2016 CX-9 Signature leaking coolant

:
Mazda 2 touring
Hey guys,

This weekend the CX-9 started leaking and burning coolant. I took a look at the engine bay and I couldn’t find a leak around the any of the hoses. However, it seems to be leaking from the firewall side. I’ve made an appointment with the dealer, for this coming Saturday. I’ve been reading through the forum and this seems to be a problem, that is affecting the 2016 model years.

I’ll update as I learn more.

2016 signature
39,000 miles

Solution
Hey guys,

So I dropped off the CX9 today and this is a known issue (2016 model years). The service assistant confirmed this, even before I took in the car. Once the car was inspected, they determined a new engine would be required. However, they are in back order and I’ll get more information on Monday. I’ll try to get photos of the engine and more details if possible.

I think my build date is March or April 2016.
I just took my 2016 GT into the dealership for a coolant leak in the rear of the engine today (4/10/2021). I purchased the car used in 2019 with an extended warranty. My dealer has not been able to locate the source of the leak after using a scope and running a pressure test. After reading the threads on here about the 2016 CX-9 coolant leak problems, it's seeming like I will need an engine replacement as well. The last update we got was they were not wanting to disassemble around where the leak is coming from because the warranty will not fully cover the labor required to do that, which is 3-4 hours. My dealer will not give a loaner car or rental car until the leak is diagnosed so now I am left without a vehicle until that happens. Hoping that the issue can be diagnosed and parts can be ordered quickly so I am not left without a car for any longer than I have to be.
How many miles?

Upvote 0
I have a 2018 mazda cx9 gt, 68,000 miles. Never had a prob, well maintained, love this car.......went to family up in ohio, 500 mile trip one way. We were up there a week and evening before heading home, i noticed puddle under car and figured it was ac condensate, although i must have sensed puddle was too far to center of vehicle......i dont know why i checked, but it was coolant. I couldnt believe it. Coolant leak was dripping off splashshield under car at oil pan access cover. Checked overflow resevoir and it was really low. Went down to local autozone and purchased fl-22 asian green coolant and topped coolant off to correct levels. I jacked up car and removed access panel. Coolant droplets everywhere around area and i could tell leak was coming from above, back side of engine. Couldnt see up that far with exhaust, turbo, etc. in the way.tight up there! Car never got hot and runs/idles perfect. Oil was changed just before the trip and looked great. Long story short , i drove it home the next day after local dealership wanted 5 days before he could even look at it, even after my vacation trip nightmare story(yes, i will share my story with Mazda and their dealership shotcomings when i get through this mess) Drove it home next morning...70 to 80, even using ac at times, watching the coolant temp and it ran perfectly all the way home. I called dealer that afternoon when we got home and he said to bring it in next morning. I brought it in the next morning and that afternoon they called me and stated it was a cracked head. I have an extended warranty for 8 years, 125,000 miles i originally purchased with the brand new vehicle. Service rep told me Mazda wanted block changed too and was going back and forth with warranty rep. Extended warranty wanted to inspect and 3rd party inspector will have looked at it it by end of Monday so we will see how it goes. I have purchased 4 new mazdas in the last 12 years and am a bit shocked by this problem. Glad i got it home without incident, but has been a painful experience and i hope this ends well. I have been looking at the competition for the cx9 on line all weekend and you know, i just dont see anything out there that checks all the boxes for my needs like the cx9. Monday i should know more and will report....

