2016+ CX-9 Bumper Removal

nano_rx

:
2005 RX-8, 2016 CX-9
Hey guys, does anyone have info or a link to removing the front bumper off of 2016+ CX-9? I find lots of YouTubes for the previous gen but not for the 16+. Ive taken the bumper off of my RX-8 over fifty times but dont wanna break something off of the CX-9 from missing some info/tips. Thanks

Hey guys, does anyone have info or a link to removing the front bumper off of 2016+ CX-9? I find lots of YouTubes for the previous gen but not for the 16+. Ive taken the bumper off of my RX-8 over fifty times but dont wanna break something off of the CX-9 from missing some info/tips. Thanks

Did you ever find anything on this? I'm about to start wrapping my wife's 2018 CX-9 and am going to remove/loosen the bumper to wrap it. Thanks!

Anyone find any info?
I need to take off the bumper cover to replace the chrome trim. It appears to be screwed on from behind.
Or does anyone know if this is not the case.

Thanks

If anyone ends up doing this, please be sure to take a bunch of photos to help out the rest of the community. Bumper removal is one of the most sought after tutorials for most cars.

Thankfully I think the CX-9 is designed so that the headlight bulbs are easily accessible from the engine bay, but if I wanted to install Hella Supertones or replace the radiator or anything like that, I'd want a DIY of some sort to reference.

So i did this this weekend, it's actually scarily easy to get off -- I'll take pics upon reassembly, but here is the jist of it:

1. Pull the plastic trim off around the front wheels (they're just clipped into place, so just pry them outwards and they'll pop off)
2. There's one bolt on the left side and one bolt on the left side attaching the bumper that was under the plastic wheel well molding, remove these
3. Disconnect the fog lights if you have them at this point!
4. Under the hood, there is several push pins that go along the top of the bumper -- remove these
5. Underneath, there are several screws and push pins along the front bottom of the bumper, remove these
6. then, literally pull outwards from the vehicle and bumper will come off

Anyone find any info?
I need to take off the bumper cover to replace the chrome trim. It appears to be screwed on from behind.
Or does anyone know if this is not the case.

Thanks

This is accurate, also, there is one screw on each side that's underneath the fog light housing, so you have to remove the fog light housing with 3 screws, to access the final screw on each side of the chrome plastic trim.

Hi,

It is a bit late for me now as I took my car to Mazda to have a chrome grill fitted to my CX9 Sport (and I can see that the Captain helped you out) ...

When looking at new a set of fog lights on ebay, I found these fog light installation instructions that include bumper removal instructions.

I hope this helps someone else in the future...

AlTee

View attachment 2017 CX-9 bumper removal.pdf

Hi,

It is a bit late for me now as I took my car to Mazda to have a chrome grill fitted to my CX9 Sport (and I can see that the Captain helped you out) ...

When looking at new a set of fog lights on ebay, I found these fog light installation instructions that include bumper removal instructions.

I hope this helps someone else in the future...

AlTee

View attachment 219754

Thanks, this will be useful for everyone.

Hi Altee1106,

Thank you for providing the front bumper removal instructions. Do you by chance have any information on removing the rear bumper?

Thanks in advance

Rear Bumper Removal PDF?

The wifey somehow backed into the neighbor's basketball hoop and cracked the chrome strip and scuffed the bumper. The scuff is not noticeable but the crack sticks out. Don't ask me how she managed to hit the pole despite having a backup camera and proximity sensors, just glad it wasn't me.

How difficult is it to remove? Is it just two sided tape or are there clips? Can it be done with the bumper in place? Do you need to drop the exhaust? Installation Instructions?

Don't ask me how she managed to hit the pole despite having a backup camera and proximity sensors, just glad it wasn't me

It's been my experience that the sensors don't always "see" everything.

For instance, I backed into a car in a parking lot. The edge of my rear bumper connected with the edge of the rear bumper on a friends car. He didn't find the damage to be worthy of a repair even though I practically begged him to let me pay for it. The edge of his bumper seemed to be in a sensor blind spot. There was no alert of any kind with the sensors engaged.

Leaning from this, much later I happened into a business that has it's mailbox post in the center of the parking lot toward the street. I made a mental note of where the box was as I pulled in and around it knowing I could forget about it after being in there a while.

With the box 12-15 ft almost directly behind me, there was NO warning of any kind that there was an object there. I backed out at one point with the box within 5-8 ft... no sensor alert.

There have been other instances with certain landscaping, guy wires and high curbs that the sensors don't "see."

Nothing takes the place of a visual check, right? I tend to be a very careful driver in tight spaces. Since the bumper incident, I don't rely on the sensors nearly as much as before.

I've also learned that I know where I can trust the sensors... in my garage for instance and usually parking near any high, wide wall or fence.

On a related note (sort of) the rain wiper sensors in my car freaked out on Saturday... the wipers came on a couple times with the light rain then suddenly started FLYING back and forth full speed. I turned the wipers off then back on and they performed normally the rest of the drive.

I realize this subject matter maybe for a different thread and my apologies if it should be. Thanks.

Hi Altee1106,

Thank you for providing the front bumper removal instructions. Do you by chance have any information on removing the rear bumper?

Thanks in advance

Sorry Mate,

Unfortunately I do not have anything for the rear bumper ... I was an accident that I found the pdf for the front bumper ...

Thanks

Just posting in case someone is still looking for rear bumper removal instructions.

Back