2017 CX-5 Aftermarket Cross Bars (and a bit of a Thule AeroBlade review)

:
2017 CX-5 GT FWD Machine Gray
I just noticed that etrailer has some aftermarket options for cross bars from a company called Malone:

https://www.etrailer.com/roof-2017_Mazda_CX-5.htm

These require the roof rails, but at least one of them (the MPG215) seems to allow for adjustment of the crossbars forward and back, according to the installation instructions:

http://maloneautoracks.com/pdf/MPG215-216-217.pdf

Price seems right, too ($144 from etrailer, not including the cost of the OEM roof rails). Anyone have experience with this company's products?

Still investigating options without the roof rails, though, as my preference would be to not have those chrome rails permanently on the roof.

:
2017 CX-5 GT w/ Premium Package
Wow, I just googled the aerobar edge cross bars to compare prices. They sure are proud of those things! Then again, Thule and Yakima stuff seems to always wear well so you get what you pay for I suppose.

Yeah it definitely is not the cheapest option. And seeing that the OEM cross bars may support the same weight, I probably would have explored my options more if I didn't have as urgent of a need for cross bars. Urgent being relative of course.

:
I just noticed that etrailer has some aftermarket options for cross bars from a company called Malone:

https://www.etrailer.com/roof-2017_Mazda_CX-5.htm

These require the roof rails, but at least one of them (the MPG215) seems to allow for adjustment of the crossbars forward and back, according to the installation instructions:

http://maloneautoracks.com/pdf/MPG215-216-217.pdf

Price seems right, too ($144 from etrailer, not including the cost of the OEM roof rails). Anyone have experience with this company's products?

Still investigating options without the roof rails, though, as my preference would be to not have those chrome rails permanently on the roof.

I have not measured the distance between the front and rear fixed mount points on the factory rails, but for those that are looking to adjust the crossbars forward and back, the manual for the Malone cross bars indicates that they should be installed 700mm apart.

To the point made earlier by MKF242 about the cross bars being spaced further apart for load stability, I would pose a counterpoint that is there any proof that the load would be more stable with the cross bars spaced further apart? I would believe that perhaps a larger fore-aft distance between the crossbars might help deal with lateral forces on the roof load, however, what sort of roof load are we talking about that we are concerned about such lateral forces? A few 2x4's? A bike? Those likely wouldn't create enough wind resistance. A 17' kayak? Sure. But at that point if you are honestly concerned about load stability you should have the load tied down to the front and rear of the vehicle. You also have to factor in whether there is more strength in a cross bar that is physically attached to the rails vs one held in place with friction, and whether Mazda engineered the rails to have their highest points of strength at the fixed mount points... just because the rails run the entire length of the roof doesn't mean they necessarily intended for them to be supportive the entire length of the roof.

Unrelated to my tangent, a guy I work with has used Malone roof rack equipment for his kayaks and said it has held up well so far.

:
2016.5 CX-5 Sport
If you can't adjust the mounts for/aft it doesn't bode well for snowboarders depending on where you have your bindings set so that would be a deal breaker.

:
Yeah it definitely is not the cheapest option. And seeing that the OEM cross bars may support the same weight, I probably would have explored my options more if I didn't have as urgent of a need for cross bars. Urgent being relative of course.

FWIW, your option looks a lot better than the (U.S.) OEM option to me, because the OEM option mounts the crossbars behind the rails. I realize both options are functionally the same, but it just looks wrong (IMHO) to have those crossbars behind the rails -- the bars look better when they (at least appear to) sit on the rails. This is a better picture of the OEM option (as implemented on the CX-3):

0000-8L-S01.png

Last edited:
:
The same issue when I had the mazda 3. I had to order new roof molding with holes in order to install a roof rack. I'm sure there is a part number out there that has fixed point holes where you can fit a Thule or any other bran rack on there. Would anybody have the part number?

According to the Mazda UK site, the bolt-on roof rack (bolts directly to roof) requires roof moldings with part numbers:

KBYA-50-9H0A (right side)
KBYA-50-9L0A (left side)

https://www.mazda.co.uk/buying-owning/accessories/mazda-cx-5/2017-05/transport/KB8NV3840/

Not sure how we would get these parts in the US, though, or if the US part numbering scheme is the same.

:
:
2016 MX-5 / 2017 CX-5 GT AWD
For anyone looking for the oem cross bars, they are at the main warehouses and should be available this week to ship out, per one dealer I talked to.

:
2017 Mazda CX-5 GT
The OEM Mazda 2017 CX-5 cross-bars (Part Number: 0000-8L-R07) are now available. I just placed an online order for a pair.

:
Mazda CX-5 GT 2017
Thank you so much for this post, you saved me so much time !

I had Thule bars and bike rack from my previous MKC and did not want having to buy the whole set again so I followed your instructions by ordering the roof rails and the Thule 3160 kit and it just worked perfectly !

I had to order the roof rails from Med Center Mazda because they are still not available at Mazda dealers in Canada but they were cheaper even with the shipping, customs fees and exchange rate !

here are some pictures :

7pJt02J.jpg

FtnahTh.jpg

ukH65At.jpg

Nicolas

:
Thank you so much for this post, you saved me so much time !

I had Thule bars and bike rack from my previous MKC and did not want having to buy the whole set again so I followed your instructions by ordering the roof rails and the Thule 3160 kit and it just worked perfectly !

I had to order the roof rails from Med Center Mazda because they are still not available at Mazda dealers in Canada but they were cheaper even with the shipping, customs fees and exchange rate !

Nicolas

Glad it helped... funny that when I was looking Thule still doesn't have a fit kit listed for the 2017 CX-5

:
Are you guys with cross bars leaving them installed when not in use? On the OEM cross bars it is somewhat time consuming to remove them due to the low fastener location. I am wondering if there is any benefit to removing them when not in use...mileage maybe?

:
CX5
I'm interested in know about the cross bars as well. Never having had roof racks, I think I want

1) Rails on the car permanently. (factory seems like the only option unless I want the clamp style to door jams).
2) Removable cross bars
2a) Keyed? I have a yakima hitch key bike rack already, so would like to match core

Or am I over thinking it because they are not easy to remove

:
2017 CX-5 GT AWD Premium
Is the top of the rear thule crossbar higher than the sharkfin antenna?

The reason I ask is I have a thule atlantis 1600. I know I will possibly have issues opening the rear hatch running a big box like that. I'm more concerned about clearing the rear antenna. On my 2012 CRV and 2014 Forester, I had to remove the rear antenna otherwise the roof box sat and rubbed on the antenna.

Thanks.

:
Here is mine loaded up with Yak drop fork racks and the wheel holders on the factory cross bars.

dDwu5pM.jpg