2016.5 suspension noise, dealer woes

birch

2016.5 GT / 30k miles
front driver side suspension making crunching/knocking sound over any small bump at low speeds, especially while accelerating. Think: any city stop sign, traffic light, freeway entrance, driveway...

Took to dealer, couldn't replicate sound. Told them to keep trying. Alas! They heard it. Thanks to what I googled here (!) they were able to "dig up some TSBs".

Replaced strut tower (?).
Picked up car, no change.

Round 2, drove with tech to by pass the "we can't hear" problem (he agreed: noise)
Replaced lower control arm bushing.

Round 3, "we hear nothing", pick up your car
me: Sorry, I'm not picking up my car (I have a loaner).

I'm going back tomorrow to drive with the tech (again) so he can hear the noise (again) but I've lost any confidence they're actually going to fix anything. I'm nearing the end of my warranty and feels like they're just running out the clock.

Any suggestions on??

I've never had this sort of problem with a car or mechanic before. Usually don't go to dealer, but it's under warranty.

THANKS!!

2016.5 GT / 30k miles
front driver side suspension making crunching/knocking sound over any small bump at low speeds, especially while accelerating. Think: any city stop sign, traffic light, freeway entrance, driveway...

Took to dealer, couldn't replicate sound. Told them to keep trying. Alas! They heard it. Thanks to what I googled here (!) they were able to "dig up some TSBs".

Round 2, drove with tech to by pass the "we can't hear" problem (he agreed: noise)

I'm going back tomorrow to drive with the tech (again) so he can hear the noise (again) but I've lost any confidence they're actually going to fix anything. I'm nearing the end of my warranty and feels like they're just running out the clock.

Any suggestions on??

I've never had this sort of problem with a car or mechanic before. Usually don't go to dealer, but it's under warranty.

THANKS!!

I haven't experienced this myself, but is there another dealer nearby you could take it to? They might be a bit more motivated to identify and fix the problem.

For suspension and even some brake recommendations, I typically take my car to an alignment shop that does suspension and brake work. These guys have never let me down and I recommend them to many others. If you are in the San Diego area, I can give you the name of the alignment shop to which I referred.

Birch, I think you should include your city and state in your member info so someone in the area can make specific recommendations regarding repair shops or dealerships.

There were several TSBs on suspension noise but we*re not allowed to post them. I think the most obvious one for that noise is the lower arm front bush which is known to creak/groan. It has been modified with a new one. Part number TK48-34-470A

Id take it to a different dealer. Been there, done that. Cant replicate that many times = dont care or incompetence.

There is, but they were either booked or didn't have a loaner and I'm nearing the end of my warranty (of course). I'll try again if/when attempt #3 fails. Hate to make this assumption, but it probably doesn't help that I'm blonde and female. They talk to me like I'm a moron.

Thanks! The work order for the LCA/bushing repair is in my glove box but I'll check next time I visit my car at mazda.

For suspension and even some brake recommendations, I typically take my car to an alignment shop that does suspension and brake work. These guys have never let me down and I recommend them to many others. If you are in the San Diego area, I can give you the name of the alignment shop to which I referred.

Birch, I think you should include your city and state in your member info so someone in the area can make specific recommendations regarding repair shops or dealerships.

Ack, sorry. Noob. Added :)

I had both my front struts replaced by an independent shop I trust and no more squeaks or crunching noise.

2016.5 GT / 30k miles

Any suggestions on??

THANKS!!

I had the same problem! I found the problem! Here is the solution: Tighten up the bolts that hold the two strut towers in place. I tried everything else like lubing the control arms and bushings. That didn't work. On a Whim after some investigating tons of threads. I just walked out to the car, lifted the hood and tightened the bolts. The one bolt on the passengers side was hand tight. The problem instantly went away. There are actually three bolts on each side but you can only see two..These are not the strut mounting bolts that I am referring to, these bolts are closer to the cabin behind the strut bolts. I hope this helps!

UPDATE: finally picked up my car TODAY. Problem solved (thanks to google, not dealership).

After installing some sort of insulators, ripping apart the cowl, replacing struts... still no improvement. So I googled to death and found a description that ticked all the boxes to a T (see below). One new engine mount #4 later... voila, no more noise. Finally. At least I got some new free struts out of the ordeal. Hope this saves someone some hassle!

NHTSA ID Number: 10099442

Manufacturer Communication Number: SA-039-17

Summary

SOME CUSTOMERS MAY COMPLAIN OF A CREAKING NOISE WHEN DRIVING THROUGH A DIP OR BUMP IN THE ROAD WHILE ACCELERATING. THIS OCCURS WHEN THE VEHICLE IS COLD AND CANNOT BE DUPLICATED ONCE THE VEHICLE IS AT NORMAL OPERATING TEMPERATURE. THE CREAKING NOISE MAY BE CAUSED BY THE #4 ENGINE MOUNT. THE NOISE CAN EASILY BE MISTAKEN FOR SUSPENSION RELATED COMPONENTS AND IS VERY DIFFICULT TO DIAGNOSE.

https://mazda.oemdtc.com/1279/creak...g-through-a-dip-or-over-bumps-2016-mazda-cx-5

I didn't even notice that the TSB page was gone! Is there a forum policy now that states that we're not allowed to post Mazda TSBs on a Mazda forum? If so, that's ridiculous!
Mazda itself came after the forum for posting the TSBs. I am guessing the site owner/admin wants to maintain a good relationship with them, but yeah it sucks majorly.

Back