2017 CX-5 Bose Subwoofer Replacement

Has anyone replaced the factory Bose speaker with something better? I find the system lacks in a few ways and one of them is bass. I was thinking of replacing the factory subwoofer with jbl basspro hub.

To do this, would there be more involved steps outside of power, ground, and splicing into bass signal wires?

V
2019 CX-5 GTR
Interesting approach. I mean seems like you got it covered if it fits in the spare tire.

Im guessing the highlevel signal would come from the plug connecting the Bose factory sub.

DO IT ! and report back.

options:

JBL Basspro hub:

Vega 12" Powered Active Subwoofer, Spare Tire Application

Rockville RockGhost Hidden Powered 8" Car Subwoofer (looks like a JBL clone)

Pioneer TS-WX610A Space-Saving Double 10 inch Amplified Subwoofer

CDT Audio SUB-15H 15" 380W Peak Spare Wheel Active Subwoofer

Last edited:
V
Mazda, CX-5 Signature
Has anyone replaced the factory Bose speaker with something better? I find the system lacks in a few ways and one of them is bass. I was thinking of replacing the factory subwoofer with jbl basspro hub.

To do this, would there be more involved steps outside of power, ground, and splicing into bass signal wires?
From what I was reading that is all you need to do is run a power, ground and unplug the bass input from the bose and wire it into the jbl bass pro line level input. I was thinking of doing the same thing later this summer.

V
2019 CX-5 Sig AWD
From what I was reading that is all you need to do is run a power, ground and unplug the bass input from the bose and wire it into the jbl bass pro line level input. I was thinking of doing the same thing later this summer.
That's a decent route to go. I used the AudioControl LC2i to clean up the bass signal before sending it to the sub in my Mazda3. That was a pretty decent setup and a huge improvement over stock. If you like music with deep musical bass, the bose systems tend to boost a lot at 50Hz and doesn't give much below that. The Bose EQ will be applied to the line inputs going to the factory sub, so your replacement sub will get that EQ as well. On my Mazda 3, I was going to get an EQ to help smooth out the peak at 50Hz since the sub wasn't really being used to it's full potential, but got my CX-5 before I got a chance to do that.

On a previous car I had a really nice setup (clean signal, dsp, dyn audio, tru tech, ID sub w/ custom sealed enclosure) and that taught me what good bass is supposed to sound like and how much of the music I had been missing out on. Really want to get back to that so looking to tap into a clean signal (no crappy Bose EQ), or at least add an EQ or DSP to clean up the sub signal so the 50Hz peak doesn't overpower everything else and it's more balanced and deep.

Really depends on what you're after and what type of music you listen to, but sounds like just doing the JBL drop in replacement would be a decent upgrade even without the other stuff.

Latest posts