Guide 2017 CX-5 DIY Cabin Air Filter Replacement and Location

:
2017 Mazda CX-5
I replace the cabin air filter in any used car I purchase. It eliminates most previous owners smells. Here is the Wix cabin air filter replacement, and how to lower the glove box to install the new filter on a 2017 CX-5. The install took about 5 minutes.

Wix Cabin Filter PN: 24103

2017 CX-5 Wix Cabin Air Filter Replacement.jpg

Pull out glove box plunger rod.

2017 CX-5 Cabin Air Filter Repalcement_Pull out plunger rod.jpg

Push in glove box tabs and drop the glove box.

2017 CX-5 Cabin Air Filter Repalcement_Push in on glove box tabs.jpg

Cabin air filter location pull old one out.

2017 CX-5 Cabin Air Filter Replacement Location.jpg

Re-installing the the glove box push in on both sides of the glove box so that the tabs click back in and snap in the glove box plunger rod...Done!

I remember having to replace my 04 Grand Prix filter (was in the engine bay) and it had 36 clips/screws. Just awful. It was a company car, so I never did it a second time. I let the dealer do it.

I remember having to replace my 04 Grand Prix filter (was in the engine bay) and it had 36 clips/screws. Just awful. It was a company car, so I never did it a second time. I let the dealer do it.
I get where you're coming from some CAF locations are a PETA!

Just replaced my original OEM Filter with the Wix one. Maybe 1:45min? Finally hit 12k miles.
3048BD78-BF56-4179-A911-C4D032B8C5B5.jpeg

View attachment 301363

The wix one appears to be better quality.
Keep in mind that the factory cabin air filter looks darker is because it’s a charcoal filter, even though both OEM cabin air filters, standard or value, sold in US Mazda dealers are NOT charcoal filter.

4AB2EBB5-E68C-4263-A927-63F8CAE66EDE.jpeg

The official maintenance schedule for cabin air filter by Mazda is 30,000 miles or 2 years on Schedule 1, and 25,000 miles or 2 years on Schedule 2 (severe driving conditions) based on my 2016 CX-5 owner’s manual.

However, it’s 15,000 miles or 2 years on Schedule 1, and 30,000 miles or 2 years on Schedule 2 (severe driving conditions) based on CX-5’s owner’s manual since 2018! :rolleyes:

I get where you're coming from some CAF locations are a PETA!
My 1998 Honda CR-V is also terrible to replace the cabin air filter. Too many metal frames blocking the access and it’s a 35-minute job at least for me!

Honestly, I believe most newer vehicles have easy access to replace the CAF, although the CAF on my 2000 BMW 528i and previous 2001.5 VW Passat 5-speed GLX are even easier to replace than my CX-5. Both have CAF located in the engine bay.

My BMW has twin CAF’s and each has the size 2 times bigger and thicker than CX-5’s. The factory CAF’s are still there for 21 years but the air flow is still great. The OEM CAF spares have been sitting on the shelf for almost 20 years now as I really don’t feel the need to replace them other than just take them out and clean the leaves occasionally. ;)

CX-5 is the easiest of vehicles for me to change cabin filter on. I could probably do it blindfolded. Takes all of but a minute or less.

My GX 460 is pretty easy but it has a door at the back of the glove box you have to remove and then another cover over the filter. Not hard but extra steps.

Past '02 Maxima and current '07 G35x... PIA.. entire glovebox assembly, screws, detaching an airbag connector attached to the glove box.. and at least 30 minutes of my time.

IMO... "NEVER" pay someone to replace your CX-5 cabin air filter. Even if you don't do anything else mechanically... You can easily do this!!!

Back