2016 Mazda6 GT front grill lighting problems!

Hello! Been a happy owner of my Mazda6 for a few months now. Unfortunately, the great time with it has had a small blemish on it.

The 2016 GT has some lighting under the chrome grill trim on the front. Mine has started to go out in spots. The edges by the headlights are bright, but get dimmer around half way down. I've heard people call these LED strips, but I've also heard that the lighting isn't a led strip and more of a reflector.

Anyone else have this problem? I can't find anything online about issues with this. I'd like to know if it's a simple bulb/LED swap or if I'd be looking at replacing the whole lighting assembly.

Last edited:
Solution
I've solved this thankfully. Turns out the lighting wasn't malfunctioning at all. Apparently, there was some sort of very hard to remove substance covering parts of the lighting. I took a fork and wrapped it in wet and soapy paper towels and began to scrape at it.

My thought process was, "it's broken anyway," so I wasn't too worried about damaging it any further. It was a worthwhile gamble, but well worth it considering OEM assemblies cost around $350 EACH, left and right separate (because of course it is), plus labor. I ended up scratching the plastic of the assembly but it's really not noticeable unless you bend over and look closely. I'm very happy with the turn out!! :)
I've solved this thankfully. Turns out the lighting wasn't malfunctioning at all. Apparently, there was some sort of very hard to remove substance covering parts of the lighting. I took a fork and wrapped it in wet and soapy paper towels and began to scrape at it.

My thought process was, "it's broken anyway," so I wasn't too worried about damaging it any further. It was a worthwhile gamble, but well worth it considering OEM assemblies cost around $350 EACH, left and right separate (because of course it is), plus labor. I ended up scratching the plastic of the assembly but it's really not noticeable unless you bend over and look closely. I'm very happy with the turn out!! :)

Upvote 0
Solution
Back