2016 CX-5 Map Update Questions

:
2016 CX-5 & CX-3
Just purchased a 2016.5 CX-5 and a 2016 CX-3. I wanted to update the maps and found that both cars maps were dated 2015. Obviously, neither previous owner ever bothered to update the maps within the 3 year period they had. The maps are far enough out of date that it was about useless in my area that's been changing over the last few years.

I asked my dealership if they could update the maps to the latest version for me at their expense considering that a) the maps were never updated before and b) because I spent a lot of money with them and I didn't feel that spending another $89/vehicle to update online was reasonable...

I was almost laughing at the response I received which was basically a blank stare... they seemed to have no clue about what I was asking for... no surprise as one of the other things I asked them to do was to update the commander firmware to the latest version since they had the cars for a full week before I was picking them up and that never got done... they were at V55 on the CX-5 and V59 on the CX-3... so I just did that update to V70 myself.

Since I got no satisfaction from the dealership on the maps, I decided to call Mazda and eventually got a very nice and reasonable rep on the line. I explained all of this to her and asked if they had a 'code' they could give me since the Toolbox app has a button to enter one when updating... lol... they had no idea what the code was nor did they have one they could give me. At that point, there wasn't any use berating anyone so I thanked her and we hung up.

5 mins later, I got a call back from that rep and she sent me a credit to use at the dealership because she agreed that spending some $40K with them and not getting something as simple as a map update was just silly... God love her...

So I guess my questions are:

1) has anyone ever been able to get a code from mazda to get the map update for free?
2) What is the cost from the dealership to replace the SD card if one should 'malfunction' and would I be able to update that one to the latest maps?
3) should I just abandon this altogether and use my phone for all my navigation?

Any thoughts or experiences would be welcome.

Thanks,

C

First of all, congrats on buying the 16 CX-5. I have a 16 GT and love it. As far as the navigation, I haven’t even looked at the built it nav since I had Apple Carplay installed over a year ago. Google maps and WAZE is the way to go

I can answer #2 above.

If you went into the dealership and purchased a Mazda Nav card, the cost would be in the range of ~$350. How much credit did Mazda give you to spend at the dealership?

How were you able to determine that your old map versions were from 2015? The last time that I updated my Nav cards (I have two Mazdas) the ToolBox didn't tell me what the old versions were just that a newer version was availble.

If you’re current map is the June 2019 version, I was told by Mazda that the next update will be on January 9, 2020.

Have been looking into updating my maps as I too have just bought a 2016 CX-5. My software is version 59, so other than Apple car play, there doesn’t seem any difference to version 70. My maps however are still 2015. The maps in UK have just been updated as of December 2019. My local Mazda dealer said they would put latest maps on for £30 when I have the car serviced.

Have been looking into updating my maps as I too have just bought a 2016 CX-5. My software is version 59, so other than Apple car play, there doesn’t seem any difference to version 70. My maps however are still 2015. The maps in UK have just been updated as of December 2019. My local Mazda dealer said they would put latest maps on for £30 when I have the car serviced.
You can put the latest maps on by using the Mazda Toolbox. £30 charged by the dealer is a rip off. Version 70 onwards does fix bugs, there's no need for the AA/Android hardware to be fitted.

$30 (dollars not pounds) isn't that bad at all. For 3 years of map updates? AND I've never seen the cards THAT cheap. Normally around $80-$90. Hell I think I just got my last map update. I may buy one of those and my area isn't that updated anymore.
Yes, Google Apple Maps are better but there are many times I don't have that running.
It is nice to be able to CLICK CLICK CLICK 3 times and be navigating home. And 3 years later I still LOVE the cross street feature in the dash. Not to mention there have been times I run BOTH Nav systems at the same time.

OP I would absolutely get the card that Red Baron shared here. $10.33 / year for 3 years?! That is NOT expensive.

Too bad you updated that software though.
You updated yourself out of using the Mazda Tweak software easily. Wish you would have checked with us first.

$30 (dollars not pounds) isn't that bad at all. For 3 years of map updates? AND I've never seen the cards THAT cheap. Normally around $80-$90. Hell I think I just got my last map update. I may buy one of those and my area isn't that updated anymore.
Yes, Google Apple Maps are better but there are many times I don't have that running.
It is nice to be able to CLICK CLICK CLICK 3 times and be navigating home. And 3 years later I still LOVE the cross street feature in the dash. Not to mention there have been times I run BOTH Nav systems at the same time.

OP I would absolutely get the card that Red Baron shared here. $10.33 / year for 3 years?! That is NOT expensive.

Too bad you updated that software though.
You updated yourself out of using the Mazda Tweak software easily. Wish you would have checked with us first.

If Poggs38 CX5 is a 2018 model then he will have 3 years free map updates in the UK until 2021 so for the dealer to charge £30 (not dollars) for updating the map for him is a rip off. I took it to mean that the dealer will charge to update this time and the next time, and the next and so on. It can be carried out via the Mazda Toolbox application and downloaded on to the existing SD card.

First line of his post: as I too have just bought a 2016 CX-5.
:D

I am still on year 1 of my 3yr update subscription. When the time comes, if l pay for a 30 pound or equivalent renewal, does it buy another 3 years or just 1?

I am still on year 1 of my 3yr update subscription. When the time comes, if l pay for a 30 pound or equivalent renewal, does it buy another 3 years or just 1?
IIRC, you have a choice.
The 3-year option is much cheaper per year.

I just bought the Nav SD card off eBay for $32 (thanks to those who posted this info on this forum) and it worked like a champ. This was for my 2019, so may not be the same as yours, but worth investigating!

This was mine, YMMV: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Looks like some are available for 2016 too: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Since this month will be my last free update (3 years up in May), if I purchase one of these new cards off eBay will it be good for three more years?

Since this month will be my last free update (3 years up in May), if I purchase one of these new cards off eBay will it be good for three more years?

I bought a Nav SD card off of Amazon, $80 for my MX-5. It worked fine and once the card was mated with the car (you must dive at least 63 miles with the card inserted) I updated the card and the Toolbox told me that I have two more updates before 2022.

So yes, the card should be updateable for three years.

I tried a card from amazon, following the link provided. Was advertised as Dec 2019 latest maps. Actually ended up being Q4 2017. Got a full refund. Local Mazda dealer updated my maps to latest version for £30.

Back