA. Chill with the hate.

Have you actually driven a pre-2017 CR-V? Or is this just the hater circlejerk again.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

haha, come on. you need to chill. my cousin has a pre-2017 cr-v and yes, i was considering it with the 1st gen CX-5. just look at the list that OP provided. He's basing his opinion on things like power lift gate and rear vents, features that other CUVs have had for years.

haha, come on. you need to chill. my cousin has a pre-2017 cr-v and yes, i was considering it with the 1st gen CX-5. just look at the list that OP provided. He's basing his opinion on things like power lift gate and rear vents, features that other CUVs have had for years.

Those items were #7 and # 13 out of 18 ranked improvements I mentioned of importance to me on the new CX5 vs previous CX5. They may be more important to others.
I could care less about the CRV as it never crosses my mind, but I can tell you I never get envious when passing one on the interstate.

Comments below, but how is the center console. It's larger in the 2017 and I didn't notice it while driving but did while I was sitting in it. It's one of my concerns for a long drive.

1. WAY LESS WIND AND ROAD NOISE AT SPEED. This cannot be overstated. My old CX5 would physically wear me out with the noise after several hours of driving. This is the most important improvement to me, but I spend a lot of time at 75-80 mph.

If you drive the 2015 around the city, sit at a stop light, it's almost hybrid like at times. Get it on the freeway, and JEEZUZ H..... I think a lot of people who drive the CR-V and say it's quiet aren't driving it on the freeway, or especially bad freeway like I have to do. I've only done limited freeway tests on the 2017 but it's no contest between it and the CR-V, the CX-5 is much quieter.

2. The HUD. Everything you need displayed. Speed limit, current speed, nav instructions. My old nav was frequently wrong on speed limits, but with traffic sign recognition, the HUD updates based on what the actual signs you are passing show.

I haven't driven one with the HUD, which I think is probably good, but the problem is it's an $1,800 feature because it's the only thing I'd want on the package. And I always wear sunglasses.

3. Ride is much more compliant/smoother over bumps. I find myself expecting a bump/pothole to be jarring because of all the miles in my gen 1, but am pleasantly surprised when the '17 absorbs it perfectly.

This is the biggest killer of the 2015, worse than road noise in my opinion. Everything hits you, no absorption at all.

5. Steering is "heavier" and I like that. Audi like, but not Audi.

I noticed this on the test drives. It's really accurate, no mush, but the car drives heavier.

6. Much more upscale interior. If you spend a lot of time in your car, nicer is better. No cheap plastics everywhere. Again, Audi like, but not Audi is best description for me.
8. Memory driver's seat. Again, just nice to have after wife drives the car.

The seats are more comfortable too. The 2015 can dig into you.

Those items were #7 and # 13 out of 18 ranked improvements I mentioned of importance to me on the new CX5 vs previous CX5. They may be more important to others.
I could care less about the CRV as it never crosses my mind, but I can tell you I never get envious when passing one on the interstate.

That's cool, and i agree with your overall sentiment relating to the new gen CX-5 being an upgrade over the 1st gen. Also, the other thread that you based your title - no one said anything about the 2nd gen not being a better "overall machine."

I haven't driven one with the HUD, which I think is probably good, but the problem is it's an $1,800 feature because it's the only thing I'd want on the package. And I always wear sunglasses.

The HUD is totally visible on bright, sunny days while wearing sunglasses. No issue there.

Comments below, but how is the center console. It's larger in the 2017 and I didn't notice it while driving but did while I was sitting in it. It's one of my concerns for a long drive.

Honestly, that is one of the complaints I would have on the '17. The center console is set too far back. I had a Passat where the center console lid would slide forward to allow a comfortable lean on long drives and it was great. Wish that was offered. Cup holders are also farther back than I remember in my '14 and makes grabbing the coffee mug somewhat awkward. But these are small issues that I'm sure I will get used to.

I'm chilled. I don't know why you always say that when I say something that disagrees with your blanket statements.

Based on that criteria, once again, your mileage may vary. I don't ever really carry anyone in the back so couldn't care less about rear vents. Better to you is not better to me. Also pre-2017 CR-V does actually feel like driving a grandma mobile boat and smiling is not part of the equation.

So better for you is not better for me.

100% agree. And it's nice to see some people finally coming to their senses and seeing the CX-5 for what it is, a mild update over the previous generation. The fact that there are multiple people(current CX-5 owners) in multiple threads debating which generation is better(1st vs 2nd generation) is proof of that. I've seen quite a few people on this forum over the last week(Mazda owners) hint the CRV might be the better vehicle. You won't find CRV owners at the Honda forums saying the CX-5 is better at all.

Of course with the CRV, there is NO DEBATE whatsoever which generation is better(previous vs current). The new CRV is a SUBSTANTIAL upgrade over the previous generation. Like I said a few weeks ago here, you feel like your getting your money's worth with everything that has been upgraded from cargo space, fuel economy, new platform, new transmission, new turbo engine, CarPlay/AA etc...it's a terrific vehicle that excels in things that people who buy these budget CUV's are about like cargo space, fuel economy, CarPlay/AA, residual value and reliability. Iv'e already put nearly 10k miles on mine since Febuary. Hoping it will last me 250-300k mileage like many other CRVs from the late 90s that are still on the roads today.

Last edited:
Back