Upvote 0
I have a 2018 mazda cx9 gt, 68,000 miles. Never had a prob, well maintained, love this car.......went to family up in ohio, 500 mile trip one way. We were up there a week and evening before heading home, i noticed puddle under car and figured it was ac condensate, although i must have sensed puddle was too far to center of vehicle......i dont know why i checked, but it was coolant. I couldnt believe it. Coolant leak was dripping off splashshield under car at oil pan access cover. Checked overflow resevoir and it was really low. Went down to local autozone and purchased fl-22 asian green coolant and topped coolant off to correct levels. I jacked up car and removed access panel. Coolant droplets everywhere around area and i could tell leak was coming from above, back side of engine. Couldnt see up that far with exhaust, turbo, etc. in the way.tight up there! Car never got hot and runs/idles perfect. Oil was changed just before the trip and looked great. Long story short , i drove it home the next day after local dealership wanted 5 days before he could even look at it, even after my vacation trip nightmare story(yes, i will share my story with Mazda and their dealership shotcomings when i get through this mess) Drove it home next morning...70 to 80, even using ac at times, watching the coolant temp and it ran perfectly all the way home. I called dealer that afternoon when we got home and he said to bring it in next morning. I brought it in the next morning and that afternoon they called me and stated it was a cracked head. I have an extended warranty for 8 years, 125,000 miles i originally purchased with the brand new vehicle. Service rep told me Mazda wanted block changed too and was going back and forth with warranty rep. Extended warranty wanted to inspect and 3rd party inspector will have looked at it it by end of Monday so we will see how it goes. I have purchased 4 new mazdas in the last 12 years and am a bit shocked by this problem. Glad i got it home without incident, but has been a painful experience and i hope this ends well. I have been looking at the competition for the cx9 on line all weekend and you know, i just dont see anything out there that checks all the boxes for my needs like the cx9. Monday i should know more and will report....
This sounds exactly like whats going on in my 2016, it’s leaking from the exact same spot. We filled it with coolant last night to get to the dealer today and this morning almost half of it was on my garage floor. I really hope the warranty company and my dealership don’t give us the runaround and get the repairs/replacement done ASAP. We have also kept the car very well maintained and really love it. This is the first major issue we have ever had.

Upvote 0
:
2019 CX-9 Signature
oh man I'm now hesitate to keep this car pass the powertrain warranty or get the extended warranty but that only covers until 100k miles. 2019 at 38k miles now.

Upvote 0
Update (4/12/21): The service manager thought they found the leak in a “hose pipe” in the rear of the engine. However they were not confident enough to submit that information to the warranty company so they are now taking the vehicle apart in the area of the leak to further determine the source. The service manager said he hasn’t seen a problem this complicated in a very long time. They still cannot get me a loaner/rental car, so tomorrow will be day 4 of no car.

Upvote 0
Dealership finally found the source of the problem which is a crack in the cylinder, meaning engine replacement. Service department has been in contact with the warranty company and are getting an inspector out tomorrow to determine whether it is covered under warranty. The service manager told us the policy only covers part of the cylinder; which doesn’t make any sense to us, if it is a nearly full coverage “premium” warranty, shouldn’t the entire thing be covered?

Upvote 0
:
2019 CX-9 Signature
Dealership finally found the source of the problem which is a crack in the cylinder, meaning engine replacement. Service department has been in contact with the warranty company and are getting an inspector out tomorrow to determine whether it is covered under warranty. The service manager told us the policy only covers part of the cylinder; which doesn’t make any sense to us, if it is a nearly full coverage “premium” warranty, shouldn’t the entire thing be covered?

Sounds like pain in the ass you're going through. Which warranty did you get?

Upvote 0
I just got word that Mazda is covering engine replacement. Thought the 68, 000 miles on the clock might be an issue. They will have a loaner for me soon. My extended warranty? They were only going to cover if caused by failed internal components....right.

If I ever do an extended warranty again, it will have to be a factory extended warranty....If there is such a thing. The rest of them are crooks.

Glad to see Mazda step up on this one. Love this car and I will not be getting rid of it...Although I am curious about the six cylinder Mazda is developing...Hope it comes out in an suv!

Upvote 0
We received a rental car for 2 days, the dealer told us it needed to be returned because the warranty company was behind on claims and it would be a few days before a ruling would be made, which doesnt make sense, why would the rental need to be returned? We are now meeting with the service manager and the general manager at the dealer monday morning to sort this mess out.

Upvote 0
:
Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 2016
Someone needs to pay for the rental car every day it's out. If the warranty company hasn't agreed to pay for it, it must be either returned or you pay.

If you bought that 3rd party extended warranty from the dealership, be firm with the dealership standing behind the product they sold you. If you didn't buy it from the shop that's doing the repairs, good luck.

Upvote 0
Someone needs to pay for the rental car every day it's out. If the warranty company hasn't agreed to pay for it, it must be either returned or you pay.

If you bought that 3rd party extended warranty from the dealership, be firm with the dealership standing behind the product they sold you. If you didn't buy it from the shop that's doing the repairs, good luck.
The warranty did pay for the 2 days while the inspector was supposed to come. Luckily we are at the dealer the car was purchased and where normal service is done. We are hoping for the best at this point!

Upvote 0

Latest posts