2016~2021 2016 GT Coolant Leak Rear of Engine

:
2010 CX-9 GT
I wonder if all 3 of these leaks are really the same issue or not. We really need some more information!

The first one sounded like a block porosity issue or a cracked block, in which case I could understand replacing the whole engine.

The second one is still a mystery. Did the dealer say why they need to replace the entire engine?

The third sounds like a head bolt or head gasket, although the explanation is not clear. Lots of engines are made of aluminum these days and case and head bolts don't normally back out. This happens so rarely that when it does, it tends to be news (Ford 4.6 V8's had issues with spark plugs blowing out, for instance). Even if it did happen, I would think you could replace and/or retorque the bolts without junking the entire motor.

I wonder if all 3 of these leaks are really the same issue or not. We really need some more information!

The first one sounded like a block porosity issue or a cracked block, in which case I could understand replacing the whole engine.

The second one is still a mystery. Did the dealer say why they need to replace the entire engine?

The third sounds like a head bolt or head gasket, although the explanation is not clear. Lots of engines are made of aluminum these days and case and head bolts don't normally back out. This happens so rarely that when it does, it tends to be news (Ford 4.6 V8's had issues with spark plugs blowing out, for instance). Even if it did happen, I would think you could replace and/or retorque the bolts without junking the entire motor.
Ya sorry, I’m not that savvy with cars. It’s basically a head gasket issue. Note sure why it started leaking all of a sudden though.

What kind of warranty is your trusted shop offering you on their repair ? If you already are covering the costs under 3rd party warranty i would get it done at a dealer, especially for such low mileage and age. You will likely get better warranty for the repair, will be able to better diagnose the source and may even drop in a brand new engine instead of a repaired one.

What kind of warranty is your trusted shop offering you on their repair ? If you already are covering the costs under 3rd party warranty i would get it done at a dealer, especially for such low mileage and age. You will likely get better warranty for the repair, will be able to better diagnose the source and may even drop in a brand new engine instead of a repaired one.
That’s a good point.

Latest posts