2016 CX-5 engine concerns

I just put blended synthetic oil into my sky active engine. I have always put full synthetic before this. I have 58k miles on it. I useD a coupon that was for blended synthetic. Mazda recommends full synthetic. Should i be concerned?

should i continue driving until 5k miles and then switch back to full synth?

or

swap the oil back to full synthetic now before any potential wear happens?

My 2 cents. Unless you notice anything unusual leave it and switch back at the next change. I’m sure there will be all kinds of debate on this but as long as it’s the same weight it should not present a problem. My opinion only.

Some oils are better than others but I would bet that it would be hard to find a bad name brand oil.

For what it’s worth I used syn blend in my 2010. 120,000 trouble free miles. I know. Different motor different time.

First of all I wouldn't worry about any potential wear.Even most any non synthetic oil provides proper protection otherwise engines would be failing the world over.And there is nothing magical or sacred about full synthetic oils,it's just that they hold up best to heat and other forms of degradation (shearing,volatility etc) and pump well at low temperatures.

What viscosity grade of oil and brand did you use.I'm not aware of any 0w-20 semi-syn blends so it has to be at least 5w-xx.For the USA,a 0w-20 is specified (for CAFE -corporate average fuel economy )but 5w-30 allowed in other countries .My personal feeling is that in a hot climate even 10w-30 would work fine.
I guess it comes back to what did you put in?

I went to Valvoline instant oil change and asked for a blended synth. i just looked at the invoice and it says it used this oil [Valvoline 0W20 MaxLife Oil API SN] after looking this up i think its actually a full synthetic. I might be freaking out for no reason right now, lol. [Valvoline Oil Filter VO106] - oil Filter used.

Thanks for the reply though!

any confirmation on if this oil is any good?

Last edited:
Rest easy on the oil,my Mazda dealer has been using Valvoline 0w-20 for the last 2 years when they did my oil changes.The filter though may not be to Mazda spec regarding bypass pressure but still provide adequate filtration.And really,the bypass pressure rating may not pose a problem anyway but in the future a filter meeting Mazda specs would be best.
I just started doing my own oil changes and used a Mobil-1 filter.Another filter meeting Mazda spec is made by WIX.Not sure about FRAM ULTRA but Mazda filters are available at the dealer or online.

I just started doing my own oil changes and used a Mobil-1 filter.Another filter meeting Mazda spec is made by WIX.Not sure about FRAM ULTRA but Mazda filters are available at the dealer or online.
Some comments on those “one-size-fit-all” after-market oil filters. We all know Mazda designed 2 different oil filters for SA-G 2.5L and 2.5T. If you check the Mobil 1 website, it says to use Mobil 1™ Extended Performance Oil Filter M1-108A for CX-5 2.5L, but nothing available for CX-5 2.5T. But strangely lt says to use the same M1-108A for CX-9 which has the same 2.5T! M1-108A is said to fit many other different vehicles too.

Wix website says to use 57002, which claimed to be designed specifically for SA-G 2.5L, for both 2.5L and 2.5T!

Something doesn’t add up here. That’s why I personally would rather use the Value-line Mexican-made OEM filter than those after-market oil filters, although I prefer Japanese Tokyo Roki or Thai Denso OEM oil filter.

I used the Mobil-1 M1-108A filter.It looked like a quality constructed filter so I bought it.There is an Advance Auto parts close by,so $34 later I had the filter and a 5 qt jug of Castrol Edge 0w-20.Easy peasy.

I think the difference between the oil filters for the turbo vs the non turbo must be the strength of the bypass valve. It is worth it to stick to the OEM filters.

Back