2017 CX-5 GT Pro's and Problems vs 2014

SCBS F/R. Always curious how does the SCBS Rear work if you're towing something since we don't get SCBS Rear here in the US.

My guess is the software takes into account having the trailer behind. It should be noted that on my 6, it works at speeds of 2-8km/h

One less thing!

I figured out where the rattle was coming from so I dont have to make a trip back to the dealership. It was the glasses in the sun glass case under the rear view mirror. Grrrr I would have really felt like a fool if I had of taken it back to the dealer for that.

Now I just need to figure out whats wrong with the XM reception then all will be right with the world. Think Im going to have XM refresh the signal today to see if that helps.

Your auto-braking situation is Smart Brake Support (SBS) at work. But SBS, which uses the same radar device of MRCC, is working with DRSS that visually displays the distance to the vehicle ahead and FOW that warns the driver of a risk of collision with the car ahead by alarm and a warning light. So you may have all 3 functions working together but Mazda usually only mentions SBS as a feature in its sales material.

Hi yrwei52,
Im going through the manual but cant seem to find if it will ultimately apply breaks if I dont respond to all the in your face warnings? Really love this feature. Sometimes I let my girlfriend drive my car and shes a maniac.

well I know for a fact the CX-5 will brake for me suddenly because I was closing in too fast on a car that was turning away from the street.
It was the anti-lock braking type of stopping (short pulsed. Kinda like a 1/4 second burp of a GAU-8). Scared the hell out of me because it's quite noisy.

Wonder if it can be tested with by hanging a sheet with some aluminum foil in the center and driving thru it.

well I know for a fact the CX-5 will brake for me suddenly because I was closing in too fast on a car that was turning away from the street.
It was the anti-lock braking type of stopping (short pulsed. Kinda like a 1/4 second burp of a GAU-8). Scared the hell out of me because it's quite noisy.

Wonder if it can be tested with by hanging a sheet with some aluminum foil in the center and driving thru it.

This is great 2 know because seriously my GF drives like maniac. Old lady with a death wish. I thought about cardboard box but dont think its a true test because the car doesnt have to work out how fast the box in front of you is moving.

I am seriously jazzed about the tech and safety features on 2017 cx-5. Never thought I would live to see the day. On scale 1-10 I give this CUV a 12.

Does anyone know why torque peaks at a higher RPM for AWD on '17 vs previous?

They did tweak the engine a bit on the '17. Cut back part of the piston, and supposedly tuned it to rev quicker. Maybe this is a byproduct of that. I think the AWD has a higher final drive ratio (lower gearing) than the FWD, IIRC.

Last edited:
2017 CX-5 GT Pro's and Problems vs 2014

Hi yrwei52,
Im going through the manual but cant seem to find if it will ultimately apply breaks if I dont respond to all the in your face warnings? Really love this feature. Sometimes I let my girlfriend drive my car and shes a maniac.
You have SBS and it'll brake for you eventually after all the warnings. But SBS can't detect all objects such as pedestrians. Of course if your MRCC is on it'll brake for you too.

Mazda Pre-Crash Safety Technology - SCBS and SBS

⋯ I figured out where the rattle was coming from so I dont have to make a trip back to the dealership. It was the glasses in the sun glass case under the rear view mirror. Grrrr I would have really felt like a fool if I had of taken it back to the dealer for that.
Wife once was complaining about the rattling from dash area. A couple of days later she found she forgot to sit the sun visor properly into the clip! :)

I'm loving my 2017 CX5 though I have few minor complaints though coming from 2014 CX5 owner.

1. The fan and temp controls are positioned way below in my opinion.
2. USB ports at the back looks like an afterthought feature.
3. No tie down hook (i heard this was taken out since 2016)
4. Nothing to get excited about audio display - just pure text of the artist and songs and sometimes (or most of the times) titles are cut off. They should have added an album cover (
5. Favorites is also not well thought out interface

I think I might have seen a tie down hook in a clip online. Could be country specific

I'm loving my 2017 CX5 though I have few minor complaints though coming from 2014 CX5 owner.

4. Nothing to get excited about audio display - just pure text of the artist and songs and sometimes (or most of the times) titles are cut off. They should have added an album cover (
5. Favorites is also not well thought out interface

Not that it will fix everything, but you can update Gracenote with a usb drive, that might find a match for album art a little more frequently. Yes deleting favorites was about the most unintuitive thing I've ever experienced.

Back