2016 CX-9 GT AWD Next set of replacement tires?

Not sure about Yokohama or Continental, but Bridgestone Dueler Alanza Plus was one of my top two choices. Given the consistent less than satisfactory reviews of Ecopias (on this forum and Tirerack.com), I'd rather replace all four and get new set. And I do not even know why Costco carries Bridgestone Ecopias given they are not the most loved tires and has consistent bad reviews.

Not sure how many miles you have on those tires, but if you replaced only two, you re looking at constantly having mix and match tires for the rest of the time you own the car because you'd now end up replacing only two most worn tires every time-going forward.
Hey thank you for the reply. I would be replacing all 4 tires since I have no interest in wasting money replacing the punctured tired with the same lame tire. I've only got 4,500 miles on them! If this didn't happen, I'd normally just ride them until about 20k miles and then change out all 4. I despise subpar tires that compromise safety and piece of mind. The ecopias do say made in Japan on them though which In thought was rare to see and initially led me to believe they were good tires.

@Tinjimnj. I'm interested in the other brands because they are the newest gen tires with seemingly good reviews at a little lower cost that are supposed to rival Michelin and last longer and be quieter while giving excellent 4 season traction, especially in colder weather with light snow. The Continental LX25's get raving reviews but not available in this size. The Michelin Defender LTX M+S are top rated but very expensive.

What are you looking for in tires? Michelin Defender are very good tires with long tread life. To get that they must give up some traction and/or low-rolling resistance. There is no perfect tire, but there are some that are best suited for your needs. In general I like to look at the newest tires from any of the major tire makers. The manufacturers are continually improving the rubber compounds, the tire casing, and the tread patterns. They tend to leap-frog each other; Michelin's newest are great until next year when Continental's best come out, then some other make the next year. Then Michelin might be ready with their newest and best.

If you car takes the 20" tires, here are some tires and their attributes (if you have 18" tires, re-do the report for your size) (those Pirellis look interesting):
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=CSTAS&width=255/&ratio=50&diameter=20&tireSearch=true&filter=y

Bridgestone makes some fine tires. That said, I've never liked any of the Bridgestone original equipment tires I've had on new vehicles.

Last edited:
Would it be weird to put some off road type tires? Like some cooper AT3 4s? I don’t think I’ve seen any before. I’ve seen some CX5s with off road tires, even some CRVs and RAV4s but no CX9s. Thought it might look a little different. Something interesting. Thoughts?

In general all-terrain tires will be noisier, reduced gas mileage, shorter tread life, less crisp handling, better traction on dirt, rock, snow compared to good all-season tires.

Would it be weird to put some off road type tires? Like some cooper AT3 4s? I don’t think I’ve seen any before. I’ve seen some CX5s with off road tires, even some CRVs and RAV4s but no CX9s. Thought it might look a little different. Something interesting. Thoughts?

Look at the Wildpeak AT Trails. Not aggressive and would handle about as much as the CX-9 could. In regards to @PTguy ‘s comment, that could be more true on the CX-9 but I noticed no MPG hit on my 4Runner going to all terrains from all seasons.

We just picked up our ‘21 CX-9 GT. As part of the deal I had the dealer exchange the crappy Bridgestone Ecopias for Michelin Primacy Tour A/S. I am leasing the 9 and the Tirerack reviews were so bad for the Ecopias, especially for tread-wear, that there was no way I wanted to replace tires before the end of the lease, which was likely to happen. These Michelins are amazing and made an already quiet and smooth vehicle into a glass smooth and completely silent SUV. I have owned Lexus, Acura and Infinitis that were not this smooth and quiet. Step up your game Mazda and put a premium tire on your “flagship” vehicle!

I am at 50500 miles on my OEM Falken Ziex. I have been reading up about replacement tires for Gen2 CX-9. First thing come to mind if mostly everyone is replacing the tires at around 40k miles. Am I the only one who has far over utilized mine at 50500 miles? I have been told about 3 months ago that I could probably get around 2-3k miles more. I live in NJ. Granted, the car isn't driving much due to my WFH during the current pandemic, but irrespective of that should I bite the bullet and change these now, or wait till the next winter season is upon us and change it then?

Curious about what was the tread life warranty on OEM Falken Ziex, anyone know?

Another thing, I have read may posts about Bridgestones, Michelins and Continentals. So far I learned that Bridgestone Ecopia isn't one of the best one (even tirerack doesn't have good ratings). So, I am considering Bridgestone Dueler Alanza Plus, or Michelin Premier LTX or Defender LTX, and lastly Vredestein Quatrac Pro - in that order.

To my surprise no one is talking about Vredestein! Has any one got Vredenstein and your thoughts on it?
dont know about Vredestein, but heres the road i have been down....I have 68,000 on my 2018 cx9 gt, 20 in wheels....liked the stiff sidewalls and looks of the oem falkens,but that was it...horrible tire: noisy, poor handling in rain, poor treadwear. Next tire was a Yokohama discount tire model recommended for the cx9. Quiet tire except for on new asphalt where it gave off a loud high frequency shrill... good mileage, great wet traction, handling was fair.. biggest issue was soft sidewalls....car would lean in turns like it needed shocks and effected handling in turns..after exhaustive research, i went with Michelin Premier LTX DT's...This is the tire that handles well, quiet, no lean stiff sidewalls, good in the rain..finally! a tire that checks all the boxes....except cost is a little higher and mileage suffered by 2 mpg. Dont have enough miles on them to speak on tirewear....

i would guess the m+s would be noisier due to the more aggressive tread....and of course better for snow, mud traction, and a compound better suited for colder temps....harsher winter areas.
I live in nc so the Winters are mild, but do have occasional freezing temps and a little snow/ice...roads are cleared well.

