2016.5 Front left suspension metal clank noise

Hi, I own a 2016.5 CX-5 Touring FWD. Only 28K miles on vehicle. Well maintained.
Overall the suspension is working very well. It is the occasional clanking noise that is of concern from the front left.
On most road surfaces there is no strange noises and the suspension is working fine.
When the car encounters an occasional larger than normal dip that makes the car use its full suspension stroke that I hear the clank.
It is not when the car hits the bottom of the stroke that I hear this but rather when the car bounces fully back up and when the front strut is fully extended out on the up stroke (for example the same position as if the car is lifted off the ground when changing the wheel).
It is hard to replicate this but have found one or two places where I can fully extend the suspension to get that sound. Going over a certain speed bump triggered the noise once. Some fast freeway bumps can also do it to.
It is an instant loud clank of metal on metal. It almost feels like a strut bolt or engine bolt is loose. I hear this maybe once or twice a week when driving a lot. I will take it to the dealer soon to check it as still within my CPO warranty.
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem?

Good description, happens to me at bottom of a nearby dip only, and not always at that. Absolutely hate it, ruins an otherwise sublime driving experience

Hi, I own a 2016.5 CX-5 Touring FWD. Only 28K miles on vehicle. Well maintained.
Overall the suspension is working very well. It is the occasional clanking noise that is of concern from the front left.
On most road surfaces there is no strange noises and the suspension is working fine.
When the car encounters an occasional larger than normal dip that makes the car use its full suspension stroke that I hear the clank.
It is not when the car hits the bottom of the stroke that I hear this but rather when the car bounces fully back up and when the front strut is fully extended out on the up stroke (for example the same position as if the car is lifted off the ground when changing the wheel).
It is hard to replicate this but have found one or two places where I can fully extend the suspension to get that sound. Going over a certain speed bump triggered the noise once. Some fast freeway bumps can also do it to.
It is an instant loud clank of metal on metal. It almost feels like a strut bolt or engine bolt is loose. I hear this maybe once or twice a week when driving a lot. I will take it to the dealer soon to check it as still within my CPO warranty.
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem?
@mazdamod Any updates from your dealer’s visit? My guess would be the stabilizer bar link bolts are loose.

Back