2017 CX-5 Aftermarket Cross Bars (and a bit of a Thule AeroBlade review)

The same issue when I had the mazda 3. I had to order new roof molding with holes in order to install a roof rack. I'm sure there is a part number out there that has fixed point holes where you can fit a Thule or any other bran rack on there. Would anybody have the part number?

According to the Mazda UK site, the bolt-on roof rack (bolts directly to roof) requires roof moldings with part numbers:

KBYA-50-9H0A (right side)
KBYA-50-9L0A (left side)

https://www.mazda.co.uk/buying-owning/accessories/mazda-cx-5/2017-05/transport/KB8NV3840/

Not sure how we would get these parts in the US, though, or if the US part numbering scheme is the same.

For anyone looking for the oem cross bars, they are at the main warehouses and should be available this week to ship out, per one dealer I talked to.

The OEM Mazda 2017 CX-5 cross-bars (Part Number: 0000-8L-R07) are now available. I just placed an online order for a pair.

Thank you so much for this post, you saved me so much time !

I had Thule bars and bike rack from my previous MKC and did not want having to buy the whole set again so I followed your instructions by ordering the roof rails and the Thule 3160 kit and it just worked perfectly !

I had to order the roof rails from Med Center Mazda because they are still not available at Mazda dealers in Canada but they were cheaper even with the shipping, customs fees and exchange rate !

here are some pictures :

7pJt02J.jpg

FtnahTh.jpg

ukH65At.jpg

Nicolas

Thank you so much for this post, you saved me so much time !

I had Thule bars and bike rack from my previous MKC and did not want having to buy the whole set again so I followed your instructions by ordering the roof rails and the Thule 3160 kit and it just worked perfectly !

I had to order the roof rails from Med Center Mazda because they are still not available at Mazda dealers in Canada but they were cheaper even with the shipping, customs fees and exchange rate !

Nicolas

Glad it helped... funny that when I was looking Thule still doesn't have a fit kit listed for the 2017 CX-5

Are you guys with cross bars leaving them installed when not in use? On the OEM cross bars it is somewhat time consuming to remove them due to the low fastener location. I am wondering if there is any benefit to removing them when not in use...mileage maybe?

I'm interested in know about the cross bars as well. Never having had roof racks, I think I want

1) Rails on the car permanently. (factory seems like the only option unless I want the clamp style to door jams).
2) Removable cross bars
2a) Keyed? I have a yakima hitch key bike rack already, so would like to match core

Or am I over thinking it because they are not easy to remove

Is the top of the rear thule crossbar higher than the sharkfin antenna?

The reason I ask is I have a thule atlantis 1600. I know I will possibly have issues opening the rear hatch running a big box like that. I'm more concerned about clearing the rear antenna. On my 2012 CRV and 2014 Forester, I had to remove the rear antenna otherwise the roof box sat and rubbed on the antenna.

Thanks.

Here is mine loaded up with Yak drop fork racks and the wheel holders on the factory cross bars.

dDwu5pM.jpg

Mine is dealer installed roof rails and cross bars. From the looks of it its more practical to leave it there. The screws are not easy to reach and you'll end up scratching your roof and possibly loose threads if you remove/install as you use it.

Are you guys with cross bars leaving them installed when not in use? On the OEM cross bars it is somewhat time consuming to remove them due to the low fastener location. I am wondering if there is any benefit to removing them when not in use...mileage maybe?

I remove them after each use not because of the fuel economy but because mine are quite noisy unfortunately (the poorly insulated sunroof doesn't help) and because it is not very pretty also. Theft is to be taken into consideration also when living in a big city.

Is the top of the rear thule crossbar higher than the sharkfin antenna?

The reason I ask is I have a thule atlantis 1600. I know I will possibly have issues opening the rear hatch running a big box like that. I'm more concerned about clearing the rear antenna. On my 2012 CRV and 2014 Forester, I had to remove the rear antenna otherwise the roof box sat and rubbed on the antenna.

Thanks.

My personal configuration is much higher than the antenna, I would say at least one inch or even two. Take into consideration that the antenna is very backwards and the box will not possibly go that far also.

My personal configuration is much higher than the antenna, I would say at least one inch or even two. Take into consideration that the antenna is very backwards and the box will not possibly go that far also.

Thanks for the information and verifying the crossbars clear the antenna. The Thule aeroblades you are running, are they the 53" or 47" bars?

The OE cross bars are hard (the bolts specifically) to install.
I did them this weekend.
Trust me. I will leave them there. You can easily scratch the roof.
The bolts are located very close to the roof surface.
They sits higher than the shark fin. No worry on that.

I just got a 2017 CX-5 and I had the roof rails installed. I am interested in the OEM Cross Bars or the AeroBlade setup described in this thread. Anyone have a comparison with regard to wind noise for OEM vs Thule setup? Is it very noticeable? I imagine that the Thule AeroBlade setup might produce more wind noise as it appears to sit higher than the OEM cross bars. I could be wrong. As for durability, can anyone compare the OEM setup vs AeroBlade? Thanks in advance

The OE cross bars are hard (the bolts specifically) to install.
I did them this weekend.
Trust me. I will leave them there. You can easily scratch the roof.
The bolts are located very close to the roof surface.
They sits higher than the shark fin. No worry on that.

It seems to me regardless of it being OEM or aftermarket, you are always going to be working close to the roof. The Thule system uses a Torx security bolt which is a bit of a pain in the butt to tighten down with the provided wrench.

I just got a 2017 CX-5 and I had the roof rails installed. I am interested in the OEM Cross Bars or the AeroBlade setup described in this thread. Anyone have a comparison with regard to wind noise for OEM vs Thule setup? Is it very noticeable? I imagine that the Thule AeroBlade setup might produce more wind noise as it appears to sit higher than the OEM cross bars. I could be wrong. As for durability, can anyone compare the OEM setup vs AeroBlade? Thanks in advance

I cannot speak for the OEM, but for the Thule bars, there is a bit of a whistle at highway speeds (would say 55mph+). With a set of Thule Hull-a-port and Thule Dock Glide kayak racks on the top, it's even noisier, but that would probably be regardless of the crossbars themselves.

Back