Michelin defender ltx m+s or premier DT?
Two quite different tires. First---LTX is Michelin's line of cars for SUVs & light trucks. I think they will have a stiffer sidewall to better handle the weight, and weight distribution of these vehicles. There might be other differences. We do want the line of tires designed for SUV & CUV vehicles--Michelin LTX, Bridgestone Dueler, Cooper Discoverer, and not all manufacturers so-specify a line for our SUV/CUVs. I think DT is a custom label for the Discount Tire chain, just as Costco has a custom label for some of their Michelin tires. M+S (mud & snow) indicates that the tire tread meets a geometric spec of the Rubber Manufacturers Association, the tire makers' industry group. I think every all-season tire has the M+S label, even some with very close tread gaps. https://www.drivesmartbc.ca/equipment/what-does-ms-mean

Defender is a line of all season tires designed for long tread life. The tread warranty is 70,000 miles. Premier is a line of all season tires designed for very high wet traction. The tread life warranty is 60,000 miles. Of the 3 main factors, tread life, traction, low rolling resistance, to increase one factor then one or two of the others must be reduced.

So, of the Michelin brand, if I want longest tread life, I'd get the Defender LTX. Actually best wet traction is most important to me, so I'd get the Premier LTX. If one of these is from a retailer with a custom label, that's OK to me.

Two quite different tires. First---LTX is Michelin's line of cars for SUVs & light trucks. I think they will have a stiffer sidewall to better handle the weight, and weight distribution of these vehicles. There might be other differences. We do want the line of tires designed for SUV & CUV vehicles--Michelin LTX, Bridgestone Dueler, Cooper Discoverer, and not all manufacturers so-specify a line for our SUV/CUVs. I think DT is a custom label for the Discount Tire chain, just as Costco has a custom label for some of their Michelin tires. M+S (mud & snow) indicates that the tire tread meets a geometric spec of the Rubber Manufacturers Association, the tire makers' industry group. I think every all-season tire has the M+S label, even some with very close tread gaps. https://www.drivesmartbc.ca/equipment/what-does-ms-mean

Defender is a line of all season tires designed for long tread life. The tread warranty is 70,000 miles. Premier is a line of all season tires designed for very high wet traction. The tread life warranty is 60,000 miles. Of the 3 main factors, tread life, traction, low rolling resistance, to increase one factor then one or two of the others must be reduced.

So, of the Michelin brand, if I want longest tread life, I'd get the Defender LTX. Actually best wet traction is most important to me, so I'd get the Premier LTX. If one of these is from a retailer with a custom label, that's OK to me.
Important to note that the M+S rating is only for mild winter conditions. The 3PMSF (3 peak mountain snowflake) is for severe snow service. This includes freezing roads and slippery, snowy roads. Personally, I look for 3PMSF tires for all my vehicles. I don’t want the hassle of having two sets of tires for the different seasons. We also end up on road trips over mountain passes since we live on the East Coast and both our families live on the West Coast. Not having to stop to chain up for every pass is so nice

Michelin Premier LTX DT is what i have on my cx9 and yes the dt would be a discount tire version. 60,000 mile warranty.

Michelin Premier LTX DT is what i have on my cx9 and yes the dt would be a discount tire version. 60,000 mile warranty.
The DT stands for Different Tread. They changed the tread compound last year to achieve better mileage on the tires. Prior to that some were only getting 20,000 miles out of the tires so they had to change the compound. Now they supposedly last much longer.

The DT stands for Different Tread. They changed the tread compound last year to achieve better mileage on the tires. Prior to that some were only getting 20,000 miles out of the tires so they had to change the compound. Now they supposedly last much longer.
Thanks for the correction. I know my previous Yokohamas were a special discount tire model and i assumed incorrectly on the Premeir LTX "DT"s(how long does a tire name have to be? lol) Great tire for the cx9.

So, went to discount tire and they hooked me up with 4 newly released Goodyear assurance comfortdrive tires, giving me credit for my almost new Bridgestone ecopia 422 tires and with 3 year replacement certs, installation and additional Goodyear rebate, it’s only going to cost me $300 net to swap. They had to order them but come in a day. I can't believe those garbage Bridgestones were put on by Mazda. I'll post my review for others soon!

Update: Tires installed and initial impression is quiet, and car handles like on rails. These tires are also XL rated and that makes them have a stiffer sidewall and load carrying capacity which makes it feel a bit harder and stiffer over bumps than stock tires but you get much better handling and responsiveness. Tread depth is 11/32 new and has a really nice rim guard built in. Highway manners are smooth and straight. Minimal noise depending on pavement type. Wet, dry traction should be way way better and also these are M+S rated. Very good looking tires as well. Will take some pics and post soon!

I recently ordered a new set of Toyo Open Country Q/T. So far the ride is quiet yet comfortable on the road. Amazing traction and handling. It's worth every cent.

I installed a set of Michelin LTXs on my 2018 back in early May. My OEM Bridge (Ecopia) were toast at about 25-26K miles (disappointing).

I was nervous about going from a V rated to H rated tire. However, after a few thousand miles, I can say with confidence that the CX9 is suited for the LTX. the Ecopia, especially when worn, was probably too firm for the class of vehicle.

Also, the LTX has extremely high ratings and a lot of repeat buyers. It's the only 70K mile warranty in its segment. If you need an all season, and plan to keep the car fro a while, it's kind of a no brainer.

If you're not keeping the car long, buy a cheaper tire.

Back