2017~2024 2017 CX-5 roof gloss black vynal

MasonOTA

:
Mazda CX-5
I posted this photo on another thread, however unless you stumble across it others will not see it. I wanted to officially post it as a new thread because I'm sure others are wondering about it as well. I always loved the gloss black roof on vehicles since I had my panoramic rod on my optima SX. Since we don't have it as an option for the cx-5, I wanted to "mimic" the streamline look of the sunroof blending into the roof. I really like it. I feel confident I could have done it myself but a local auto shop offered to complete it for 200 cash. It took about 2 hrs to install and came with a 2 year warranty. For the measurements of this SUV, the product alone would have costed around 60.00. The tucked in all the edges under the glass gaskets around the windshield and under the plastic. They removed the shark fin antenna and completed that piece separately. They said it will last around 5-7 years and peel right off. So far from parking in the sun at work and in the garage at night, and multiple hand car washed, it's holding up good. No problems. What do you guys think? I'm looking to do tasteful reversible mods that do not hurt the warranty and extended warranty I purchased.
cee3a5939bebdee4c0fb405bc796c087.jpg
9ca4f49c2e1264da4e1682ba5ae78446.jpg
cabf1131ae65f627f86e22a75830d8a7.jpg
eb57b2dd4ec84f92b1281ffc1716eb7b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting look; I have seen it on other cars as well. Not my thing, but if you like it, that's all that matters!

Did you consider wrapping the rear spoiler (top of the lift gate) also? For a continuous black from front windshield to back? But maybe the lines aren't quite right for that effect.

+1 that looks awesome, I love it,

hmmm... noticed Mazda added a design element for the trunk hinges "humps" ? previous model was flat.....

I like your foglight detail, reminds me of Kylo Ren's mask LOL, your CX-5 seems more like a Stormtrooper version than the Nissan Rogue that was heavily advertised when the Star Wars movie came out LOL

like clads01 suggested, what if this white section (red arrows) was black ? thoughts ? the side profile would look slick I bet.... the black roof would match the side plastic aero panels....

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great comments[emoji1303]. I did consider during the install to have the curved section on the back done as well, however I thought if I did have it done, it would make the remaining curve of white look too much like a spoiler which I didn't want. I'm sure it would look nice that way to but I guess it's just personal preference.

Looks great. I didn't think I would like it based on the description, but I loved it when I saw the pics.
I asked someone why Mazda didn't offer a panoramic sunroof and the simple answer was it adds too much weight.

Thanks for all the great comments[emoji1303]. I did consider during the install to have the curved section on the back done as well, however I thought if I did have it done, it would make the remaining curve of white look too much like a spoiler which I didn't want. I'm sure it would look nice that way to but I guess it's just personal preference.

Plastidip it first.

Sent from my ASUS_Z012D using Tapatalk

I like fog light detail as well. Could you tell me what and how do you do it?

Attachments

• kylo_ren.jpg
    kylo_ren.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 204
I like it, I wrapped the top of my Miata to protect the paint from the Florida sun a couple of years ago. Well worth the investment.

Got the whole top of mine wrapped and down the sides. It was a rainy day but took a pic before I took it home.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5,363
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,472
Back